Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got both Zulus on the Ramparts! and Soviet Dawn and, unless i'm doing something wrong, Soviet Dawn seems a lot easier to win - especially by getting a political win.

Has anyone else found this? Or do you think I've either been (i) playing something incorrectly, or (ii) been lucky with the dice rolls?

It doesn't matter at all - I'm loving both games - but I'm just curious...

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you are enjoying both games then it's a win/win That said, I think it's fair to say that the learning curve for Zulus is a bit steeper and figuring out the most effective way to sequence the cards takes the experience of multiple play throughs - of course given how quickly the games play, that isn't much of a problem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Are you playing Soviet Dawn with the Expansion Kit rules? Highly recommended. They really enrich gameplay.

I agree with your observation about most Soviet Dawn games ending in Political victory. To address this, I use the following house rules:

1) The Political Track can't be advanced to Allies Indecisive until the Allies actually enter the game. This makes the entry of the Allies a dangerous event. Without this rule, the Soviets just try to run up the score early to shut down the Alies as soon as they enter the game. This is is a powerful strategy.
2) The Political Track can't be advanced to Victory until the Dawn event cards have been added to the Event deck. This means the Soviets have to go the distance to get into a position to win the game. It also means if the Soviets get into a strong political position early, they can't sneak a win. They will have to defend it. Believe me, defending Petrograd and Kiev can be tough. So, too, are the political pressures dealt out by the Event deck as the game goes on.
3) The Political Track can't be advanced to Victory if an enemy front is is adjacent to Moscow. Again, this forces the Soviet player to deal with the military crisis at hand and not game the situation for a cheap Political Victory.

I can't understate how the Expansion Kit elevates the game. In particular, the changes to the combat system make battles much more unpredictable and the enemies of the Revolution much more dangerous. This, of course, makes for a more tense game.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info / advice.

I haven't been playing with the expansion, but I do have it - so I'll give that a go sometime soon (I've been getting used to the base game up to now). I also like the sound of your house rules, so depending on how I get on with the expansion rules, I may use those too.

Cheers !

Rich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have to say that I had completelly forgotten to play with
the Allies indecisive rule. And probably it makes the game more
difficult.

But I like a lot your house rules.Thanks.

I´m going to buy the S.D.Expansion kit together with The Lost Cause.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

By the way, Rich: very good idea to use one of the Zulu Dawn counters
as an avatar.wowwowwow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm really enjoying playing Zulus on the Ramparts! at the moment, so I thought it would be appropriate to change my avatar to reflect that cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.