Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael "Tie-Dyed-Eyes"
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I finally managed to play a few games of FREE TRADER, the solitaire card game by FNH1, host of the Print & Play Podcast.

I chose the TGOV version 1.0, and produced the game 5 days ago, and started to play, but got interrupted by life, and managed to try again today. First of all, I like all sorts of games, but looking back on my 30 years of gaming, the games I come back to again and again are the Sci-Fi trading games: Elite, Sundog, Tradewars (lots of Tradewars), Space Trader, Galaxy Trucker(?), and I even played a little Traveller, too. It may be beside the point to say, but my all-time favorite TV show is Firefly. So when I saw this FREE game by FNH1, I absolutely had to give it a try.

Game 1: aborted due to real life responsibilities (10 min reading, 5 min play)

Game 2: Lost (15 min)
Halfway through the first draw deck, I had a load of goods, but no upgrades, and spent my last credit to pay for the space jump. I encountered a Pirate 3. I couldn’t flee (no money for fuel) and the cards kept going their way, so I was just getting destroyed. If the right card showed up (A:3 D:1) on my attack, I could have beat them, but before that happened, the Event deck ran out, and the Finance Company showed up, saw what was left of their ship, wrote it off and left me there to die.

Game 3: Forfeit (3 min!)
On the first round, I gambled and lost. There was a huge potential on Illegals flying into Vultnae, so I loaded up, and then got busted by the cops. The fine was tremendous, and I wound up selling off half my ship just to pay it. So I pronounced myself the loser, and started a new game.

Game 4: Possible Profound Victory
(60-90 min with interruptions: I had to play Twister with the kids.)
I recalled my strategies from Elite & Sundog, and decided to steer clear of any shady activity until I knew I was strong enough to handle myself. But in the end, I was doing really well, and only shipped illegals once. At the end of the game my ship was almost totally upgraded, and I had 19 credits when the final payment for my ship was due, so I called that "Profound Victory." But I tack on the word "Possible" because I may have actually lost at the first payment cycle, but because I chose to see a loophole in the rules, I played on. Scenario: I had a load of goods, encountered pirates, and defeated them with the last card in the event deck. The rules say you must pay the bank "The moment you use the last card." But the card from a battle is also used for the sale prices when you land, so I reasoned that I hadn’t finished using it, so I sold the goods, and paid the bank.

I’ll see if we can get FNH1 to provide a ruling on that one, and post it here.

All in all, a perfect game for whiling away a rainy Saturday morning, with the dog curled up against my leg, whilst sitting on the floor in front of the fireplace.

With a wink toward the Podcast, I’ll rate it: Average

I’ll probably make the Linael v2.0 soon.

Rev. Tie-Dye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
revtiedye wrote:
Game 1: aborted due to real life responsibilities (10 min reading, 5 min play)

Real-life WHAT? That's so ungeek... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
revtiedye wrote:
Scenario: I had a load of goods, encountered pirates, and defeated them with the last card in the event deck. The rules say you must pay the bank "The moment you use the last card." But the card from a battle is also used for the sale prices when you land, so I reasoned that I hadn’t finished using it, so I sold the goods, and paid the bank.

I agree with your interpretation, and feel that requiring payments after the buy or sell phases of the game makes a lot of sense. However, I think it contradicts the rulebook:

"A payment becomes due when you have worked your way through the Events deck (at the moment you have used the last card even if in combat!)"

The "even if in combat" is kind of telling here since, if the rules worked according to your interpretation, then there would be no way this can happen in combat.

I think if you want to be correct and official, you'd have to make a distinction between "working through all the event cards" (which you hadn't done yet) and "working through the event deck" (which you did, since the deck was empty).

So yeah, although I like your variant interpretation better, I don't think you were playing strictly according to the rules you originally set out to play by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.