Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
I've just tried a 4-player dummy game with the Demons and they were very difficult to get off the board. I think they need 4 starting tokens, maybe even 3.

We are currently trying them in a pbf game...

Yes, they are hard to kill, that's their strength... In terms of VP they are like another and not particularly better...
It seems that you need to play them more turns than another race to benefit from them, like 3 or 4 turns it seems...
The game balance is not too bad as it is... Starting them at 4 would be too damaging I think but maybe lowering their max counters to 14 or 13 might be good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ryen alicandro
msg tools
Having played with them, my feeling is that they're balanced pretty well. You need to keep them around for a long time, and they aren't very mobile, but they do set you up for a good decline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them, and think they are pretty well balanced.

It's quite easy to get them to prosper, since you get the extra demons mid-turn, and an extra demon at the end of turn. It's also a bit confusing. Maybe they should just get them at the end of the turn during re-deployment?

However they are quiet immobile, since giving up a magic region causes them to lose a demon, and then they might just keep the region instead of vacating it.

Hit them hard and they will lose demons fast. Hit one of their magic regions, and they will lose 2 demons, 1 for being conquered, and 1 for losing a magic region. Unless they have 2 demons on the magic region, it means they will lose two regions if they are spread out thinly.

I think they will be devastating with the Merchant power, and possible other powers as well, but the same can be said about many other race/power combinations (*cough*Gypsies/Cowardly*).

Limiting them to fewer max counters seems like a good fix.

Lars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ryen alicandro
msg tools
Good call about hitting the Demons hard- that's what I would do after they had a couple of turns to spread out.

As far as the Cowardly goes, I'm not all that big on it because it just seems like an overpowered version of Pillaging- With Pillaging you're going to end up (frequently) with 3 counters on a region and you'll get a +1 bonus for having taken a counter off the board. With Cowardly you're going to end up (frequently) with 3 counters on a region and you'll get a +1 bonus for having been 3 stacked, however, even if there are no single counters that can be reached the Cowards can still get the bonus just for 3 stacking.

I realize that in our game the Gypsy/Coward combo is just a really good one, and that Cowardly wouldn't always be such a boon, but I still think that it's just a better version of Pillaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have replied on Cowardly here:
www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/493755/cowardly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played another game with the demons and I will fine tune the power to having the gained demons for magic source appear only for redeployment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.