Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please characterize your last 50 play sessions (roughly) by how many different games they comprised. Then, for the game you've played most, give us one or two strategy tips that'll help us play that game better!

Poll
Your last 50 plays comprised how many different games?
2-3
4-5
6-10
10-20
21-30
31-40
41-50
      247 answers
Poll created by Hungadunga
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is my most played game. This site is full of strategy articles for this game, but here is my two tips:

1) Don't forget that the object of the game is to collect victory point cards, not action cards.

2) Victory point cards cost money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Most played from the past 50 sessions for me is Pandemic.

We were new to the game but my advice is this, dont get too concentrated on having the researcher hand cards to the scientist. Sometimes other players are sitting on 4 of the 5 cards they need to cure a disease. We got wrapped up in the researcher and scientist working together but thankfully caught it and beat the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most played of the last 50 games played is probably Ra: the Dice Game. A neat little dice game I like quite a bit - I think it ranks as high as Roll Through the Ages for me. Strategy depends on the roll of the dice, but certainly the following I think are true:

If early on you are rolling a lot of Nile results, push the Nile marker as far as you can in the first Epoch so that subsequent turns can give you a lot of points for simply flooding. Focus less on the Nile in later epochs.

Don't allow someone to take the opints for being the leader in Pharoes every Epoch. It may not seem like much, but especially in a 2 player game the points swing is significant over 3 Epochs.

Make sure that for most Epochs you get at least 1 civilisation.

Play aggresively with your second monument, and place your first in a column with others of your own. The monuments section is well worth spending quite a bit of focus on. Do your best to get 3, 4, or 5 in a column, and stop other people from doing the same!

All fairly logical probably!

A fun game.

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
32 different games.

I'm happy to see that the revival of Hey, That's My Fish! put it in first place, with 6 plays.
H!TmF strategies:
- isolating penguins is at least as important a goal as claiming multiple fish
- isolating one of your own penguins often nets results

Second place goes to Commands & Colors: Ancients (5 plays), which would leap into first (+4 plays) if I counted expansions. I have no strategy recommendations here, as I think I've won one game in all that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
34 games for me (33 if you don't count Thurn and Taxis: Power and Glory as a separate game). There's a couple of games that see regular play during the week, but on weekends I try to break out games that don't get played as often. Most played for me are Notre Dame and Jambo with 5 playes each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Twenty three games. 17 of the last 50 plays have been sessions of World in Flames. Strategy tip for that? Consider having a build plan for construction of new units when you start the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just over a dirty dozen games.
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game Use green executive order cards lots so you can get more turns so humans can win.

Imperial Use the investment card method of game play, without seems to be a boring game that is much the same as other dull games.

Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie Bring two sets of fixed die, on set that rolls hits, and one set that rolls shields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-9 different games total. The game I've played the most in that stretch is Backgammon. And my only tips are:
1 Be patient! Try to keep your pieces together as much as possible and don't worry about the two that start on your opponents inner table. Watch for a chance to move them but be careful about it!

2 Try to make as many points as possible in your inner table. Even distribution of those closed points can be critical in the end.

I know, I know this is Backgammon 101, but these are the two main strategy tips that I can emphasize from my last d10-3 d10-6 plays and I went 23-13 so I must be doing something right or at least a little something right since +10 in wins is not exactly stats that will qualify me for the Backgammon Pantheon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at my last 50, it definitely exceeds 40 different games. The game I played the most would be Through the Ages. And my strategy Tip? 1. Never Lag on military.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of my last 50 plays it has included 26 different games.

The most played game has been Ticket to Ride/Ticket to Ride Europe.

Each game is quite different due to the different hand of tickets. As well as this you have to keep in mind the different playing style of opponents.

Generally I try to have three things in mind in the early stages of any T2R game:

1: how can I incorporate the six-section tracks into my routes?
2: where are the most crucial potential bottlenecks (as I need to take possession of them sooner rather than later)?
3: are other players taking colour combinations of carriage cards that make me suspect they may be interested in the same parts of the board that I am interested in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
7 plays of Scrabble (30-some different games).

Strategy: know your 2- and 3-letter words and draw good letters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
17 different games. My most played is Dominion.

Advice: In the endgame, buying an extra Estate is often the difference between winning and losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wystan Benbow
United States
Stoneham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Blazars are a special type of active galaxy that indirectly pay for my boardgame habit
badge
Life is good!
mbmbmbmbmb
32 different games for me

Valdora (5x):

Advice:
1) Be sure to be efficient (i.e. buy multiple commissions, buy multiple equipment, complete multiple commissions on the same turn -- it's worth spending all your coins to turn pages to enable this)

2) The cart & donkey rule!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Ticket To Ride:

Tip #1: Hold on to as many cards as possible before building routes.
Tip #2: Sometimes it's a good idea to draw three new destination cards on your first turn (in addition to the ones you're dealt).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, except for the 9 games of chess, all the games were from The Games of War. However, there were at least 8 different games from that book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, 10-20 is supposed to be 11-20.

Sorry about that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the most played games have been the Combat Commander series (Combat Commander: Europe and Combat Commander: Pacific). For the CC games, it's important to keep in mind that there is so much chaos generated by random events on the cards that it's important to set up well (cover all objective hexes if you're the defender, have a good medium to long range fire force for suppresive fire and a maneuver force to take objectives if you're the attacker) and don't give up! A victory in a melee near the end of the game can mean the difference between winning and losing a scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roughly 14.

My most played game is Carcassonne. Every time you play a tile, play it so you will get more points. Sometimes it's not obvious, and sometimes it is. If this is not at all possible, play it to screw over an opponent you feel is the biggest threat. Also, always keep one or two spare meeples in reserve - it's easy to pick up unclaimed cities for an easy 4 or unclaimed road segments for an easy 2 or 3. Plus you may draw that cloister that fits somewhere where it's already surrounded.

If you are using Traders & Builders, only finish someone else's city for goods if you really think it will help you get a majority of a resource. Otherwise, let them finish their city on their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
Please characterize your last 50 play sessions (roughly) by how many different games they comprised. Then, for the game you've played most, give us one or two strategy tips that'll help us play that game better!

I estimate the high 20's.

The game I've played the most is probably a filler, most likely 6 Nimmt! (aka Category 5). Think about how you are going to get rid of your low cards - you have limited opportunities. Try to play cards just 1 or 2 higher than the card on the end of a row.

The most played (by time spent) is Battlestar Galactica - 4 plays.

Humans need to use executive order as much as possible, conserve fuel and scout the destination deck.

Cylons should stay hidden and try to frame other players (and get them brigged), or reveal while there is a ton of cylon ships and a long time before jumping.

I wrote a strategy article here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/461948/bsg-101-thoughts-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Twenty three games. The most played is Hansa Teutonica with 11 plays.

Strategic suggestion: Be careful about when and how you displace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that more than half of the 50 plays were games of Race for the Galaxy, and that I won only two games, I don't feel I'm able to offer any authoritative strategy tips, but I can give tips for anyone who might play against me:

1) try to discern my strategy from the cards I play;

2) if I have more than 3 worlds without resources I will tend to Produce, so you can feel confident in picking a different action that you will get to produce that turn;

3) I don't like Consume x2, I prefer the extra cards that Consume-Trade gives me, so don't worry about me scoring VPs off the Consume phase;

4) having surmised my intended strategy, go for something different.

By following these simple rules, you will score more points than me. Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8 games. Would've been 7 if my friend had not shown up for Man O' War . Of those 50, WWE Raw Deal makes up nearly half (24 plays). Which is in no way surprising, given its 1658 plays since August 08. It's averaging 60 plays a month.

#1: Keeping an eye on what goes to the Ringside pile (discard pile), especially the reversals. Deck only has 60 cards and can have 3x each non-unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My last 50 recorded plays are from 39 different games. Most of my gaming the last 3 months has been from attending boardgame meetups and I haven't gotten much opportunity to repeat games during that time.

Of those plays my top by count are Commands & Colors: Ancients with 5 and Hansa Teutonica with 4. I don't have any tips yet for C&C, but I have one for HT: don't underestimate the move ability and go where they ain't. My most satisfying moves in HT were when I made my opponents think I was working on one route, then they put a piece there to block me, hoping I would displace them. Then I swept my pieces elsewhere, completed a route, and left them wasting a move. Oh, and also don't underestimate the value of those chips. They can turn into a pile of points.

If I recorded computer plays, Race for the Galaxy would dominate all other games. I might get 50 plays in every couple days against the AI. My tips: keep an eye on the goals, and the AI is extremely conservative for the first few turns. If you resist selecting develop or settle and the 6-cost development goal is out, you can probably go several turns of +1/+1 exploring before anyone builds anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attila Kisvári
Hungary
Bokros
Csongrád
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
35 different games. Most played is Assyria with 4 plays.

Strategy tips:

-Never allow to be blocked.
-If you want to build ziggurats build them asap.
-Don't ever go below 1 camel to 1 point ratio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.