Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked through the FAQ and scanned the Rules forum, but couldn't find an answer to this question. Can you reveal a Reaction card twice in reaction to the same Attack? Can it be the same copy of the card? For instance:

An opponent plays an Action - Attack card. I have a single Secret Chamber card in my hand. I reveal it and draw a Moat. I put two cards back on my deck, keeping both Reaction cards in my hand. I then reveal the Moat to prevent the Attack card from affecting me. Can I then reveal my Secret Chamber again in order to put my Moat back onto my deck for so that I can draw it during my Clean-Up phase?

Intuitively it seems like this shouldn't be allowed. But really, what's to stop an unscrupulous player from doing it? After all, your opponents can't prove that you didn't have another Secret Chamber in your hand.

From what I know, nothing in Dominion relies on the honor system. So I'm guessing one of two rulings will be made on this:

1. You may reveal a copy of a Reaction card as many times as you want in response to an Attack card.

OR

2. You may not reveal the same Reaction card more than once in response to the same Attack card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing is mentioned in the rules about that.

As I interprete the rules, I'd say you can reveal any reaction card as many times as you want, in response to an attack card.

So, I'd say: yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
However, the revealed cards are put back to your hand after you've revealed all reaction cards you wanted.

Sorry, but you're wrong about this. When you reveal a Reaction, it's still in your hand. The Intrigue rules for Secret Chamber specifically state that when you reveal a Secret Chamber, you can put that same Secret Chamber back on top of your deck. According to your interpretation of the rules, this wouldn't be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weeks
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't reveal one reaction card multiple times on an attack. I don't even know why you would want too. If you reveal a secret chamber then you draw 2 cards from your deck which give you 7 in your hand. You then put 2 cards back on top of your deck to leave you with 5 in your hand. If you reveal the same secret chamber a second time then you'd simply pick up the 2 cards you just put back. What would be the point?

If you pick up a moat from the secret chamber draw 2 then you can either keep it or put it or the secret chamber back on top of your deck. If you keep the moat then you can use it to stop the next attack but not this one. You have to reveal all reaction cards at the same time.

Now, if you have a moat and a secret chamber in hand then you can reveal both, draw 2 cards, put 2 back and not suffer the effect of the attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been asked by me and answered by Don:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3608070#3608070

The short answer is that you can reveal a reaction as many times as you like. Normally you only do it once, but in the case of drawing a Moat due to a Secret Chamber, you can play the SC again if you really wanted to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

"Reveal" does not mean "Discard."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
The short answer is that you can reveal a reaction as many times as you like. Normally you only do it once, but in the case of drawing a Moat due to a Secret Chamber, you can play the SC again if you really wanted to.

Thanks for the response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weeks
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

But what would be the point? The second play would only make you draw the 2 cards you just put back on to your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxatoys wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

But what would be the point? The second play would only make you draw the 2 cards you just put back on to your deck.

Read through the situation I gave in my original post more carefully. The idea is that I get my Moat from the top of my deck using my Secret Chamber and then use my Secret Chamber to put it back on my deck so that I can use it to protect myself again on my next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxatoys wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Please read the link you quoted.
The text attributed to me spells out exactly why you would want to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.