Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ornelles
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My 11 year old son and I decided to play the basic version of "A House Divided". He played as the North and I played the South.

Early Game:
Of course the first action seen was a massive battle at Manassas Junction which saw the confederates dispersed and a small token remaining Union force retreat into Washington where they North quickly recruited fresh troops. Along the coast I built a small defense force in case my son tried any naval invasion (he loves to do that and often rolls well).

Mid Game: The first Union draft really hurt with all his units being placed in Pittsburgh or the north east recruiting centers. I am slowly building a dispersed army out west but keep all the units spread out so my son doesn't feel threatend by a "Big Stack". I have a huge army in Richmond and he also sits in Washington with a huge force as we stare at each other and promote units. I slowly use some good march rolls to get my forces out west into range of Cairo which he leaves undefended.

Late Game: With a sudden set of 6's march rolls I am able to combine forces and take Cairo. I also move from Richmond up to Staunton and then on to Franklin and Grafton cutting the Union into three sections. My son finally sees what I am up to but his march rolls are not that great now and he can't get his armies moving in all places at once.

End Game: From Cairo the Confederate forces assault and take St. Louis in a bloody fight. From Grafton my huge invading army moves up and slogs it out with reinforcements coming from all over the Union in Pittsburgh. I barely survive a rolling battle with him there as he calls in reinforcements each round in a large battle there. He drives down from Washington through undefended Fredericksburg but meets my reinforcements moving up from the southern coastline just in the nick of time. A assaults Richmond but fails to take it.

Final Game: I have now divided the Union into three sections and depsite his having lots of tough forces they are too scattered to do anything effective. His last reserves from Philly fight it out with Confederates moving east from Pittsburgh and drive me back but the game is pretty much over.

I showed my son no mercy (since he has beaten me several times and has incredible luck with dice most of the time too). This is my first victory over him at House Divided. He of course, reminds me that I still can't beat him at video games and only won because..."Cardboard moves slower"....haha...I love that!

I am not sure if we are playing the game right...is there a stacking limit? We always seem to end up with huge stacks/armies on the board which inevitably move into large "decide the game" battles....are we playing this right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are playing right. I hear if you use the supply line optional rules it will cut down on large stacks by forcing each player top spread out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Blanchett
Australia
Clifton Hill
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjornelles wrote:
still can't beat him at video games and only won because..."Cardboard moves slower"....haha...I love that!

thats a quote

love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.