♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
When selecting this action on your turn, do you discard as many cards from your hand for cubes as you wish, all for one action, or do you spend one action to discard one card for one cube, a second action to discard a second card for a second cube, etc.? In our one playing of this, we weren't clear on the rule, and based our interpretation on a translation, which we didn't figure was 100% reliable.

Does anyone know for sure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One action to discard all cards (from inventions already on the table).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, totally forgot about doing that action in my (first) game today. Instead I used those cards for colored pairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sanheim
Canada
Coppersands
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of discussion. - Plato.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we sure this is correct? I too was confused after reading the english translation but decided it probably was intended to be one discard per action. Otherwise, it seems pretty powerful (to be able to collect a significant number of cubes for one action) and makes repeating this same action pointless which appears to be contrary to the rest of the game.
I would love to hear from someone who is able to read the original german rules and/or the designer(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dagger
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James_Sanheim wrote:
Are we sure this is correct? I too was confused after reading the english translation but decided it probably was intended to be one discard per action. Otherwise, it seems pretty powerful (to be able to collect a significant number of cubes for one action) and makes repeating this same action pointless which appears to be contrary to the rest of the game.
I would love to hear from someone who is able to read the original german rules and/or the designer(s).

The key words in the German are "beliebig viele", which mean "as many as you like".

There is then an example in which "Marco" has a "Wasserrad" card and a "Flaschenzug" card in his hand. He already has a "Flaschenzug" in his display and one of his opponents has "Wasserrad" in his, Marco discards both cards from his hand and takes 1 blue and 1 pink cube from the pool.
(This is at the bottom of page 7 of the German rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James_Sanheim wrote:
Otherwise, it seems pretty powerful (to be able to collect a significant number of cubes for one action) and makes repeating this same action pointless which appears to be contrary to the rest of the game.

I don't see how you can get a "significant" number of cubes.

First of all, only cards that are already built qualify, so right off the top a bunch of cards in my hand can't be used to get cubes.

Then, most of the cards get used to build a building in the first place, so there's usually only one card left, sometimes two of that invention in the entire deck that would qualify for cube getting. (4 cards exist of a level 3 invention, often 3 are used to build it in the first place, leaving just 1 in the deck).

Then, you have to be lucky enough to have them in your hand at the same time. And of course, in your hand you already have cards you're trying to build in the future, multiples of them sometimes, perhaps colour pairs you're keeping for wild card purposes.

This action gets you about 2 cubes, from what I've seen. When you're lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.