Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Met two new good guys on Vassal tonight - Ron and Joe. We all worked through a learning / semi-competitive Fat Lipki.

Great fun as usual especially the hot-footed Cpl Winkler running due north through the woods, straight between two crowds of Russians, and off the board.
Two queries came up for me which I am SURE are in the rules, but it is late and I would appreciate any help...

1. CROSSFIRE When playing Crossfire, if it is used as part of an Op Fire attack and only some of the units in the stack have moved, do you apply the +2 to all units in the stack, given that there is only one Fire Attack Roll for the stack? Even the stationary units? Or do you somehow differentiate between individual units in the stack in terms of the applied Fire Attack figure? I reckon the former so all units suffer the higher Fire Attack - right?

2. ACTIVATING FOR OP FIRE Let's say there is a Russian unit in hex A plus a Russian unit and Leader in hex B. A German unit moves into hex C, which is in line of sight of A but not B. Can only the unit in A activate as it is the only one with LOS to C, or can the Leader in B activate to then activate both the unit in A and the unit in B? I believe that only the unit in A can activate as the leader would need LOS to the German unit in C to activate. Once he HAD los then he could activate A and B. One implication is than that the following is possible...

German moves to C. Russian in A Op Fires and is activated for this Order
German moves to D, now in LOS of A and B. Russian uses a SECOND Op Fire Action and Leader plus unit in B activates and the Leader plus units in A and B create a Fire Group into D.

So with only one Op Fire action, you need to wait for the Leader to see the enemy if you want to activate several hexes, as a fire group. You can't activate (but not initially shoot with) a group in the hope that the enemy will progress into the LOS of more than the 'original spotter'

Right?

Fentum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross Fire - there is only one fire total for each attack

Op Fire follow all normal rules for Fire Orders (O.20)

O20.1 For a fire Order to be announced, at least one of the activated units (or its Weapon)must have an enemy unit within both is LOS and Range.

The gray box tells you: You can activate Leader A to fire, who then activates Squad B. This is legal if Squad B is the only one of the two with both LOS and Range to an enemy unit.

And a unit can be activated only once, whether it fires or not.

(I'm sure someone else will beat me to the rest of your questions)

edit: Guess not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Scoutmom is correct, but to add a bit of colour to the answers...

fentum wrote:
1. CROSSFIRE When playing Crossfire, if it is used as part of an Op Fire attack and only some of the units in the stack have moved, do you apply the +2 to all units in the stack[/b]

Look at the prerequisites in the rules. This action is played:

(1) just prior to making a fire attack roll
(2) firing at one or more moving units.

You have met both prerequisites, so apply the effect (increase the Fire Attack by +2). This is a case of "interpret strictly". Nothing in the rules suggests you only apply this to moving units. Only that moving units must be targeted when applying this action. They were, so the non-moving units get caught in the crossfire also. The opponent should remember that next time he moves into a hex with non-moving unit.

fentum wrote:
2. ACTIVATING FOR OP FIRE So with only one Op Fire action, you need to wait for the Leader to see the enemy if you want to activate several hexes, as a fire group. You can't activate (but not initially shoot with) a group in the hope that the enemy will progress into the LOS of more than the 'original spotter'

Right?

Wrong as Scoutmom has pointed out. Leader B can activate everyone with the OpFire Action even though only Unit A has the initial shot. This is a common tactic to activate other units in anticipation of future moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thansk to both of you for teh helpful info.

The crossfire I thought was as you say. The Activation I wasn't sure of as it go either way but ta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My confusion on the crossfire was due to the card text in a vassal game

mentions moving target and thought soem are some aren't. rules not to hand so fine now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
fentum wrote:
My confusion on the crossfire was due to the card text in a vassal game

The card text is just a prompter for the full rules which are found in the rulebook (obviously). So if in doubt - check the rule book. As it is downloadable in PDF format - easy to have on the computer also as you play via Vassal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Richard. Apologies for the crazy grammar and dubious spelling on my previous two posts. A lateness, tiredness and thick fingers combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
No apologies needed Scott. Just glad you are enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for your patience, Scott. It was great to meet you and get a CC:E lesson in the process. I hope we cross swords again sometime in the future.

P.S. I'm glad that Winkler's run amused you. I was hoping to bag some points and cycle him back in before the boys on your left got too mobile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Joe,

Likewise a pleasure. Winkler was great. Would have been interesting to see both sides using the orchard road as a sprinting track.

Regards,

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.