Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Abrams
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
mb
Choosing the brown action allows you to acquire a painting. Thereafter, choosing the brown allows you to pick another painting "or to make a one guilder payment to a painter." My question is: if you have two or more painters, does choosing the brown action allow you you place 1 guilder on each of your painters, or only one? If only one, then the option to pick another painter doesn't make a lot of sense. You'd always add the guilder until the painting was finished before choosing another. The rules don't speak specifically to this scenario, and I am reluctant to interpret the reference to "a painter" as limiting it to one, given the option of buying a second painter.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Cano
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I understand is: when you turn a brown action marker you can hire a painter. Inmediatly if you have 1 coin you can put one on the card.

In a later turn, as a free action you can put a coin on the card without flipping a brown action marker nor pay 3 guilder for activate the brown action marker.

When all the money needed is on the card you score the points.

Maybe I'm doing things wrong but that's what I understand. So, you can keep turning you're brown marker and purchasing more painting cards and put one coin in everyone you own in the same turn. Note that you can achieve 33 points easily but you will need a lot of money to put one coin in every card each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan B.
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that really how it should work? I always played it that you needed to turn your marker to place 1 guilder on one painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Cano
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I readed the rules again and you're right. I was playing wrong. This changes a lot the game. Sorry.

The only way to pay two painters in the same turn is having two brown influence markers from the three there are in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian B
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
The truth is a lemon meringue!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is another confusing thing about the brown action. If you win an auction for a brown action and you choose to place 1G on the painting where does it come from?

We are playing it comes from the bank.

Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Cano
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Batz wrote:
There is another confusing thing about the brown action. If you win an auction for a brown action and you choose to place 1G on the painting where does it come from?

Ian

No, I think you must pay from your money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian B
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
The truth is a lemon meringue!
mbmbmbmbmb
This game needs an FAQ!
Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seoul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
bravucon wrote:
Batz wrote:

Ian

No, I think you must pay from your money.

Correct. The action you have purchased in the auction is the "privilege" to pay the artist. You must pay with your own gilders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Curwen

New York
msg tools
So do you need to spend 3 guilders to turn your marker and then 1 to put on your painting, or do you just turn the marker for free and put 1 on your painting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Maurer
United States
Waldwick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
You either pay 3 guilders to take a card or put 1 guilder on a card to pay a painter .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
stormkingleader wrote:
You either pay 3 guilders to take a card or put 1 guilder on a card to pay a painter .

The text of the rules (the specifics of what the or applies to) is unclear. Should the rule for using a brown action be:

--- Option 1 ---
You either
a) pay 3 guilders to take a card
or
b) pay 1 guilder to an artist (place it on the card)

OR
--- Option 2 ---
You pay 3 guilders to either
a) take a card
or
b) pay 1 guilder to an artist (place it on the card)

The ratio of guilders to VP in Option 2 seems to be more consistent with the other parts of the game; Option 1 makes artists really cheap VP producers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.