Hide
8 Posts

Ghost Stories» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo play: Blue monk w/ Second Wind. Can I use Pavilion twice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vano Chu
msg tools
So I've read the threads that say in a solo game, the Pavilion of the Heavenly Wind works such that you must move a ghost and must move your monk. If I'm playing the blue monk with the Second Wind ability showing (request aid from villagers twice OR attempt 2 exorcisms), what's the right way to resolve trying to use the Pavilion twice?

A. [use Pavilion twice; optional to relocate monk] On my first use the of the Pavilion, I move a ghost to an empty space and then "move" myself back onto the Pavilion (the rules say "move a Taoist... to ANY Village tile" -- so can it be the same tile?). On my second use of the Pavilion, I move another ghost and then move myself to the Buddhist Temple.

B. [can use 2 different villagers in one turn] I use the Pavilion to move a ghost and then MUST move myself to a DIFFERENT Village tile (say, the Herbalist) to meet the "move a Taoist" requirement of the tile. I can request aid from villagers one more time, so since I'm now standing on the Herbalist tile, I scoop up two Tao tokens.

C. [use Pavilion twice; must relocate monk twice] I use the Pavilion to move a ghost and then MUST move myself to a DIFFERENT Village tile (say, the Herbalist) to meet the "move a Taoist" requirement of the tile. However, the villager power that I get to use twice is the Pavilion's (since I was originally standing on the Pavilion when I chose to ask villager aid twice rather than exorcise ghosts twice for my double-action). So, even though I'm no longer standing on the Pavilion, I can move another ghost, and then MUST move my monk to a DIFFERENT tile (i.e. off the Herbalist).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A: The movement is definitely not optional

B: Is correct. You have a 'second wind' and can ask twice. In this case you are on the second tile when it is your turn to take a second action.

C: I don't even understand this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is really an interesting question here, because you are moving while taking an action.

In case nobody knows an answer I would suggest asking the author (A. Bauza).

Dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's b. It must be a different tile. You take the second action on the tile you moved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question! Never seen it come up before. It's definitely not A nor C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vano Chu
msg tools
Thanks for the replies. I agree that forcing the move and treating the villager activations as sequential events per "B" is the most intuitive answer.

Too many years of playing Magic have left me with a tendency to look for loopholes in the rules (like "moving" to the same tile) and to interpret game events as "instantiations" that get queued up to take effect based on the games' configuration at the time I declared an action.

This was helpful, but will make my solo games more difficult! (I was previously playing using interpretation "A".)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre 113
Canada
flag msg tools
French rules I have are the updated rules from author. These rules state this:

1. Second Souffle
Le Taoïste bleu peut ralentir le cours du temps.
Il peut demander deux fois l’aide du villageois
l’exception du Pavillon des Vents Céleste pour lequel
une double action est sans effet)
OU tenter deux exorcismes
à partir de la tuile où il se trouve. Ces deux exorcismes
sont indépendants : le joueur ne peut pas conserver les faces de couleur
obtenues lors du premier jet pour le deuxième.

Specifically in english it means:

Second Wind. Blue taoist can slow down time. He can ask the villager's help twice (except Heavenly Gates Pavillion where double action is not possible / without effect) OR try two exorcisms...

Clearly, the author simply forbade double-Village-tile-help on that Village tile.

As for Heavenly Gates "moving to the same tile", that is no more possible than moving to any tile: Hreavenly Gates updated rules say:

Déplacez un fantôme de votre choix vers n’importe quel
emplacement libre (cet emplacement peut éventuellement
être occupé par une figurine Bouddha), puis déplacez un autre Taoïste d’une tuile Village.

In english:

Move one ghost of your choice to any empty ghost spot (which may be occupied by a buddha in it), then move one other taoist by one Village tile.

Clearly, staying on the same tile, would be "moving zero tile", and not moving "one" tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lasko
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pierre113 wrote:
French rules I have are the updated rules from author. These rules state this:

As for Heavenly Gates "moving to the same tile", that is no more possible than moving to any tile: Hreavenly Gates updated rules say:

Déplacez un fantôme de votre choix vers n’importe quel
emplacement libre (cet emplacement peut éventuellement
être occupé par une figurine Bouddha), puis déplacez un autre Taoïste d’une tuile Village.

In english:

Move one ghost of your choice to any empty ghost spot (which may be occupied by a buddha in it), then move one other taoist by one Village tile.

Clearly, staying on the same tile, would be "moving zero tile", and not moving "one" tile.

I think that it means that you can't move other player to any village tile, not that you must move the other player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.