Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: TI3 Vassal Module rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
? Riddle
msg tools
I've recently been modifying the Twilight Imperium Vassal Module located here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8yj9zbenif2

After posting on the vassal forum about the improvements and changes I've made to it in order to make it mechanically/aesthetically playable in the current version of vassal, I was told to post here in an attempt to reach anyone else who may be working to improve the vassal modules for this game.

I've already been told that the original author of this mod has quit supporting it, and the module located on the vassal site is not suitable to live network play (and is also buggy from not being updated).

If there is nobody currently working on these, I will be inclined to publish my current work, or if there is, perhaps I could have them look over the changes I've made and give me feedback/suggestions.

For more details, my current thread is located at: http://www.vassalengine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2893
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko M
msg tools
Nice job that you've taken this under your development. I just found about that you can play TI3 online and would love to give it a try. not too familiar with the VASSAL program tho so that needs some practice i guess. the whole system just seems confusing. There should be guide how to play this thing on VASSAL
Also i wonder if there's many ppl wanting to play this over internet.
I guess this is more ment to be played with friends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grégory Guazzelli
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

It's possible to have a list of what you have improuved or added ?

Do you have received feedbacks from players who are fluent in "TI3 Vassal use" ?

Regards,

Grégory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played the VASSAL version of TI3 online. I have played many PBeM games through the TI3wiki.org. You would probably get more players by posting over there as it is already a thriving TI3 online community with lots of variants. If The VASSAL module could support those variants then I would playa game of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
? Riddle
msg tools
I haven't gotten very much feedback on the module at all as of yet. I know that people have been trying it out; however, the results of those tests have not been shared with me.

As far as lists of changes are concerned, most of them were aesthetic. Many actions were reported incorrectly, and some basic functions weren't working due to the windows being implemented improperly (probably due to the earlier version which had all the player areas in a single window).

Regarding PBEM, I know I can't guarantee that my version will be better than the current widely-used version of the TI3 module. I removed most, if not all, of the GM functions and removed the relevant permission restrictions to allow players to set up the game themselves (much like what would happen during a physical game of TI3). Whether or not this is acceptable for PBEM gameplay is up for debate, and probably depends on how much players are willing to trust each other... as well as whether or not they plan to betray that trust during an online game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a real time VASSAL game of TI3 once before. It was awesome and I'd love to play again! Just message me if you want.

And yeah, probably you want to post on ti3wiki.org for additional players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
? Riddle
msg tools
Eppic wrote:
I played a real time VASSAL game of TI3 once before. It was awesome and I'd love to play again! Just message me if you want.

And yeah, probably you want to post on ti3wiki.org for additional players.

I posted at the TI3Wiki site, so hopefully I can get more thorough feedback from them.

Once you get used to the module, VASSAL TI3 is really quite something. My friends and I always have a great time. My ultimate goal was to make the online variant as close to playing the actual game as possible while still keeping things relatively organized, and I think I've done well in that respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chu
msg tools
so I'm a diehard TI3 fan and I just downloaded Vassal and the TI3 mod. I'm completely familiar with all the TI3 rules, but I'm new to Vassal and have no idea how to use it. Could anybody let me know how you get a game started?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not now how many people stil play the VASSAL edition but there are lots of players on the wiki

http://www.ti3wiki.org/forum/YaBB.pl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Jones
United States
Warrior
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the TI3 wiki as a good source for online play.

Since there are typically 6-8 players per game, I'm not sure how practical VASSAL would be to play. Would you email the logfile to each player after making your moves, then wait for a response from each one?

As for real time play, VASSAL would be the way to go, for sure. I use it to play 40k and ASL pretty often, playing in real time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.