Subject: Suggestion to add categories an mechanisms rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raven Johnson
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
Suggestion to add category: "Game Show", since Game Show games really have nothing to do with "Movies/TV" in most case (i.e. Wheel of Fortune, Password, etc.), and to add Mechanism "Guessing" and "Dexterity", the latter of which is currently under "Category" even though this has nothing to do with categories in the manner this site uses them. So, because of this, there is currently no "Mechanism" that fits the game of Perfection, or say a bowling game. And also the Mechanism of "Knowledge," which would apply to most trivia games, since trivia games do not (usually) require "Memory" as a "Mechanism", and "Memory" in this case is different then "Knowledge"... in other words you are not memorizing anything you have seen in the game. Examples: Jeopardy, Trivial Pursuit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chen
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
But you are using your MEMORY of the facts (aka knowledge) to answer questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Johnson
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
How does memory qualify for "aka knowledge"? The two definitions have nothing to do with each other! Well, not much anyway.

If you are using your "memory" of PREVIOUS FACTS to answer questions, that means that "memory" is not being used as a mechanism in the game.

(This would be the reason why only of the many trivia games I looked at had "memory" listed as a mechanism... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chen
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're just using a very narrow definition of memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory

People who study memory (psychologists) would have issue with you saying the two have nothing to do with each other. There's all kinds of memory - working memory (short term memory), episodic memory, semantic memory (memory for facts, definitions, statements), there's iconic memory, echoic memory.

And just an FYI, most people incorrectly use the term short-term memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chen
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rayvn7 wrote:

(This would be the reason why only of the many trivia games I looked at had "memory" listed as a mechanism... )

For someone who criticizes the BGG mechanisms categories, it's funny that you're using it to try to support your point. *shrug*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.