Subject: Child's Play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After enjoying Agricola since getting it last September, then its expansion at Christmas, then Loyang a couple weeks later, I was ready to invest in this game that's garnering so much enthusiasm here. I bought it yesterday, and was caught by my eight-year-old walking in the door: "You got a new game?!" I need to figure it out first, Jay. "That's okay, I want to play." I read the instructions beforehand, but still fumbled through the cards trying to set it up for two-player, short version. Jay, you put these pieces on the supply areas. "Okay!"

Game underway, and we're both being very thoughtful about our choices. So thoughtful, I was worried this was a reeeeally slow game by design. After the first round, I started moving a little quicker and coaching Jay: It's okay, it's just a practice game; don't worry, just try something. He was catching on pretty well from what I could tell (he's a very good boardgamer for his age). Our only known error (and it was my error) was selecting the next round's starting player by the number indicated on the round card that was being flipped over (instead of the one that was being revealed) -- that explained why he was allowed to go first twice in a row, which didn't make sense.

We were moving along, getting a good sense and feel of the flow of the game. The mechanics were working fine and seemed natural. I referred to the building reference guide only a couple times to answer specific questions. Neither of us had to take a loan, but then as you'll see in our scores, we weren't being aggressive at all with our plays.

We wrapped the last round and took one more major action, but with the belief we both still couldn't occupy a building together. No matter, I wasn't going to build another ship, so Jay got the wharf. We totaled our scores and came out 96-90 in my favor. Then I remembered: we didn't feed that last round. We went back and to do that (not counting Jay's new ship), and retotaled. Final score?

90-90.

A tie.

Me versus my eight-year-old, who had never read the instructions, and only first heard of the game minutes earlier.

Since then, I've looked into some of the scores here. I didn't expect us to be anywhere close to what others achieve, but I was still caught off guard by the magnitude of the difference. Last night, I played a solo, full-version game and got 117, then today I reached 147 (another report will come on that one). I've got a ways to go. A long ways.

But if that first game is any indication of Jay's potential compared to me, I'd better do a lot of homework and practice up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Save your time -- pass this one by
Scores will vary because of the short game vs the full game, number of players, building order, etc. And yes, you'll get more efficient over time.

Turn order, just keep grabbing the guy in back, move them to the front and tell them to make a move.

The title of this report doesn't seem to match the content, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the assurance, Steven. I'll bet you're right. And in the end, I'm having fun, even if I don't improve dramatically. Or win against an eight-year-old.

UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
The title of this report doesn't seem to match the content, by the way.

It's another way of saying "Don't bother reading this session report -- you've got better things to do."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlewis2 wrote:
Thanks for the assurance, Steven. I'll bet you're right. And in the end, I'm having fun, even if I don't improve dramatically. Or win against an eight-year-old.

UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
The title of this report doesn't seem to match the content, by the way. :)

It's another way of saying "Don't bother reading this session report -- you've got better things to do." :D

Before reading the report, to me it clearly means "Le Havre is a waste of time"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ashman wrote:
Before reading the report, to me it clearly means "Le Havre is a waste of time"

Certainly not what I intended. If it was a 'review', I can see that understanding. As a session report, it didn't occur to me that's how it would be interpreted. I changed the title. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.