Subject: More Suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raven Johnson
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
1. Change the {q} tag to {quote}, since that is what people will expect and what they will type while on "autopilot"

2. There is a thumbs up button, but no thumbs down button. Some people type some really stupid things, for example, I just read a so-called review in which the poster actually restated the entire rules of the game! So this thumbs down button (or other "Wow your post sucks" voting button) is really needed here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
They had a thumbs down button at one point a long time ago, but they took it down as it didnt go over too well so that is a moot point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EP Papa
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you change the quote tag, it will just mess up everybody who is used to using the old way and would probably cause a lot of complaining. I would think that most people just press the quote button to get the tag anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Johnson
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
Not anyone who uses message boards and/or codes websites on a regular basis... looking for, clicking, and doing extra work just to quote/make bold etc. is a time-aster, and anyone who uses message boards know that the half-controlled coding "buttons" usually just screw everything up anyway (for example, posting a link, highlighting it 'cause you don't know that particular board's coding to add a texted link, and resulting with something like [link]text text [http://linkishere][link]http://linkisherelinkishere

Hmm... 'code' command doesn't work regularly either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuri Walkiw
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree that things should be kept the way they are for now. Although a different way may be better, it's probably not worth switching to, just for familiarity's sake. Maybe if there is a major set of changes in the future, they'll change up the way quotes and links work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rayvn7 wrote:
Not anyone who uses message boards and/or codes websites on a regular basis... looking for, clicking, and doing extra work just to quote/make bold etc. is a time-aster, and anyone who uses message boards know that the half-controlled coding "buttons" usually just screw everything up anyway (for example, posting a link, highlighting it 'cause you don't know that particular board's coding to add a texted link, and resulting with something like [link]text text [http://linkishere][link]http://linkisherelinkishere

Hmm... 'code' command doesn't work regularly either.

This is text inside the code tag.

This is text outside of the code tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2. There is a thumbs up button, but no thumbs down button. Some people type some really stupid things, for example, I just read a so-called review in which the poster actually restated the entire rules of the game! So this thumbs down button (or other "Wow your post sucks" voting button) is really needed here!

And why not just comment that it's a lame review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Rayvn7 wrote:
I just read a so-called review in which the poster actually restated the entire rules of the game! So this thumbs down button (or other "Wow your post sucks" voting button) is really needed here!

Lack of thumbs to a post says the same thing, but in a less harsh way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Johnson
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
Wargamer204 wrote:
Quote:

And why not just comment that it's a lame review!

Oh I did, but one would assume that any "button" to indicate that you like a post will give the user some kind of "status" or "influence"... or at least one of those badges that says, "I got XXX thumbs ups on my posts!" Then a thumbs down or negative button would prevent an idiot user who's posts are liked by hundreds of people and are disliked by thousands of others, from gaining this "status" or benefit. Does BGG not have any such benefits? (If not, let's remove the thumbs up signs!)

tesuji wrote:
Rayvn7 wrote:
I just read a so-called review in which the poster actually restated the entire rules of the game! So this thumbs down button (or other "Wow your post sucks" voting button) is really needed here!

Lack of thumbs to a post says the same thing, but in a less harsh way.

No, it generally says that no one has read/seen your post, or thought users thought it was an average post, they expected to see it there, etc. So currently, a SPAM post about someone selling watches, and a post which said, "I loved this game" in reply to someone else, will have the same "score", even though the latter is obviously better, and also obviously not noteworthy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rayvn7 wrote:

Oh I did, but one would assume that any "button" to indicate that you like a post will give the user some kind of "status" or "influence"... Does BGG not have any such benefits? (If not, let's remove the thumbs up signs!)

Thumbs as far as I know don't give you any particular status or whatever (although total thumbs are tracked on your personal stats). What they do do however is give a pretty good guide as to what the most useful posts are. For example I tend to read the most thumbed reviews first.

Interesting points you make - most comments I see about the thumbs are extremely positive - many posters seem to feel that the thumbs are one of the really great features of this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi new person, and welcome. I don't really have any comments on the other suggestions, but I can tell you that "Thumbs Down" was tried here and eliminated, and that feature will never be seen here again. Period. Believe me when I tell you that this particular suggestion is a non-starter around these parts and it's not worth spending another minute discussing the matter. It goes against the culture of this site, which is very much against in-your-face negativism. Polite put-downs are common place, but flame-war inducing actions are severely frowned upon here (and thank goodness - there are enough places to find that kind of aggression on the Internet).

Frankly, I have to admit that I'm glad that the thumbsdown were eliminated, because that experiment proved a complete disaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rayvn7 wrote:
So currently, a SPAM post about someone selling watches, and a post which said, "I loved this game" in reply to someone else, will have the same "score", even though the latter is obviously better, and also obviously not noteworthy.

SPAM, inappropriate content, or anything which violate the forum guidelines can be flagged by using the red X and then selecting 'rules violation'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.