Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I realize this topic has been discussed before, but I hope experienced folks will weigh in once more with their opinions and perspectives.

1. From top to bottom, how do you rank the 14 great races of TI3-SE?
2. What do you do, if anything, to balance the races?

For context, my group uses a random draw method for players to choose races. My hope is that any player, with any given race, will be excited to play any given race that day, believe they have a chance to win, and will experience something different and fun in playing each of the various great races.

Some ideas I've heard or come up with myself:

A. Xxcha Kingdom are considered one of the lowest / worst: modify their defensive special ability to: whenever the Xxcha are the defender, the attacker receives a (-1) on all combat rolls, for all combat rounds
B. Mentak Coalition, once per action round, may play either a command pool counter or a counter from their strategy allocation, to commit piracy and steal [1] trade good each from two different players, without any other restrictions
C. Exclude the FAQ's on Sardakk N'Orr and Jol Narr such that the [+1] to Sardakk N'Orr rolls apply to all dice rolls that inflcit casualties, and the (-1) for the Jol Narr also, likewise, receive a (-1) to any die roll that inflicts a casualty
d. The Winnu - vacate the FAQ nerf to The Winnu racial tech ability

...any comments?...feedback? Thanks! (SFRR)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Norton
United States
Seymour
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
Hi all,

I realize this topic has been discussed before, but I hope experienced folks will weigh in once more with their opinions and perspectives.

1. From top to bottom, how do you rank the 14 great races of TI3-SE?
2. What do you do, if anything, to balance the races?

For context, my group uses a random draw method for players to choose races. My hope is that any player, with any given race, will be excited to play any given race that day, believe they have a chance to win, and will experience something different and fun in playing each of the various great races.

Some ideas I've heard or come up with myself:

A. Xxcha Kingdom are considered one of the lowest / worst: modify their defensive special ability to: whenever the Xxcha are the defender, the attacker receives a (-1) on all combat rolls, for all combat rounds
B. Mentak Coalition, once per action round, may play either a command pool counter or a counter from their strategy allocation, to commit piracy and steal [1] trade good each from two different players, without any other restrictions
C. Exclude the FAQ's on Sardakk N'Orr and Jol Narr such that the [+1] to Sardakk N'Orr rolls apply to all dice rolls that inflcit casualties, and the (-1) for the Jol Narr also, likewise, receive a (-1) to any die roll that inflicts a casualty
d. The Winnu - vacate the FAQ nerf to The Winnu racial tech ability

...any comments?...feedback? Thanks! (SFRR)

A. Then Xxcha would become on of the strongest races to play. I have no problem boosting the Xxcha starting fleet, but -1 for the entire battle is a bit much.

B. I have seen this done, though some say it isn't that great to spend 1 CC and get 2TG.

C. Not sure of the purpose of this change?

D. The nerf is there for a reason. Without the nerf Winnu is the second strongest race and can challenge Yssaril in skipping ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No one ever wants to play the Xxcha Kingdom. As far as I can tell they are universally reviled as the LEAST desired great race to play. I would like them to be a race someone would actually want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
My group gives the Xxcha a 4 GF start instead of the 2GF which allows them to actually develop planets in the start of the game and not depend on Production to get more and then move out and we have found it works very well for them.

I have changed the Winnu Racial Technology in my games to a cost of 6 and cannot be used twice in a row (similar to the Yssaril Skip ability cannot be used twice in a row). This still gives them good power but not a much as playing them as written and not as bad as the total nerf they got in the FAQ.

The Jol-Nar are quite strong as they are and need nothing done to them. I have seen them win many a game.

The Norr are usually fixed by either letting them start with Stasis capsules or taking away the cruiser and letting them start with 2 Carriers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dankirk
msg tools
One fix we have employed for the Xxchaa is to give them back one of their old abilities.

As masterful politicians, all planets under Xxchaa control produce +1 influence. It really enables them to be played as the political race they were meant to be, and has definitely upped their value.

They still suffer from a slow start, but the extra influence lets them have a greater say in the political process, and helps the purchase of strategy counters to fuel their other abilities.

No one in our group has ever really complained about the Mentak, except for the weird meta game it creates where everyone tries to spend all their trade goods by the end of each turn.I wouldn't be opposed to letting them do their piracy run as an action once per round myself.It's amazing how much aggro can be generated by swiping a single trade good for someone.

Even with turn skipping, we have yet to see the Winnu or Yssaril win a game because of it. Maybe we're noobs, but it just doesn't seem to be as big of a deal as everyone thinks it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thestor thestor
Germany
flag msg tools
I would have some suggestion for boosting the Xxcha:
every round in the phase where all players collect their action card(s) and command counter (sorry I'm a newbie), the Xxcha player collects a political card in addition (two when diplomats are researched). I played this game with the variant that you can trade all but your last political card for one resource, so this ought to help the Xxcha.

Alternatively or in addition:
the Xxcha player spends one command counter form strategic allocation and discards one political card. For the remainder of the round, he receives the benefits of the political card. For example, if the Xxcha player uses this ability on the political card that counts all research bonus to all research regardless of color, the Xxcha player would receive that advantage for this one round.

Third idea:
the Xxcha player can always spend one command counter from strategic allocation to prevent a strategy card from being played this turn, the player playing the strategy card must instead skip his turn. Example: Letnev wants to play the Warfare strategy card, the Xxcha player spends one CC from strategy allocation, so the Letnev player must skip his turn and Warfare is not played THIS TURN. The Letnev player can of course play the strategy card again next turn.

What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Giving them a -1 against them while defending would cause a lot of turtling, oh wait.

I like it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.