Subject: Ravager from the Deep - Broken? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Boosel
United States
New Wilmington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So my friend and I have been playing with two decks. I use Cthulhu/Shub and she uses Yog/Miskatonic. She swears Ravager is a broken card because of how good it is. I keep telling her, she has trouble with it, because her deck has no removal. I do think the card is great, and I admittedly have won more times when I played it than not. But can someone please give me a good explanation as to why the card isn't "too good"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The timing of the card is what keeps it from being ridiculous. "After Ravager from the Deep is committed to a story, wound all other characters at that story." In other words, the effect triggers on defense because other characters (attackers) are present, but not on offense because Ravager commits before any other defending characters are committed in kind, meaning his effect triggers but there's nothing to wound. Make sense? So it's a nasty card, but it's not that overwhelming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Boosel
United States
New Wilmington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I understand how it works, but she still claims it's too good. I tried explaining that it just depends on what the opponents deck has to deal with it. Her Yog/MU just didn't have much to handle it, and it allowed Cthulhu to drop the big guys...I just wanted to clear that up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She needs a character with toughness and terror icons.
Ravager will then stay away or be driven insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Taton
Belgium
Rouvreux
Liege
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or Agency cards which can wound from good distance, like Shotgun Blast, it will only cost 2 to play it because Ravager's skill is 2. Ok, that's the only first wound. And you need a second one. But the Ravager, if he then becomes insane will be immediately destroyed because he will loose it's gametext, i.e. its toughness --> the wound becomes sufficient to destroy it. So use for instance Victoria Glasser (hastur) or "small price to pay" (agency).

Another Agency card which can help: Short Fuse (give 7 wounds...) for a cost of 3...

OK, they are neither Miska nor Yog.

A Yog which can be fun, is the Living Mummy, but take care of your own characters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Or invincibility and terror icons--Forgotten Shoggoths comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Boosel
United States
New Wilmington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think her point was...the core set was supposed to have "balanced" decks. And her deck that she made which was MU/Yog struggled against Cthulhu/Shub because of that card. Although I told her, MU/Yog has no removal and hardly any scary creatures to fight back, so I basically tried explaining she needs a different faction with removal. I assume neither Yog or MU are good at removing things...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked through what's in those factions for the core set.

Celano Fragments: Pricy counter, but it's viable in a pinch.
Guardian Elder Thing

Also, 6 of the 12 Yog characters in the core have terror icons. It's not a lot, but there ARE answers. (it's not like some CCGs where if you don't have removal utility for all the card types you're screwed)

I suspect the core's mostly balanced, but since it's a limited set the choice of factions you're mixing together is gonna make a big difference. Until you get more packs to shake things up, just swap one of those factions out for Agency or Shub and I suspect she'll be less stressed out about Ravager.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
MechSpike wrote:
I think her point was...the core set was supposed to have "balanced" decks. And her deck that she made which was MU/Yog struggled against Cthulhu/Shub because of that card.

It is unrealistic to expect any two randomly chosen factions to be well-balanced against any two other randomly chosen factions. You just can't balance a game that well. Some factions are "support" than others.

If one combo gets completely blown out by another, just don't use it again. There are lots of combinations of factions to try.

Try MU/Agency vs Cthulhu/Shub. Those two factions were the example factions to try out in your first game, I believe. And they are fairly well balanced against each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Boosel
United States
New Wilmington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks Chris, yeah I tried explaining that trying to balance 21 factions with each other is just impossible. She is catching on though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.