Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about who uses twitter, and if people are willing to admit what their twitter IDs are.

I'm timotab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWarpunk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use it for work to announce specials/deals and stuff to our customers who follow us. As a business tool I think it's great, and the web page widget lets me modify an element of our site with very little effort. Further, the limited number of characters keeps the message focused on what's important.

The limit is also one of the reasons I don't see it being useful for personal use, besides the fact I would never use it for personal use in the first place. As a subscription alert system for something like a blog it might be handy, but that's what RSS feeds are for. Still, alternatives are good.

Otherwise it's very similar to Facebook feeds -- a bunch of boring drivel that has made me aware of how petty some of my friends can be. shake Maybe if there was a a really good joke twitter I might be bothered to sign up for it, but for the by-the-moment updates of peoples lives... I can do without.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm crankiestgamer, and the only reasons I even keep the thing active are so that I can follow Doyle Brunson's endless stream of "dumb blonde" jokes, and to use the iPhone Twitterific app to see what people are tweeting about in my immediate vicinity when I'm on the road or away from home. Sometimes you'll catch wind of interesting occurrences or phenomena, such as when seventy people in the vicinity all start saying stuff like, "Wowzers, that mushroom cloud is really big."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am daveexmachina and I simply don't understand why people who can play a complex boardgame can't figure out something as easy as Twitter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chatsalot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worth following for Boardgames:
http://twitter.com/funagaingames
http://twitter.com/BoulderGames
http://twitter.com/BoardgameNews

And while you're there:
http://twitter.com/FakeAPStylebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
I am daveexmachina and I simply don't understand why people who can play a complex boardgame can't figure out something as easy as Twitter.

The flip side of that coin is not understanding why people need to stay connected to an endless flow of near-trivial information. You know, like when Funagain has something to say that you can't find out by merely checking their website on a semi-regular basis. I'm a big fan of John Hodgman. His Twitter activity is inane, boring, and almost 100% useless. Much like my facebook activity was to you, back in the day. Figuring out how to use Twitter isn't the least bit difficult. It's figuring out why you should bother that's more trouble than it's worth, for some of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use it mostly for notifying people about blog updates. But I also follow some NY Islander fans too, so we'll be watching the game and giving our thoughts on the game back and forth as its played.

The people who constantly twitter about every little thing in their life "going to such and such a salon for a haircut, going here for a movie and there for dinner" almost make me think its a reverse 1984. Big Brother doesn't have to watch you, you just report to him directly!

My name is WebBard, but like I said its mostly blog updates or sports related.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a lot of fun on Twitter with friends of mine. Like, say, the way some folks enjoy goofing around on, oh, I don't know, internet message boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
My twitter is OctavianX - though I don't tweet much.

I also manage the geekdo twitter account (twitter.com/geekdo) - right now I mainly use it to announce down time, contests, and other general site news.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Twitter - not so much yet for personal use (in terms of posting (I refuse to refer to it as "tweeting").

I like the fact that it's a steady stream of information of the things I want to follow (which tend to be primarily business-related, although, I will admit to a fetish for following celebrity NSFW stuff, too).

I just recently finished reading "Twitterville," by Shel Israel, which really provided me with an abundance of information on ways companies (and, to a lesser degree, individuals) can use Twitter most effectively.

I'd also recommend (as a companion book) "No One Cares What You Had for Lunch," by Margaret Mason -- although it was written about blogs, initially, the same sentiment exists for Twitter. It should be required reading when you first sign up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendrick Martin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Renegaderebel is mah tweeter'er name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
I have a lot of fun on Twitter with friends of mine. Like, say, the way some folks enjoy goofing around on, oh, I don't know, internet message boards.

Yeah, and if I needed some superfluous mode of doing exactly what I'm already doing on internet message boards.... Blah, blah, blah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
This is your chance to once and for all choose exactly which service is a better way to post a link that you already saw somebody else post at BGG!
Which service is a better way to post a link that you already saw somebody else post at BGG (e.g., a YouTube video of Wes Anderson's Spiderman Reboot)?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Facebook: The place where Josh posted it to 267 of his closest friends.
0.0% 0
Twitter: The place Dave posted it to his army of undead followers.
100.0% 2
Voters 2
This poll is now closed.   2 answers
Poll created by MisterCranky
Closes: Tue Feb 9, 2010 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.