Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
No, I'm not talking about the most useless building in San Juan. I'm talking about the archived games in BSW. There are 39 games that still exist on BSW, but are almost unplayable because of their archive status.

To find these games, you have to type /manager archive. That will switch you from the regular game manager to one where you can find the archive games. Besides being a bit hard to start an archive game, it's really hard to find opponents for one. When you /gameyell in an archive game, it doesn't show up on the main manager screen for open games. It shows up on the archive manager. Since almost nobody goes in there, you can expect to wait a long time to find anyone to play an archive game with you.

Why does there need to be this semi-hidden area? Maybe it saves some server resources somehow, but I don't see why they couldn't have hidden any such optimization without affecting how the games are presented in the UI.

I do get the chance to play some archive games when people from my town suggest playing them on the town chat channel. I have also tried using the /shout command to send a message to everybody on BSW that I'm looking for players, but this is reserved for high ranks and costs talers. I also wonder if that is appropriate use of the command.

Help me out here. Is there some other way to find players for archive games? Is there a chat channel for calling for archive games that I can join, or one for fans of each game? I have added games to my favourites list (/add favourite [game]), but this doesn't seem to give me any notification when there are games starting. Can someone help explain the purpose of that list to me?

Thx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never used it, but I wonder if the "Treff" gathering tool would be of any use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't agree more ... one almost needs to arrange a game through other channels and agree to meet there.

This was probably my biggest complaint when they reorganized the site a while back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
To find these games, you have to type /manager archive. That will switch you from the regular game manager to one where you can find the archive games.

You can use "Lobby" from the tool bar to switch between main manager and archive manager.

morningstar wrote:
Is there a chat channel for calling for archive games that I can join, or one for fans of each game?

/channel Archiv

morningstar wrote:
I have added games to my favourites list (/add favourite [game]), but this doesn't seem to give me any notification when there are games starting. Can someone help explain the purpose of that list to me?

Easier access to these game from the game manager. Has changed over time.
Nowadays, it's just that these games are included in the image list you get when you click on the more>> botton in the left row of the game manager.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chazar
Germany
Hesse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Treff (or Gather Tool) should be a big help, since it does not distinguish between Archive and Lobby!

Of course, it all depends on the number of people using it. So pick your three favourite games and set them up just once and activate the requests whenever you log in. (Careful: Click on the button above the game picture in the Treff tool, which is orange for active requests and blue for inactive ones. Clicking on the picture itself just frees the slot instead of activating it. It always click the wrong spot. cry )

The tool won't bother you if you are playing, but it does its work in the background while you are searching for another game with the manager. Once enough matching requests are active, everyone will be notified may choose to teleport to the game room.

---

DISCLAIMER: The following is my personal educated guess based on what I read in the German-BSW-Forums. I am an average BSW-user and not linked to BSW in any other way.

The reason behind the Archive was never published, but some dropped hints suggest that the Archive was a compromise to avoid deleting the games to focus attention:

* BSW demands money from publishers and in return guarantees some attention for the paid game. This would not work if the users kept playing the same old games. So very roughly speaking, the Lobby hosts the new games that are actively paid for by the publishers while the Archive hides away the old games, that have no sponsor.

* Before the Archive, certain games were already very difficult to find opponents for. Imagine a newbie randomly picking Intrigue to play -- that would have been very frustrating with no one turning up to play (Personally, I think Intrigue is a good game, but it just does not work with strangers and without audio communication). So the Lobby helps to avoid that people are waiting in vain. A more experience player going to the Archive can be expected to understand the "waiting-risk".

So the Archive was intended to reduce the attention received by archived games. It seems to fulfil its intended purpose. However, this is not as bad as it may seem:
It has been hinted by one BSW-admin (and I think it has already happened, too) that there will be a rotation between Archive and Lobby, something like the Archive-Game of the month. An archived game returning to the Lobby is bound to gather much more attention than it would have ever received before the Lobby/Archive distinction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric J.
Netherlands
Nieuwegein
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
I have also tried using the /shout command to send a message to everybody on BSW that I'm looking for players, but this is reserved for high ranks and costs talers. I also wonder if that is appropriate use of the command.

/shout is available for everyone, but your message is only shown in all the rooms of the town you are located at that momen
The /yell command is probably the one you meant. But there are only a few sitauations in which all the other players on BSW would appreciate seeing a message from a total stranger appear in their chat.

Anyway, you best bets for finding players for Archived games are:
1. channels with players you already know (Town chat, EnglishCircle, etc)
2. /channel Archive
3. The gather tool
4. Specific channles for that game (e.g. channel Tongi-Liga for Tongiaki)

Gloppy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This little blog is a great idea, thanks and I hope it contines well into the future.

I've tried the gather tool but it's drawback is that that there stilll have to actually be others with like interest as you online at the same time.
I've toyed with the idea of organisin gsomething here on BGG where people can communicate and organise archive games-maybe it would work.

Just an asideoes any one want to play clans? before it was archived, unlike some games, it was played and frequntly visible in the main manager. Then one day...gone, vanished etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thx, lots of helpful answers about how and why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kuriata
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recently found out that there are great games... hidden in this archive. The biggest question is: WHY ARE THEY THERE????

I just don't get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.