Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The title says it all. I played Dungeon Twister: 3/4 Players Expansion tonight. I liked it and I will certainly play again with my gamer friends but I know I can't buy this game because none of my non-gamer friends will take the time/effort to appreciate this game.

So here I am.. Wandering about BGG and looking for something with (in a somewhat order of preference) :

1) modular map
2) maze feeling
3) kill the other players or be killed
4) some gamble/bluff/risk/push-your-luck but the overall victory should still go for the most strategic player (say.. 20% chance or less)

and to be honest, your suggestions don't have to fit all this. But the most, the better!

Please post anything that you think would fit my needs even if you are not sure. No suggestion can be bad!!

Thanks!

Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
I don't know how big is your family, or if you have little kids, but those are games that are coming to my mind:

Dungeon Plungin' - it's a CO-OP serious dungeon crawl game but with not so serious cartooney cute kid-friendly graphics. Modular board with random factor deciding what is behind the doors. Heavy and time consuming game of dungeon crawl without dungeon master. Game is free to print and play.

Lost Treasures - it's a 2-player game where two teams of adventures enter dungeon, fight and race to get most of treasures from that dungeon. Modular board, cards, cute cartooney graphics. Game is free to print and play.

Goblin Slayer - 2 player game where one of the players controls goblins and second controls a single dwarf. Not so cartooney, but short, fast-paced, and relatively easy. Game is free to print and play, and I believe easiest to assemble out of those 3 I mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No mazes, but HeroScape fits the rest of it nicely. Easy to teach, beautiful modular pieces to build your battlefields, and scenarios for 2 to 4 players are easy to find. Combat is dice based, but you will find that the people who understand how to manage probabilities effectively will win consistently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you very much
I forgot to mention I aim at 3-6 players games (most of the time we are 4-5)

But I bet Lost Treasures can easily be adapted to more players with home rules. I will take a serious look into that one as it seems to be very close to what I want (design-wise).

By the way, while browing on BGG, I found this forum post that look just as much interesting. I recommend anyone with similar interests to check it out : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/449664/my-custom-wizwar-...

I'm thinking of doing some home rules as well with the design of that artist. I would blend Dungeon Twister elements with some of the WizWar game.

I'm looking for more suggestions as well. Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Wiz-War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Drakon fits all of your criteria, except you don't kill each other, but you can set traps and steal money from each other. it's very easy to teach but rewards clever play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volt26 wrote:
I'm thinking of doing some home rules as well with the design of that artist. I would blend Dungeon Twister elements with some of the WizWar game.

WizWar is a good game, but it is just as complex as Dungeon Twister, and will leave your non-gamer friends equally at sea.

downstream wrote:
I think Drakon fits all of your criteria, except you don't kill each other, but you can set traps and steal money from each other. it's very easy to teach but rewards clever play.

That reminds me of its sister game from the same line, Cave Troll, which I think might be an even better choice. It is set in a dungeon, has the typical cast of fantasy figures, and is quite easy for non-gamers to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frag has the players running around in a maze killing each other, but it is much more random than you are asking for. No modular map either. It is, however, easy to get into and if your friends are into computer games they might get a laugh or two out of the setting (and in particular the cards - there is one called "lag" for example).

Or how about RoboRally? It has a modular map, a maze, and there is a strong incentive for the players to kill each other although it is in essence a race game. A spatial game, som get it and some don't, but I always have a good time playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pressure Matrix

I was looking at this the other day, and thought it was a cheesy knock-off of DT. Well lo and behold, this happens to be what you're looking for.

I think it's simpler in the fact that you have only 1 figure to move.

Then the theme is like "Running Man" the movie or "Smash TV" the arcade game.

Check it, it might be what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zubbus O'Really
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Munchkin Quest fit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you very much for all your recommendations!

I fell in love with the Wiz-War concept. I will look out for a shop that can print on 1/8" cardboard the floortiles of this game. I will probably check out thegamecrafter.com for the printed cards (or should I wait for a special from artscow? I don't know how often they lower the price of their customized cardgames).

Having over 400 cards to print, I don't wish to pay over 80$ just for that. A store that would do a lower *semi-bulk* price would be better but I'm still on the look for one!!

Do not hesitate to suggest more games, I'll keep looking at all suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.