Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Tanner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I am looking for a new game for my gaming group. We have been playing a lot of basic 6p settlers of Catan (and some Seafarers), but I am ready to try out a new game (I have been playing Catan a lot longer than any of them =D ). Everyone in my group really likes Catan, and we also enjoy Magic the Gathering. So I was wondering if anyone had good suggestions as to what game to move on to next, perhaps something like Catan (but not another Catan expansion, something new), or perhaps not =D.

Only requirements be that it can be played optimally with 4-6 players, more is fine as long as the game doesn't require 8 to be fun or something, and preferably a game that takes about the same amount of time as Catan, less is fine, but I don't want something that will take hours and hours to play =D.

Like I said, the group likes Catan and we all play Magic the Gathering, hopefully that is enough to go on for suggestions =). I myself really enjoy Memoir '44 and Heroscape as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Heroscape and Magic, consider Summoner Wars. You play troops onto the board in a similar way as summoning creatures in Magic, but then you move them and fight with them in a way similar to Heroscape. Every unit even has a special ability, just like Heroscape. (This is a 2-player game, or 4-player if you buy both sets to get all 4 armies.)

Also, if the group likes the card game aspect of Magic but the economic engine building of Catan, consider Dominion. It's a non-collectable card game where you build your deck during the game by "buying" cards from the table, and you continually reshuffle your discards as your small starter deck runs out, so the cards you buy get drawn and become usable. Your piddly little starter deck becomes a healthy combo machine, allowing you to screw over opponents and buy more expensive cards from the table, and you try to have the most property cards (which are useless during the game but the only thing that matters when the game is over) to win the game. (This is a 2-4 player game with the base set, but can be expanded to 5-6 with the Intrigue expansion.)

If your group likes Memoir '44 but also likes Magic, consider BattleLore. It is a historical fantasy game by the same designer as M44, but it has customizable leaders, spells, monsters, etc. There is a lot to like about it. (By default this is a 2-player game, but it sounds like such a good fit I had to mention it.)

Finally, a game I just got that may seem Catan-like depending on how you look at it, is Stone Age. Instead of spreading out roads and settlements to get more resources, you take turns placing workers to gather wood, clay, stone, etc. You also place workers to use those resources to buy civilization cards or build huts, both of which give you points. I've played it twice and had a lot of fun with it. (Scales well for 2-4 players.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W*m L**naerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started out with Catan too and the second game that was as popular as Catan in my gaming group was Citadels. A great card game with very nice graphics (for the Magic fans) and a very interesting role selection system. The only thing the games have in common is the amount of interaction between players, but the fact that they're quite different is what would make it interesting I think. Very simple ruleset by the way.
Plays best with 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It occurred to me that different people like Catan for very different reasons. Some like the player interaction, some like expanding a civilization, and some like getting resources and then turning resources into useful things. My suggestions of Dominion and Stone Age assume the third one for you.

Why don't you tell us what you like about Catan, and what you like about Magic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
La Città - plays 2-5

Condottiere - plays up to 6

Archaeology: The Card Game - plays 2-4; it has some Catan flavor because there are sandstorms where you have to get rid of half of your cards, and a thief where you take a card from another player. It's a set collection game with a push your luck element, because the more cards you get of an item, the more each one is worth. It might go 3 for one - 7 for two - 12 for three - 30 for four (just an example, not necessarily real values). You can trade cards in the market, and lay down sets as you make them, but you can't add on to a set later, so you have to pick the best time to lay down.

You might like Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age, which plays up to 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Tanner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I've looked at Dominion before, and it seems intriguing, but didn't stand out in a huge way for some reason. Stone age sounds interesting as well.

TwentySides wrote:
It occurred to me that different people like Catan for very different reasons. Some like the player interaction, some like expanding a civilization, and some like getting resources and then turning resources into useful things. My suggestions of Dominion and Stone Age assume the third one for you.

Why don't you tell us what you like about Catan, and what you like about Magic?

I really like the player interaction and the resource collection =D. I like games where players can interact (especially cooperatively). At the same time, I really like the fighting aspect of magic =P (as well as the collection/strategy and ability to build a deck that fits your play style).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bktanner wrote:
I really like the player interaction and the resource collection =D. I like games where players can interact (especially cooperatively). At the same time, I really like the fighting aspect of magic =P (as well as the collection/strategy and ability to build a deck that fits your play style).

If you enjoy deck building, find any way you can to try Dominion. I'm not saying "run out and buy it" because it doesn't have a lot if direct interaction, at least not on the order of Magic. The goal isn't to beat the other players down, it's to beat them at the race to build a solid, functional deck, then buy up the victory point cards before they can. There are some cards that attack other players, forcing discards or stealing their money cards, but it's not the focus. I've heard the Intrigue expansion adds a lot more ways to mess with people, but it also adds complexity, so try the core game first.

Also, if you like cooperative games, there are a lot out there that are good. The only two I can speak of with experience are Pandemic and Arkham Horror. In Pandemic you cooperate to treat and cure worldwide epidemics, and in Arkham Horror you cooperate to collect clue points and artifacts to thwart the plans of a malevolent extra-dimensional entity trying to break through to Earth. In a lot of ways Pandemic feels like a re-themed, vastly simplified Arkham Horror, and not at all in a bad way. They are both very good games, but it's all about whether you'd prefer a 1-hour game with cards and wooden cubes, or a 2-3 hour game with a million cards and bits and boards and everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmb
bktanner wrote:

Sounds like my kind of game, can I join your group?! Ok maybe a bit far to travel...

I'm also new here but would probably recommend Pandemic based on that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Tanner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
bktanner wrote:

Sounds like my kind of game, can I join your group?! Ok maybe a bit far to travel...

I'm also new here but would probably recommend Pandemic based on that

Haha yeah several people seem to recommend that one, I will have to read up on it =).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W*m L**naerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
bktanner wrote:
I'm also new here but would probably recommend Pandemic based on that :)

Haha yeah several people seem to recommend that one, I will have to read up on it =).

I find that Pandemic needs a good group. Me and my GF alternately play two different couples and with one couple Pandemic is real fun, but with the other it can get kinda tedious. Mostly because the guy suffers heavily from AP. Normally that's not a problem, cause during his turn we mostly chat or discuss the game, but in Pandemic his indecesiveness just slows the game down too much.
I think this is only fun with people who don't take games all too serious and don't have a problem with just 'making a move' to keep the game going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Robert
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw in my agreement for Stone Age. Great game, with a good ratio of simplicity of rules/depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
Empyrean, Inc.
Settlers-like resource trading with some take-that type effects, in space!

This should be perfect for your group except that it only goes to 4. Should be cheap enough that you could pick it up in addition to something that goes to more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Tanner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good advice from everybody, thanks all =). I think right now I am leaning towards Stone Age.

How do people feel about Agricola? That game seems really cool. It says play time is ~2 hours, which is about how long a 6 player game of Catan takes us anyways. Is this accurate or is it more of an all afternoon type of game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is about a half hour per person, so 2.5 hours for a 5-person game is about right, even with new people, in my experience. The first learning game might be a little longer, and it depends on the AP of the group, but it's not as long as, say, Through the Ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ad Astra is a recent game that has been compared to Catan. It doesn't support 6 players though (few games do), only 3-5. It is space themed, don't know of that is a problem for you.

If you want a resource management/empire building game I can strongly recommend Endeavor. 3-5 players, plays in 1.5 hours even with 5 players (first game might be longer). More complex than Catan though, just so you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bktanner wrote:
Good advice from everybody, thanks all =). I think right now I am leaning towards Stone Age.

How do people feel about Agricola? That game seems really cool. It says play time is ~2 hours, which is about how long a 6 player game of Catan takes us anyways. Is this accurate or is it more of an all afternoon type of game?

How do I feel about it? I have never wanted to enjoy a game more and yet failed. It does seem really cool, especially if you pimp it out with animeeples and vegimeeples and farmermeeples and make it all pretty. And the Occupation and Minor Improvement cards add a lot of replayability and help you craft a new strategy each time. But after two sessions with it, I never felt "I'm having fun!"

However when I played Stone Age, I thought "now THIS is how I wanted Agricola to feel!" Likewise, when I tried Le Havre, another complex game by the same designer as Agricola, I felt like I was giggling inside the whole time, to quote another member of this board. But Agricola was not fun for me.

The take-home message? Play a game before buying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need Cosmic Encounter. Tons of interaction, one-hour playing time, special powers, 4-6 players (6 only with the expansion, 5 with the base game)...it's one of the best games I've ever played, and a real hit with other Catan lovers.

Incidentally, to wring the most of Catan, have you tried playing with your friends on Asobrain? (It's called "Xplorers" there, I think.) I thought I was about to burn out on base Catan after about a dozen plays, but Asobrain offers a ton of interesting maps and setups that have prolonged the life of that game for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.