Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Tanner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't sure if this was the best section to post this in, but it seemed to work.

This is a question for anyone who has played both Memoir '44 and Battlelore =D.

I have Memoir '44, and I really love it. I really like the gameplay and the WWII theme. I also like that it has tons of expansions that add a lot of new stuff and can really change up the game, however I have yet to get any of the expansions.

At the same time, Battlelore looks really good, as I like fantasy and Medieval settings too, and it seems to be more complex than Memoir, but I know nothing of the expansions. On the surface, the expansions just seem to add new armies, but don't really add complexity or change the game (I'm sure I'm wrong about this, I just haven't looked at all of them like I have for Memoir '44).

My question is this, should I invest in Battlelore? Or should I just buy expansions for Memoir ? (I can't afford to do both, and since they have similar gameplay, I'd rather only invest in 1 or the other). It seems Memoir is more expandable but Battlelore is more complex. Anyways if I could get opinions on this, it would be a big help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both, and wouldn't part with either of them (apart from the goblin and dwarf expansions for Battlelore).

Battlelore has a nice twist, being able to play medieval battles AND the optional inclusion of Lore rules (magic etc) and war councils.

Having said that, i haven't played BL for ages cos I am so wrapped up in overlord format battles and batlemaps for M44.

At the end of the day, no-one else can answer your question, only YOU can. It's all down to personal tastes. So what ARE you going to do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought about Commands & Colors: Ancients? I played all three - sold Memoir, Battlelore is gathering dust... only C&C is still getting plays cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zopper-Alf wrote:
Have you thought about Commands & Colors: Ancients? I played all three - sold Memoir, Battlelore is gathering dust... only C&C is still getting plays cool

I had all 3.. traded C&C... it's all down to personal taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Phil notes, your personal tastes (and the tastes of those who will play with you ) will be the ultimate judge...but you need to be informed to help you cater to those tastes

I have all three of the games mentioned so far, and have played a few games of Battle Cry as well. I plan on getting C&C:Napoleonics and the repackaging/reissue of Battle Cry (by whatever name it ends up being ) as soon as those see the light of day.

The C&C games fit right into my wheelhouse - relatively short play time; when I can't find a face to face opponent (read: when my son has better things to do than humor his old man), fairly easy to find Vassal players willing to pick up the slack; perfect mix of tactical decision making and chance. I apply those to all of the C&C games.

I would not say one is more complex than another in significant ways. Others disagree with that statement. To me, however, it boils down to how well the implementation of the rules set fits the era that is the theme of the particular C&C game. I like how the altered rule sets contribute to Memoir '44 being more bombastic, Ancients being a clashing of battle lines, and BattleLore being a scrum with guile and mystic forces having equal say in the proceedings (or unequal say - the medieval rule set [i.e. limited to no fantasy elements] is every bit as good playwise as the full lore treatment).

As to the state of the games:

Memoir '44 seems to me to be fully realized, with expansions addressing particular battles and/or the forces involved in those being the logical expansions.

Ancients is in the same boat - I don't see many (if any) changes being made to the base game. The revised Epic in expansion 5 seems like the final touches in that department. I suspect more blocks&battles expansions in the mold of expansions 1, 2, & 4.

BattleLore, to me, is also right there as well, with Call to Arms, Epic, and Heroes filling out the game play mechanics. What I expect from Fantasy Flight Games next are Call to Arms deployment decks for the Goblins/Saracens and Dwarves/Scots, as well as for the Human/English and Human/French. Then expand the races/nations themselves in that manner, as well as keep pumping out creatures. Additions to the lore masters/lore decks should keep this game rolling for a good long while. However, it remains to be seen if FFG is going to go that route, or choose the one taken by Days of Wonder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian,

I have BL, MM44(thanks to a permanent loan from my father in law), and C&C Ancients.

I don't know that I would have purchased MM44 but that was the first Borg game I was introduced too and the play seemed ingenious to me.

I think it's been about 3 years of playing these games (I've even played a few Battle Cry on Vassal) and what I like is that even though the basic mechanics are the same, they each have their own flavor and differences that I feel they each deserve play time from me.

I tend to lean toward BL more than C&C or MM44 but I've actually played more C&C because I find more Vassal players/tournaments to do so. I love the lore aspect of BL and prefer playing it over the others for that reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think most folks feel that both are great games.

What theme is more interesting to you? That makes a big difference. I played M44 a few times, but the medieval/fantasy theme makes BL a no-brainer for me. I have several WWII games. For whatever reason, M44 didn't do it for me. Not sure why it didn't click...

Do you prefer breadth or depth? Of course M44 has quite a bit of variety, but adding BL really adds a different element. The downside of variety is that you'll find yourself confusing rules from the two games; it's nice to play a single game so much that the rules disappear and all you see are the tactics and strategy.

On the other hand, variety lets you have slightly different experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have and like M'44 and are interested enough to wonder if you you should get BattleLore. The obvious answer is to play with someone else's copy of BattleLore and see if you like it. If you can't do that, then the only option left for you is to buy BattleLore and try it. I'd say it worth trying out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's nice you're potentionally going from M44 to BL. I went from BL to M44 and found M44 to be very simple by comparison, and soon sold it. If you've never thought M44 as "simple" and you love the WWII theme, then I'd stick with it. Otherwise, if you like fantasy and magic, and want a change of pace, then go with BL.

Another facet to consider is who do you usually play with? For these types of games, I only have so many friends who are interested, and for them, they also prefer the fantasy theme. As a result, I get to play BL more often than I would M44 if I had ended up liking it and kept it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
You have and like M'44 and are interested enough to wonder if you you should get BattleLore. The obvious answer is to play with someone else's copy of BattleLore and see if you like it. If you can't do that, then the only option left for you is to buy BattleLore and try it. I'd say it worth trying out.

Option 3: jump onto Vassal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game of BattleLore will cost you much more than Memoir expansions. So it's a question of whether you'd prefer multiple Memoir expansions or the base game of BattleLore. I can think of reasons for buying either game.

Case for Memoir:
- You get much more stuff.
- A number of BattleLore expansions are out of print at the moment. Might be best to wait for Fantasy Flight to reprint them before starting down the path.

Case for BattleLore:
- If you like fantasy/medieval, it's a good game to have.
- Most of the Memoir expansions are for different theaters. If you're mostly interested in West Front games, there's not much point in investing in the army packs.
- If you have a big chunk of money now, invest in the bigger game. That way, if you have a little money at a later time, you can buy expansions for either game as you prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fehmi Ardali
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!

At first you should answer the question:

Do you interested in WW2 or medieval/fantasy?

Then you'll have the ansver.

I have both and I like BL a little more then Memoir 44!

Matter of taste!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
bktanner wrote:
...I have Memoir '44, and I really love it... I have yet to get any of the expansions.

My question is this, should I invest in Battlelore? Or should I just buy expansions for Memoir?

Both are great games based on the same system, but you already own and love Memoir '44 so I think you should just stick with that one and get an expansion or two when you're ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that Battlelore is the superior game. And Command and Colors is superior to BL. JMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Tanner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the responses guys. I am leaning towards just getting Battlelore... but I really can't decide =). I guess I have time before my tax refund gets here =D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a big Battlelore fan but became bored after playing memoir '44

Now I have the memoir 44 and all the expansions (Eastern Front is great) and I get more out of these than BL.

Memoir 44 is simple true, but its fun, got much stronger theme, and higher replayability. Each campaign feels different to the last. I played a game last night where both sides had an all special forces team and the whole game felt VERY different, the map felt smaller and it felt like a small firefight.

With Battlelore each encounter is very similar to the last. Going through the original game campaigns is fun, because they slowly introduce rules, therefore each campaign is different to the last. However after all rules are introduced. You've reached the end of the road. I really didn't enjoy it much past the original game.

So I think the real decision here is do you feel like a change? BL will provide you with a new game, new feel, new rules.

If you get an expansion, you'll be getting good value as the new campaigns will add new rules to a game you already love, and campaigns that FEEL new and fresh. The theme will be there and the fun will be there.

Tough choice.

1. Memoir '44 - expand a great game which will last a long time.
2. BL - try something different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got all 3 as well. For me, I think the mechanics of the game fit the ancients/fantasy theme a little better, but that's not to say that I dislike M44, and it will really boil down to whether or not you can get into the medieval theme or not. I like the addition of the Lore mechanic, I think it adds some depth to the game that's not there in m44.

As others have said, it boils down to personal tastes, and I don't think you're really going to be able to decide until after you've played it. Unless you have a friend who has it, or can find a Vassal game, you'll just have to buy it to find out if it's really for you or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Tanner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:
I've got all 3 as well. For me, I think the mechanics of the game fit the ancients/fantasy theme a little better, but that's not to say that I dislike M44, and it will really boil down to whether or not you can get into the medieval theme or not. I like the addition of the Lore mechanic, I think it adds some depth to the game that's not there in m44.

As others have said, it boils down to personal tastes, and I don't think you're really going to be able to decide until after you've played it. Unless you have a friend who has it, or can find a Vassal game, you'll just have to buy it to find out if it's really for you or not.

No I don't know anyone who has it. I am the person who introduces my friends to board games / who brings the games for us to play =D. The problem with just buying one is I don't have the money to do that, so I have to be sure I want something before investing in it. Tough decision! =P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:

For me I find the theme of BL pretty weak at best as most senarios are just made up. For theme I'd vote memoir '44 because it does its best at simulating actual campaigns/battles etc.

One question for you Brian. What do you like most about Memoir 44? The theme or just enjoy the way the game plays.

Memoir '44 expansion = more theme.
Battlelore = new way to play.

I don't think you can make a bad decision here though. I recommend against any of the BL expansions though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FinalAttack wrote:

For me I find the theme of BL pretty weak at best as most senarios are just made up. For theme I'd vote memoir '44 because it does its best at simulating actual campaigns/battles etc.

If by theme you mean that a higher percentage of the official scenarios recreate historical battles (Memoir '44: 100%, BattleLore: ~40%), then yes, Memoir '44 has more "theme". But the fictional adventures in BattleLore play the theme of the game to the hilt, and create interesting clashes of forces, positioning, and objective in their own right. When saying that a decision (if one truly finds there a decision to be made here ) between the two games comes down to theme, it is about which theme one prefers, not which theme is better implemented.

Quote:
I don't think you can make a bad decision here though. I recommend against any of the BL expansions though.

The expansions in BattleLore take a lot of flak. Along the lines of the way the expansions were packaged, I empathize, but the pieces and mechanics themselves do enrich the game. If one wants to immerse oneself into BattleLore (without taking the time and effort to expand upon the game ones self ) the expansions are necessary.

If the game is not going to be hitting the table very often - and likewise with Memoir '44 - I would suggest owning both base games, as Danny suggests, for variety of play reasons. If you want a richer experience with either game, I would suggest going the path of the expansions. With the time between expansion releases, I go the path of more or less alternating purchases between the three games - but C&C games receive the bulk of my somewhat limited gaming time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call to Arms and Hundred Years War are absolute must-buys for battlelore. Personally I would pass on the rest, though I haven't yet tried Heroes or Dragons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
Call to Arms and Hundred Years War are absolute must-buys for battlelore. Personally I would pass on the rest, though I haven't yet tried Heroes or Dragons.

Heroes adds leaders and "battle savvy" units, bringing BattleLore more in line with Commands & Colors Ancients. This, IMO, is a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Peabody
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't have Heroes or Dragons yet, but have adopted Battle Savvy and it makes Battlelore amazing! Love the fact that you can be a little more aggressive and that it isn't two perfect lines advancing and clashing the in center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lothiam wrote:
I don't have Heroes or Dragons yet, but have adopted Battle Savvy and it makes Battlelore amazing! Love the fact that you can be a little more aggressive and that it isn't two perfect lines advancing and clashing the in center.

I wish I understood the difference between savvy and not. Battle savvy is essentially the same as the way combat works in Commands & Colors Ancients (regardless of nationality). But are ancient armies like Gauls and Britons really any more battle savvy than typical "non-professional" (e.g., Vikings) medieval armies? Miniatures rules like DBM would rate both these sorts of ancient and medieval armies as "irregular" and give them command restrictions.

Richard Borg is supposed to be a guest at a nearby convention. Gotta ask him when he gets here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Peabody
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Basically Battle Savvy is the ability to Battle Back whenever you don't have to vacate your original hex. Whether you are supported in bold or not. Command and Colors games have never been as complex as most wargames...so whether they are considered an irregular force or not. Much more of a lite war game. The nice thing about battle savvy is not longer have to be in formations of three full units...leading a heavy cavalry charge and not being bold in standard Battlelore rules is just painful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.