Subject: Anything like....? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game anything like Blue Max, just with WW2 planes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Not really Rene. Blue Max was the basis for Canvas Eagles, and Check Your Six is derived from those games. They use plotted orders based on maneuver sheets for each plane type and fairly slow movement- typically 2-4 hexes a turn.

Bag the Hun/Algy are much more of a broad brush approach, with the emphasis on the men in the machines instead of the machines. The game uses a card draw system, with better pilots having more cards they can use. The games flow pretty fast once your players get the system down.
They are by far my favorite air games. I think I did a session report or two on Algernon Pulls it Off here on BGG, Algy and Bag the Hun are more or less the same system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Blanchett
Australia
Clifton Hill
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rene,

BTH has a strong emphasis on formation combat flying and gives skilled pilots a strong advantage over sprogs or novice pilots..
the game uses a card based system for movement one card to move and one to fire for each tactical formation schawarms(4) /sections(3)

Formation flying aids in shooting and avoiding a tail.

the cards confer a single extra "move or fire card" for each top ace or "character" card (senior pilot in a section) to reflect initiative
and if the lea pilot turns up his card his section can move with him, in formation.

this is a "heads-up game" you wont be poring over charts or gauges or flight stands, bth uses 6 range bands though optionally more granular and most people put a dice on the stand for that.

I havent seen bth2 yet (my preorder is in) but a mate of mine, TimCoombes has and his review is on his blog at http://timbo74.blogspot.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Blanchett
Australia
Clifton Hill
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rene, also have a look at [geekurl=http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=44096] this review on the miniatures page from 2005 [/geekurl] and follow the WW2 Aviation Discussion group there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will dig into it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Blanchett
Australia
Clifton Hill
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my PDFs arrivedwill do a review in a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.