Subject: Wargames and the fairer sex rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: women [+] [View All]
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies if this question has been asked before, but as a newbie to BGG (just over a year), I am wondering about the following:

It seems to me that the vast majority of wargamers on this site are guys. What about the ladies? How many females are into playing wargames?

Assuming the answer to my question is a relatively small number, what is it about military simulation games that precludes their appeal to the ladies?

Is it a lack of interest in military history in general, or is it something more specific?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My wife will play wargames with me, including ASL, but they're not really her cup of tea because by their very definition, they involve lots of conflict.

She just doesn't enjoy bringing a flamethrower to bear on a squad of Russians hiding in some trees as much as I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure that the perceived lack of female wargamers is really correct. Wargamers represent a relatively small fraction of gamers, especially on this site. On the whole, most gamers are male, and so women wargamers would logically be a comparable fraction of the wargaming population to the fraction of women gamers overall. Thus one has a small fraction of a small fraction representing women wargamers.

As for why women are less often gamers in the first place, I think it has more to do with acculturation than anything else. Socially men are in Western society taught they should be competitive to a greater extent than women are, which does not mean that either gender is inherently more competitive than the other at all. Games are a healthy way for letting out one's competitive urges. If social mores have amplified those for males, then it stands to reason far more men than women would be gamers.

Moreover, "war" is seen as a male activity primarily. So, when people suggest games to women, they are less likely to suggest wargames. By the same token, other indoor activities-- crafts, reading, etc.-- tend culturally to be more often suggested to women than games or other competitive activities, and again by the same token men less often have other indoor activities suggested to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Pavone
United States
Ruby
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't get into WARgaming to meet chicks. You might play games of other types and have a reasonable hope of meeting women, but I have to agree with the unscientific consensus that women don't enjoy simulating war and combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
After nearly 30 years of wargaming, I have played only one women in a wargame.

I am aware of 2 others nationwide.

A rough guesstimate for me is that 1:300 wargamers are women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I in highschool started with Warhammer 40,000, she had a custom Space Marine Army and I had a custom Chaos.

Flash forward to when I discovered board games, she and I played Axis & Allies as it was the first thing I bought. It was ok for both of us.

I got ahold of Memoir '44 and the rest is history. She regularly plays Memoir, BattleLore, and the Commands & Colors: Ancients series which is her favorite game out of all of them.

My wife enjoy's tabletop conflict, she enjoys making plans, executing them and crushing other peoples plans. She also doesnt look happy when someone interrupts those plans or ruins them, but she always comes up with another.

We've also introduced her Sister; my in law to wargaming with Memoir '44 and she enjoyed it alot. She and Rachel played and Rachel won, then I played her and lost miserably LOL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only come across one female wargamer - a WIF player who is a regular at WIFCon and in the Lansing WIF group.

(Ponders)

Yep, that's all I can come up with.

My wife would rather stick forks in her eyes than play wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Second exhibit .

I introduced my Mom to wargames as well, we play the Borg games as above but Ive also introduced her to games like The Hunt for Red October which is now her favorite game. Her previous favorite game was War of the Ring (First Edition).

My Dad enjoys very lite wargame fare but this is about women so I'll leave that be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Second exhibit .

I introduced my Mom to wargames as well, we play the Borg games as above but Ive also introduced her to games like The Hunt for Red October which is now her favorite game. Her previous favorite game was War of the Ring (First Edition).

My Dad enjoys very lite wargame fare but this is about women so I'll leave that be.

Good for her!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had lots of wargamer girls in our crowd (and we're pretty young, too) but most have drifted off into other things. Right now, the only consistent wargamers are my wife and my daughter.

This may just be a slow period, though. I'd say that out of the 30-40 "regular" wargamers in our crowd, perhaps a fourth were women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
My significant other enjoys all things history. Thankfully that interest extends into gaming as well. And while not as frequent as other game types, her interest does include an occasional wargame... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Francis
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
“"To Aetius, now consul for the third time: the groans of the Britons ... The barbarians drive us to the sea; the sea throws us back on the barbarians: thus two modes of death await us, we are either slain or drowned".” ―Gildas
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish me luck folks,

My girlfriend is about to play Twilight Struggle with me.

It's make or break time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Second exhibit .

I'd call on your Mom for wargaming this summer but I don't think my wife would understand leaving her sister's house to meet another woman. shake

On the other hand I got my wife to play War at Sea (second edition) before going out on our first date. That is the only wargame she has ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Linman
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salute to moms who play wargames! Mine never would.

My wife is another story though. She's very competitive, and when we got married she played chess like a demon. In the past several years:
She's beaten me in Paths of Glory.
She's beaten me in For the People.
She's beaten me in Triumph of Chaos.
She's beaten me two out of three times in Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage.
She's beaten me in Chandragupta.
She's beaten me in Texas Glory.
I've beaten her 4 out of 5 times in 1776.
I don't know how we've split Wooden Ships & Iron Men, but it's about 3-3.
She's beaten me in the 2-player version of Here I Stand.
We've split about 2-2 in Conquest of Paradise.
She's beaten me twice in Warriors of God.

So, though she doesn't participate on BGG, my wife definitely plays wargames, and plays them well enough to beat me more often than not. She doesn't like to read long rulebooks, so generally I'm teaching her the basics and telling her at times what her options are, but she selects what she's going to do. She also doesn't like to spend more than an hour or so at the game board, so even short ones like HRC get left on the table for a couple of weeks.

The only fly in the ointment is that she's gotten thoroughly hooked in the last month or so on Alhambra, so that's been what we mostly play so far this year. I have faith that it will pass though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife likes Wargames but only last year did I manage to pursued her to even try them. She is competitive and a naturally good player but only likes wargames where she has an interest in the history. So WW2 games are out.

She would never come on BGG as she would consider it wasting time. She only uses computers when she has to anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Varus wrote:
Salute to moms who play wargames! Mine never would.

My wife is another story though. She's very competitive, and when we got married she played chess like a demon. In the past several years:
She's beaten me in Paths of Glory.
She's beaten me in For the People.
She's beaten me in Triumph of Chaos.
She's beaten me two out of three times in Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage.
She's beaten me in Chandragupta.
She's beaten me in Texas Glory.
I've beaten her 4 out of 5 times in 1776.
I don't know how we've split Wooden Ships & Iron Men, but it's about 3-3.
She's beaten me in the 2-player version of Here I Stand.
We've split about 2-2 in Conquest of Paradise.
She's beaten me twice in Warriors of God.

So, though she doesn't participate on BGG, my wife definitely plays wargames, and plays them well enough to beat me more often than not. She doesn't like to read long rulebooks, so generally I'm teaching her the basics and telling her at times what her options are, but she selects what she's going to do. She also doesn't like to spend more than an hour or so at the game board, so even short ones like HRC get left on the table for a couple of weeks.

The only fly in the ointment is that she's gotten thoroughly hooked in the last month or so on Alhambra, so that's been what we mostly play so far this year. I have faith that it will pass though.

So, when does devil collect your soul for this heaven on earth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife plays most wargames with me. Last night we played Jena 20 and split two games. Her Twilight Struggle is improving and she's even with me in Memoir 44 and CC: Ancients all-time. Obviously, like any person, not every game is her cup of tea. This is her and Hannibal:

Finally, this isn't my photo but it is, by far, my favourite here on BGG:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Linman
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So, when does devil collect your soul for this heaven on earth?

I don't know, but under the circumstances I think I'm willing to pay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Wesley
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest thing to a wargame I can get my wife to play is backgammon.

We play a lot of euros, and she doesn't mind me spending long weekends away from the house playing wargames. She even puts up with me inviting fellow wargamers over to our house for hours-long sessions.

I did get her to "play" C&C:Ancients with me once... She played the other side, we just switched sides all the time so I was always the offense, she was always the defense. She didn't mind rolling the dice & doing the retreats.

Much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"No ASL = Dog house for you"
The threat that I am prone to sudden outbursts of migraine just before love making if I do not get my regular wargame fix makes them finish their set up in no time.

Boggles the mind none of you ever thought of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Legionary312AD wrote:
Wish me luck folks,

My girlfriend is about to play Twilight Struggle with me.

It's make or break time!

After having very little success in convincing my partner in trying out ASLSK, I suggested Twilight Struggle. She really liked it! Well maybe a little less when I ended up winning after the final count...

But Twilight Struggle doesn't have flame throwers, which is a minus for me, but a plus for her!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.