Subject: Collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raven Johnson
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
Okay this is really annoying... I noticed that when I merely RATED a game, it was added to the list entitled "Collection!". Why would anyone want that?! And, rather strangely, the "Wishlist" button is available, to show only games you WISH to have, but no button is available to show all the games you own, which "Colllection" would be expected to do??

MY suggestion is, REMOVE ALL THOSE EXTRANEOUS GAMES FROM THE LIST!! IF BGG people decide that for some odd reason they actually want a second list of every game they've ever rated or etc. beyond the already-available option in the profile tab, there can be a separate button to show that, but "Collection" should show only games "Owned" and "Previously Owned". After all, that is the only way a game will actually be in my collection!

In a related subject... Why in the world does "Wishlist" have the option of "Do not buy this game?" If we "do not" think anyone should "buy this game," why would we "wish" for it?! A Wishlist scale of 1 - 5 Should be like, 1 - MUST, 2 - Love 3 - Want - 4 - Want a little bit 5 - Just for collection purposes. Or something like that... in other words, containing nothing that says we DON'T want the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you click on 'Filter' on the upper left corner of your 'collection'screen you can choose which games you'd like to view (own, wishlist, rated etc).
If you go to 'geekstuff' in your profile and you click on 'owned' you get a list of only the games you own.

Why are rated games added to your collection too?
I guess that because of the filters it poses no problem (except to people who don't know about the filter) and for those who'd like to keep track of the games they've rated (to adjust the rating after more plays for example) it is pretty handy.

Ps: you might wanna consider dropping all the exlamation marks and capitals, it comes over quite agressive and doesn't serve your purpose. Just saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In your profile, there is a link to "Owned":

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Rayvn7?own=1&subtyp...

You can go to this page, and then click on one of your plus signs in your quickbar, giving you a quicklink to your owned games. If you want to display it differently (say, show thumbnails), then make it how you want it, and then click "Permalink" in the upper right of the list. This will give you a URL that you can quicklink as well. I have several quicklinks for views I use a lot, that otherwise would take several clicks, like my collection in thumbnail view, or a trade search for the US and Canada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rayvn7 wrote:

In a related subject... Why in the world does "Wishlist" have the option of "Do not buy this game?" If we "do not" think anyone should "buy this game," why would we "wish" for it?! A Wishlist scale of 1 - 5 Should be like, 1 - MUST, 2 - Love 3 - Want - 4 - Want a little bit 5 - Just for collection purposes. Or something like that... in other words, containing nothing that says we DON'T want the game!

Please read this comment after you have come down from your caffeine high, you seem a little stressed.

The wishlist is often used by people to give to others who buy them gifts, i.e. wife, brothers, parents. Therefore if I tell my parents to check my wishlist, they will see what I would really like as well as games I absolutely do not want.

It can also be used as a reminder to yourself that you have tried this game and did not care for it. I don't like to rate games after one play, so I may not rate it, but I know that I don't want to own it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Theiss
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for telling me what this is for. I was using it as a want in trade also. Now I will have to go through the 300+ games and let them know where to look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an impressive amount of rage built up after only two days on the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:
The wishlist is often used by people to give to others who buy them gifts, i.e. wife, brothers, parents. Therefore if I tell my parents to check my wishlist, they will see what I would really like as well as games I absolutely do not want.

It can also be used as a reminder to yourself that you have tried this game and did not care for it. I don't like to rate games after one play, so I may not rate it, but I know that I don't want to own it.

I have used the "do not want" feature of the wishlist to mark games I have interest in buying, but am uncertain about and do not want others to buy for me. I may decide to buy them later, but for now, I don't want to get them. It could also be for an item that you only want a specific version of and you don't trust that someone else will buy the one you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's your collection of ratings. How else would you find what you rated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Johnson
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
The Iced One wrote:
If you click on 'Filter' on the upper left corner of your 'collection'screen you can choose which games you'd like to view (own, wishlist, rated etc).

That's a ridiculously long form to fill out just to see the games you own when you've already had to spend 12 hours adding them to your collection solely so that you and others could see which games you own!

Quote:
If you go to 'geekstuff' in your profile and you click on 'owned' you get a list of only the games you own.

And that's in an entirely different section then "Collection!"

So I still submit the idea to show the games you OWN in your "COLLECTION" list, with a "show all games rated" "expand" button if someone wants to see the rest of them - which is unlikely unless it's "Wishlist", which odes have a viewable section.

Quote:
Why are rated games added to your collection too?
I guess that because of the filters it poses no problem (except to people who don't know about the filter) and for those who'd like to keep track of the games they've rated (to adjust the rating after more plays for example) it is pretty handy.

Of course all websites that have forum should have an area where you can see what you and others have posted to the website. However, instead of being located in an appropriate location, on the current website this is located in a location designed for showing which games you want "Collected". If a game is rated 1, that obviously isn't something I want in any kind of "Collection".

Quote:
Ps: you might wanna consider dropping all the exlamation marks and capitals, it comes over quite agressive and doesn't serve your purpose. Just saying.

They're necessary when something is extremely annoying, extremely idiotic, or otherwise involving of something necessary to have exclamation marks... in this case it's just an extremely poorly designed site (Note: "Poorly designed" has nothing to do with "content and idea"). It really pisses me off that someone would design a site like that, especially if the site has many members (at which point, if it was a crappy design to begin with, you'd expect a redesign - Note: The sentence is parenthesis is completely generic.).

indigopotter wrote:

You can go to this page, and then click on one of your plus signs in your quickbar, giving you a quicklink to your owned games. If you want to display it differently (say, show thumbnails), then make it how you want it, and then click "Permalink" in the upper right of the list. This will give you a URL that you can quicklink as well. I have several quicklinks for views I use a lot, that otherwise would take several clicks, like my collection in thumbnail view, or a trade search for the US and Canada.

If you have "several links saved to get you to a specific area of the site", that's just evidence that those areas are not very accessible, even though some people use them extremely frequently.

indigopotter wrote:

If you have "several links saved to get you to a specific area of the site", that's just evidence that those areas are not very accessible, even though some people use them extremely frequently.

Quote:
Please read this comment after you have come down from your caffeine high, you seem a little stressed.

Of course I am "stressed"; I'm trying to navigate a site that has an area to keep your board game collection in but refuses to show you your board game collection as an easily-accessible view in that area! I am also attempting to navigate a site that seems specifically designed to prevent people from navigating it! Anyone would be stressed in such a situation!

Quote:
The wishlist is often used by people to give to others who buy them gifts, i.e. wife, brothers, parents.

Okay... what does that have to do with the fact that a wishlist (which isn't likely to be needed anywhere near as often) is available from the normal control panel and profile areas, but a "Collection" area is not, AND IN ADDITION there is even an area entitled "Collection" that shows somethign other then collection! So what does the fact that a wishlist exists have to do with it if you are arguing against me? Yes i had to post that sentence a second time because otherwise it would have looked like it was a different subject.

Quote:

Okay... don't you think it's pretty obvious when you go to the store and there's a game you don't like, that you're not going to buy it? Also if you want to keep track of games you can't stand, that IS what ratings are for. So if you don't want to rate it... that's really not our fault. You know what the game is like and you know you don't want to play it again... if you're not sure whether it's a three or a 6, then don't rate it. But don't add it to your wishlist either, because if you do then someone looking at your wishlist will probably buy it for you! You may not remember the name of the game if you only played it once 10 years ago, but if you see it in a store, then you'll remember.

paperemail wrote:
Thanks for telling me what this is for. I was using it as a want in trade also. Now I will have to go through the 300+ games and let them know where to look.

I don't know what you're talking about because your comment doesn't make sense. But yes, an area entitled "Collection" is generally either
a) Designed as a place to keep your COLLECTION or
b) The designers of the website you're on have an I.Q. under 23 or
c) The designers of the website aren't native speakers of English and confused the word "Collection" with some other word that doesn't exist in English (some word in their native language which means "Items you own in a specific category as well as items you want to own in a specific category as well as opinions you have given on a website").

Since c) doesn't seem to apply, and b) requires an insult, I'll go with a) being the reason for it.

Do you USE the area for something else? Yes, apparently. WHY do you use that area for something else? Because the design of the website requires you to do so, if you wish to use that feature Because the design of the website does not allow you to use any other area of the website, besides that one, for the purpose you are using it for. This means that if the designers had designed the website better, more organized, and more logically, or if they were to re-design the website right now so that it functions better, you would no longer have to press a hundred extra clicks and read a long, drawn-out form to get to your "want in trade", or whatever, but instead you would be able to go to an area that is actually designed for what you are actually wanting to do. In this case, a logically-designed website would call that the "trade" area.

jdludlow wrote:
That's an impressive amount of rage built up after only two days on the site.

That's an impressive non-reason to SPAM the topic. Might be mildly interesting if anyone had posted anything involving "rage" =\. I don't recall posting any SPAM or making any physical threats, myself.

scottredracecar wrote:
I have used the "do not want" feature of the wishlist to mark games I have interest in buying, but am uncertain about and do not want others to buy for me. I may decide to buy them later, but for now, I don't want to get them. It could also be for an item that you only want a specific version of and you don't trust that someone else will buy the one you want.

I suppose that makes a small amount of sense, except that
1) You're indicating to the people viewing the list that you hate them game, when you say you're unsure (In which case a "Thinking about it" option is available - meaning "I'm not sure")
2) Keeping the game OFF your list implies that you either don't want it too badly or haven't heard of it

...and a 'wishlist', at least one purpose of one, is so that other people can buy you things you aren't willing to spend money (oops I mean U.S. Currency) on yourself if you want them. The "notes" section does apply to the wishlist if you want to get a specific version only and are dealing with people who won't automatically know the difference, but in general when you receive gifts, there is ALWAYS a chance you didn't want it, and that's when you simply return it and get the one you did want.

I mean come on, you aunt says she wants to buy you a board game secretly, and she's not a member of this site, so you e-mail her a URL to your wishlist, and what is she going to do? Print it out, look at what's on it, and possibly buy you one of the things that is. Since BGG does not put 0's at a separate part at the bottom of the list, I think that if people want a 'OMG I HATE THIS GAME DON'T BUY IT" option, there should be a separate checkbox they can tick, which will cause the game to show up at the bottom of the wishlisht, under a heavy line and a bold headline that says, "I DO NOT WANT THE FOLLOWING GAMES". That's really the only way such a thing would be effective, except in the highly unlikely even that everyone you know who might ever buy you a board game is a member of this site and you've explicitly notified them that the '0's on your lists are games you don't like.

UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
It's your collection of ratings. How else would you find what you rated?

The same way every other website ever made keeps track of things like that; the logical (and separated!) way, of having a button entitled "ratings", or in the logically-located same place as every other thing you've posted to the site is located: User: Posts > 453 Games submitted > 3 Corrections submitted > 23 Ratings > 44 ..... etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rayvn7 wrote:
The same way every other website ever made keeps track of things like that; the logical (and separated!) way, of having a button entitled "ratings", or in the logically-located same place as every other thing you've posted to the site is located

Which is precisely what BGG gives you at your My Geek page: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Rayvn7

Logical, separated buttons, all located in one central area allowing you to see each of your different collections:

Owned 92
Previously Owned 3
For Trade 0
Want In Trade 0
Want To Buy 1
Want To Play 9
Preordered 0
Wishlist 13
Commented 31
Fandom 9
For Sale
Sold
Board Game Plays 2
Board Game Expansion Plays 1
Board Game Ratings 1
Board Game Expansion Ratings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your collection on the website is deliberately not meant to be limited to the physical games you own. It is intended to be a convenient virtual collection of all games you care about due to owning / wanting / rating / commenting / playing them.

Your real-life physical collection is just one subset of your virtual collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rayvn7 wrote:

There used to be a 'Personalized Recommendations' tool that would recommend new games to you based on your existing ratings. There was a feature in this tool that allowed you to drop all items that are in your wishlist out of consideration by the tool. You could add a game as 'Do not buy this game' to your wishlist in order to drop that game out of consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Unbeliever wrote:
There used to be a 'Personalized Recommendations' tool that would recommend new games to you based on your existing ratings.

Still there: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/The%20Unbeliever/recommend...

Substitute your own usernames as desired. Use %20 for spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm not sure what the algorith used is, but it's reccomending some strange games for me: Tiddledy Winks, Bingo, Hangman!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/col_w/recommendations

The only game that looks interesting in the whole list is Mr. Jack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not enough data. You only have 3 games rated high enough that show your "likes".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on, haven't we learned not to feed trolls yet? I mean, the internet's been around for what, 20 years? The OP's a dufus; why bother with going over the same tedious explanations again and AGAIN and AGAIN!!!!

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not enough data. You only have 3 games rated high enough that show your "likes".

4: Hive, Dominion, Scrabble, Carcassonne. Not sure how any reccomendation system gets from them to Tiddley Winks or Bingo!

I might revisit my ratings and see how that changes things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
Come on, haven't we learned not to feed trolls yet? I mean, the internet's been around for what, 20 years? The OP's a dufus; why bother with going over the same tedious explanations again and AGAIN and AGAIN!!!!

I don't believe there's any trolling here, just a new user legitimately asking questions - and one that I've seen other new users ask before. No harm in replying, and some useful stuff has come out of the thread, like the reccomendations link mentioned above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP:

There are approximately 250k users of this site who are pretty thankful for what this site provides to our hobby. I would suggest you figure out what is going on before you go off.

Or design your own site...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:

I don't believe there's any trolling here, just a new user legitimately asking questions - and one that I've seen other new users ask before. No harm in replying, and some useful stuff has come out of the thread, like the reccomendations link mentioned above.

I don't see a new user asking questions. I wondered about a lot of these things when I started. However, I posted in "How to BGG", not "Suggestions".

Just sayin'...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Unbeliever wrote:
There used to be a 'Personalized Recommendations' tool that would recommend new games to you based on your existing ratings.

Still there: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/The%20Unbeliever/recommend...

Substitute your own usernames as desired. Use %20 for spaces.

Is there any way to navigate to this anymore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, go there and set a quickbar entry. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Personalized recommendations" sounded like fun but I also got Tiddly Winks as number two. And I have 23 games rated nine or ten, with not one of them having anything to do with dexterity [unless your fingers are too fat to play my sole number ten, Go.]

I have Carcassonne rated higher than most on BGG but my fairly long recommendation list had almost no tile laying games. I have some Sherlock Holmes games so my list contains a great many games related to Holmsiana though not at all related to the mechanics of my rated Holmes games.

Looks to me like the list would work o.k. for people who collect based on the game themes but no on the mechanics. Ameritrash v. Euro sensibilities?

Perhaps the algorithm needs some tweaking.

Anyone know if there is a meta thread "about" the recommendations list or an admin. type who is interested in this sort of stuff?

And, since there are some people paying attention to this thread who seem to know and care about such things, is there an easy way to make a list of games by multiple criteria, say any the in top 300 ranked games that involve tile laying and have a weight higher than 2.8? Lastly, are there any detailed standards for weight ranking?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.