São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh hay chit chat! How are you? Do you miss me? I've moved!!! Finished everything yesterday. Well, almost everything. The stupid company didn-t come to install the adsl and the phone, and now, only next saturday. Same for the furniture company which was coming to install the wardrobes but didn't, so, next saturday too.

See you monday from work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
We moved in December and have had a similar problem, though ours has focused on useless utility companies:

-the phone jack people took weeks to get around to putting our jacks in despite repeated days set to do it
-our old phone company disconnected our dsl 16 days before the agreed date
-the new phone company sent our modem to the wrong address TWICE
-the old phone company didn't come to install service in our new address TWICE
-we finally got phone/internet and everything on xmas eve!
-the gas company can't seem to generate a bill, so it took us two and a half months to get our first bill, despite repeated calls
-the hydro company still hasn't sent us a bill
-the cable company sent us one bill, but hasn't sent one since.

We're spending all this time chasing them around to get them to let us pay them....ridiculous!

Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL!!! Reminds me of the first time I moved and changed my address on my credit cards and other creditors--this was before the internet age.

I wrote the new address on the bills--in the space allotted for changing your address--plus I called each and every creditor to give them my new address.

I had a couple that didn't do it. I called again. That left me with one that still didn't change it. I called them again, and again. It must have taken I believe 5 telephone calls before they "got it" right!! shake

Now, I don't expect EVERYONE to have a college degree or a brain, but when you answer customer service calls you should, at a minimum, have the skills to listen to an address over the telephone and write it down correctly!!!!!! No????

Come to think of it, this is the same company that didn't update my credit card to my married name, after repeatedly asking them to!!!!! Yep, that card still has my maiden name on it!!!!! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Come to think of it, this is the same company that didn't update my credit card to my married name, after repeatedly asking them to!!!!! Yep, that card still has my maiden name on it!!!!! laugh

Um...not meaning to be critical here...and you're still doing business with these Nimrods...why is that? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have not moved in twenty years. But this winter we have been remodeling the kitchen and all three bathrooms. It's almost worse than moving. There are boxes everywhere and we keep packing and unpacking them. The remodeling has gone very, very well so far. We have one bathroom and the kitchen back and the second bath should be back on line this week except for the sink.

However, during all this (and none of it was from the remodel):

-We had to replace the dryer.
-The garage door spring broke and burned out the motor.
-The cat dropped a live rat in the living room that requiring us to leave the doors to outside open for three days in the dead of winter until it left. We can't safely use either bait or snap traps around the cat. The rat ignored our cage trap.
-The roof leaked over the game collection.
-The garage door window blew out in a wind storm.
-Raw sewage was running in the garage and we had to move all the boxes of china yet again to get them out of the way.
-We had to call tree trimmers because our satellite was cutting out during storms.
-The phone was out for 8 days.

I think this is the full list. I am hoping we've used up all our bad luck for a while.

-Helen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
hholzgrafe wrote:
We have not moved in twenty years. But this winter we have been remodeling...

I need to do this sometime in the near future, and I can't imagine how. What do you do with the furniture when you want to replace the floors? Not to mention the stuff in the furniture.

I feel your pain about appliances. 2008 was the year of the water heater. And of the Very Wet Garage. Thank goodness the weather was dry and warm. This involved a fair amount of plumbing because the fittings were old. The plumbing was interesting: A Master Plumber, a journeyman, and an apprentice: a pattern of guild-like training going back to medieval times at least. Interesting, but expensive.

2009 was the dryer--I replaced the washer, too, because it was so old. As they were carried out, I discovered that the dryer might have just been repaired, but the washer was rusted down to foil-thickness, with a pile of rust flakes under it. The new washer and dryer were rather disappointing. I didn't want to pop for the hugely expensive front loaders, but conventional W/D showed absolutely no progress in the 15-20 years since the last set. What technology stays stable for that long? Indeed, they were less capable. I had assumed "automatic dryer" meant it sensed moisture and shut off automatically like my old dryer; it actually meant "has a timer". All the controls are still mechanical dials that step to timers. The dryer alarm, from the sound, is an electro-mechanical buzzer.

Interesting trick the plumber (same guy) used to deal with the gas connection (the new dryer is electric). Without turning off the master gas line and needing to relight everything, he just unattached the gas line and put his finger over the hole. He said gas is only 1/2 psi. He prepared the plug, took his finger off, and screwed the plug in. Not even a whiff of gas-smell that I noticed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
hholzgrafe wrote:
We have not moved in twenty years. But this winter we have been remodeling...

I need to do this sometime in the near future, and I can't imagine how. What do you do with the furniture when you want to replace the floors? Not to mention the stuff in the furniture.

We did the floors and removed the "popcorn" ceiling about 10 years ago. That was in many ways worse, but only lasted a few days. We rented a huge storage box (20 feet long) that sat in the parking spaces in front of our house for about 2-3 weeks. We moved everything in there.

We have 10 bookcases of double stacked books (50+ boxes just for that). All the furniture had to go in there, too. We outsourced the sofa and large antique chair to be reupholstered. We got rid of the kids toddler type furniture and bought stuff that would last them.

The actual work on the ceiling was one day, the painting was 2-3 days, the floor was about a week because they had to do it over due to their screw ups. It took longer to pack and unpack than the work did.

This time around we just have to live with boxes everywhere and wait and wait for things to get done. Moving back into the kitchen is taking forever because we need to wash all the dishes as they come out of the boxes. We can't just throw things back into drawers and on shelves like you can with books and clothes.

-Helen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Saga Continues....

(singing)It's a sunny morning too, in 2010. Big city. Geez, has it been what, an week? Internet. I can't have you.

You know, sometimes I want to punch people in the face. Not only punch, but kill them all. Remember the saga of my phone install? The saga continues. It was supposed to be installed tomorrow, but the technician went home today. By chance I was just leaving for work and was home.

Ten minutes later, he tells me he can't install it. The reason? I have another cable company for my tv, and they can't pass 2 cables on the pipe, no space. Two hours and 7, 7! Phone calls later, I decided to cancel the other cable tv, and sign a package with them, what I didn't want since the begning, but otherwise I would be without internet for I don't know how long and paying much more than I wanted.

But they will only install sunday afternoon, making me lose my game day. And I was going to be one of the two chefs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.