Subject: What's that on his beret?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully you are not refering to the picture on the box lid?
He never came that close to the bridge in September 1944! whistle

Try this website for an answer: http://www.pegasusarchive.org/
You might have to sent them a mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
m'b a bird flew over him afore the photos were tooken and did its business

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is simply the cap badge worn by all British General Officers.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Langer
Germany
Coburg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
FIS Franconian Gaming Club
badge
History teacher at work
mbmbmbmbmb
I support Teamski on that... I was still searching for a picture...laugh

Urquhart was from the 52nd Lowland Division originally, but the cap badge is not connected to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, the illustration on the box cover seems to be a straight lift from the movie "A Bridge too Far."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. MacNeil
Belgium
DPO
AE
flag msg tools
I think that the cover art is a still from the movie 'A Bridge Too Far' or possible a still from 'The Longest Day'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelly2824Sq wrote:
I think that the cover art is a still from the movie 'A Bridge Too Far' or possible a still from 'The Longest Day'

The two figures in the front could be from one of the two movies, but the guys at the back are a copy of a real photo from the batlle in the rubbles of Arnhem.
I believe I've seen it in a Osprey book about Operation Market Garden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Fisher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
MidKentGamerUK wrote:
Major-General Roy Urquhart led the paras at Arnhem, but contemporary pictures show him with a badge that clearly isn't the 'parachute with wings'.

The Airborne Division was made up of 6 battalions of Parachute Regiment infantry and 3 battalions of glider borne infantry (in this division from the Border Regiment, the South Stafford Regiment and the Kings Own Scottish Borderers Regiment). Attached were the usual mix of artillery, medical corps etc...

Whilst Urquhart was commander of the 1st Airborne Division, he wasn't a member of the Parachute Regiment. Nor were most of the attached units, or the 3 glider borne regiments. All regiments wore their traditional cap badge (only the Parachute Regiment wore the parachute with wings), but every soldier in an airborne division wore the red beret.

So, Urquhart wore his traditional cap badge. Now, I'd always assumed that it was the Highland Light Infantry (Urquhart's first unit), but a bit of checking reveals that it doesn't appear to be.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Light_Infantry

Still, I hope the explanation helps.

Much later edit: Just dawned on me; it's his General's badge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Fisher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Slotracer wrote:
Kelly2824Sq wrote:

The two figures in the front could be from one of the two movies, but the guys at the back are a copy of a real photo from the batlle in the rubbles of Arnhem.
I believe I've seen it in a Osprey book about Operation Market Garden.

It's this image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:British_paratroopers_in_Oosterbeek.jpg

The two gents at the front don't appear to represent anyone in particular as far as I can tell, and doesn't come from any historical image that I've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.