Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Haydel
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was setting up a game the other day, and in looking at the rulebook's suggested setup, I noticed a seemingly strange, random single (as far as I can tell) card next to the skill and blessing/curse cards, that I just couldn't figure out for the life of me what it was.

It's pictured here:

Naturally, it's difficult to make out the text on the card (except that it's definitely all text, and no pictures), but I figured some AH ninja could put my mind at ease here (ColtsFan76 maybe?!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the text side of a Bank Loan to me. Which is kind ironic, since in 104 games, those cards have been used I think 2 times (since Finn Edwards gets a BL during setup).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara Saurio
Spain
Valencia
Valencia
flag msg tools
Logitech G25 + rFactor + XtremeRacers = pure sim racing!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Looks like the text side of a Bank Loan to me. Which is kind ironic, since in 104 games, those cards have been used I think 2 times (since Finn Edwards gets a BL during setup).

Just two times?
You don't need to buy stuff to save the world???

I get a bank loan 1¡almost every game, depending on the starting objects the investigators get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marasaurio wrote:

Just two times?
You don't need to buy stuff to save the world???

I get a bank loan 1¡almost every game, depending on the starting objects the investigators get.

Never taken one (hazy inkling Jenny Barnes may have once taken a BL, but unlikely), don't even like that Finn gets one during setup, it's an auto -1 to end score shake. Newspaper is a solid bet for $$$. Elder Signs are now so rare, 4 in 98 cards (and it's a positive thing) that I know I can't count of them. Have to seal 6 (sometimes 7 or even 8 goo, gate bursts rock!) gates by Clues. If I get an ES, nice, if not, I know I can win without. Usually I have the investigators shop on the first turn, assuming they can reach the Curiositie Shoppe (General Store is used about as often as Bank Loans) and have $5. If they have less money and there is no need trade it to anyone, just start collecting Clues. With DH and IH in the mix, will have to leave $2-4 for eventual out of Arkham trips and Falcon Point.

And I don't like the abusability of BLs. Take a BL, shop till you're broke, trade away all your stuff and wait to default the loan, then get stuff back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Haydel
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

Huh, yeah, I guess that is what it is indeed.

Weird that you'd have one sitting over there and not with the others.

Oh well, I think the case can be put to rest. Thanks Rauli!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

And I don't like the abusability of BLs. Take a BL, shop till you're broke, trade away all your stuff and wait to default the loan, then get stuff back.

Why not? That's how it's done in real life to screw over the Repo-man (or under Bankruptcy laws where you get keep most of your stuff)....Let's hope you never have to find out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've never gotten one either, but I've seen tactics online of people getting one, buying stuff, giving said stuff to another player, then defaulting on the loan...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

I think it’s a valid strategy if you’re using the Victory Points rules anyway, since you’re only screwing yourself over. Not that we’ve ever used it. We just never have the time for all that fannying about. By the time you’ve finished getting your loan, shopping, trading your stuff away, and defaulting, the world has invariably ended because you weren’t looking for clues . . .

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Victory points, but only in the sense that I calculate the score at the end of the game, so I can fill in that section of the stat sheets. Don't play for the highest score and don't care about score. Win > draw > loss is the bottom line for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Thornton
England
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say I get a bank loan every other game, possibly every game of late. It has never occurred to me (or any of my mates) to trade away all my items and default. Has helped me out a lot nonetheless. Also not sure how the trading away would work, is it not random when it happens, so leaving the possibility of going n turns with no stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ProfToff wrote:
I'd say I get a bank loan every other game, possibly every game of late. It has never occurred to me (or any of my mates) to trade away all my items and default. Has helped me out a lot nonetheless. Also not sure how the trading away would work, is it not random when it happens, so leaving the possibility of going n turns with no stuff!

You can still collect Clues (preferrably at sealed locations, no worries about gates or monsters appearing), fish Newspaper for Retainer, sit at South Church and cash in your trophies for Blessings for everyone, etc., even with no stuff at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Renaud
Canada
Mission
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use bank loans rarely and we've only abused the system of trading items once. A couple of our players are fond of the idea when using Jenny or taking a gamble if they have a retainer if we need a sudden boost, like if someone got devoured and the replacement character needs some weaponry. I think one player took it to support his dual-wielding kerosene when there were a bunch of monsters on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.