BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Gaming and beyond rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been reading through BGG for about 6 months now, loved it, and also recklessly been buying up board games to try them out. Well, I really haven’t been trying too many of them out because for some reason, with two kids, my wife sleeps their hours which leaves me alone.

So, I have been playing Thunderstone solo and been hooked on one set of randomly drawn of cards that I couldn’t beat. I have played it about 10 times changing my strategy to face the same three sets of monsters in their random order. Just recently, I have beaten it twice and want to play it some more to see if I have finally found the strategy that works for this combo of monsters.

This past week between games of Thunderstone, I focused on trying to switch my fish tank over to a natural, planted style, which involves organizing a balance of fish, nutrients, plants, light, and water quality to keep it all going well, and of course the layout design. It occurred to me that basically, I am playing some sort of resource management game?

I got to thinking, during the non-winter months, I really enjoy gardening and growing things: plants, water, pets & disease, fertilizer, space, layout/design. I realized that is pretty much some sort of game too?

I am hoping to scratch up the money to try keeping chickens this year. It sounds fun! I reality, I am a light weight busybody who likes to putter and manage things. I have been gardening and fish tanking for years and recently only found board games. I was wondering if anyone else has realized they have hobbies that very much mimic the nature of board games. What are those hobbies and how are they similar to board gaming?

(I wasn't sure if this was off-topic or not, but it seemed related to gaming.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice bit of lateral thinking, also good for gaming.

Not so much a hobby, but my job as a software developer. At it's heart it is about problem solving in a dynamic, changing environment. That is what what I enjoy about gaming. Those problem solving skills in both cases often require some creative thinking about solutions and ways to use the resources you have.

I guess hobbies should be about switching to a different part of your brain, but then watching dumb-ass blockbuster films and sport do that for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my other hobbies is gaming on the Xbox 360 so that would tie to gaming as it is a form of gaming.

I also really enjoy reading, I try to do a book a month. I suppose you could tie that into gaming because of reading the rules and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.