Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Hill
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more and more I play this game the more I feel that the Trainer card is way overpowered.There are three people in my gaming group that also feel the same way.
I was wondering if anyone else feels this way??
I would really like to know what other people think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you think it's overpowered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Würselen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it thins your deck and provides you XP what allows you to level up other heroes real quick. I am also of the opinion that this card is overpowerd, but Pawnbroker goes into the same category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever had it in the village a couple of times, same with pawnbroker and not found them over powered. Found it quicker to gain xp from monster killing than militia destroying, for leveling hero purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
but everyone has the same access to it. A game with trainer is different than games without, but that's not necessarily a bad thing IMO.

In fact, the last game I played I was concentrating on using trainers to destroy my militia, but I got walloped by my opponent who just went into the dungeon and killed things.

I was catching up, but he was too far ahead by the time I was killing things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deefer wrote:
but everyone has the same access to it.
Exactly. It's not realistic to expect every card to be equally powerful, so then it stands to reason that some will be more powerful than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Vessenes
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In a well designed game, one would hope that certain cards are more powerful in some situations while other cards are more powerful in others. In Dominion, Gold is better than Silver EXCEPT when you don't have $6 to spend. Then Silver is better because it's the option that improves your deck while Gold is not available to you. Except the $4 cost on Trainer is not prohibitive. Everyone can get two copies by their third turn (and usually their second) unless supplies run out-- and they will.

I echo the complaint about Trainer. I've often found that spending a turn resting to remove a Militia is a great play, so getting an XP bonus from it and not missing the Village Phase is amazing. I would buy the Trainer if it only gave 1 XP. I would even buy it if it trashed a Militia for 0 XP, simply because it thins out my deck faster.

The problem isn't that Trainer is useful in many game setups. It's that there are no game setups where Trainer is NOT useful. Try playing it in a five player game and see what happens to the two players who can't get two copies of trainer in their deck.

Similar comments apply to Pawn Broker, though not to the same extent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see that.

It is insanely powerful and you can frequently destroy a militia AND level up a level1 hero in your hand with the resulting XP.

Although... like I mentioned, I have lost by concentrating on the efficiency of my hand with trainers and not going to the dungeon in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tedv wrote:
The problem isn't that Trainer is useful in many game setups. It's that there are no game setups where Trainer is NOT useful. Try playing it in a five player game and see what happens to the two players who can't get two copies of trainer in their deck.

I can attest to that. I was one of the last two players in a five-player deck with the trainer and the two of us at the end of the line got buried. The third-level characters were gone before we could even try for second-level characters. We had problems even getting the second level characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dea Draper
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deefer wrote:

you can frequently destroy a militia AND level up a level1 hero in your hand with the resulting XP.

It sounds as though you are saying you can first destroy and then level.

In the village you FIRST
1. level up any Hero Cards in your hand.
THEN you
2.reveal and resolve cards from hand.

My understanding is this turn order has to be followed. You can't resolve cards first, then level up. That takes away a lot of the power you are giving the Trainer.

However, I do believe you can get 2XP and 2 Gold with the card on the same turn. That is strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
familywontplay wrote:
It sounds as though you are saying you can first destroy and then level.

In the village you FIRST
1. level up any Hero Cards in your hand.
THEN you
2.reveal and resolve cards from hand.

My understanding is this turn order has to be followed. You can't resolve cards first, then level up. That takes away a lot of the power you are giving the Trainer.

This was changed in the new rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dea Draper
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know there were new rules. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the newest version is 1.4, and it is excellent . You can download it from the AEG website:

http://www.alderac.com/thunderstone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomekin wrote:

I can attest to that. I was one of the last two players in a five-player deck with the trainer and the two of us at the end of the line got buried. The third-level characters were gone before we could even try for second-level characters. We had problems even getting the second level characters.

Yeah, we're thinking that it's too powerful as well. We just finished a 5p game where I got 0 trainers and everyone else had 2. (I played last, and drew only 1 gold on my first draw, so I couldn't buy any trainers.) I think I played about the best game I could anyways, by just going to the dungeon almost every time to lose and send the big monsters down to the bottom so the other more powerful people couldn't kill the big point ones. I killed some along the way. Still, I wasn't even close.

You can lose with the trainers if you play poorly, but I don't think you can win without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.