Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
After buying and playing The Caucasus Campaign I decided to splurge and pick Ukraine '43 up off eBay. While I haven't played yet, a reading of the rules makes this look like a keeper.

Those of you who have played TCC you will find the rules familiar, though Uk43 is about 1 notch up in complexity. Here are some things in Uk43 that are different, though it is not comprehensive.

Sequence of Play

The sequence of play is similar to TCC, but the Soviets move first instead of Germans. Well, the Russians are on the offensive after all. The sequence is supply, movement, combat, reaction, exploitation, secondary combat, end phase. This sequence is conducted by each player per turn

Mobile Assaults

There is a slight difference in mobile assault costs. In TCC it's 3 MP per assault. In Uk43 it's 2 MP + terrain cost.

ZOC Bonds

Uk43 has the concept of "ZOC Bonds". In short, units 2 hexes apart form a bond that cannot be entered normally.

Magnitude

In Uk43 you might roll more than 1 die for combat depending on the magnitude, or as I like to say, bloodiness. There are 3 levels of magnitude. You have a primary die and secondary dice depending on the magnitude of the combat.

Fortifications

Fortifications in Uk43 are much tougher than TCC. Everyone on the front line starts in a fort.

Specialized Troops

Uk43 has a tiger battalion, soviet sappers, soviet artillery, panzer corps, soviet armies, and special leaders (Zhukov and Manstein).

Air Units

Unlike TCC, air units are placed on-board, though their capabilities are similar. However, since there is no determined defense in Uk43, defensive support provides combat factors.

In addition, Uk43 adds interdiction as a possible mission.

As an aside, I can see why Mark changed to an off-map approach for air units in TCC. It looks to me like it simplified matters without altering game play.

Logistics & Supply

Logistics & supply are similar, but more detailed in Uk43, which adds rails heads and petrol shortages.

Combat

Combat is similar, though Uk43 also adds major river assaults and pontoon bridges. Don't get your units pinned against a major river without a way to cross!

There is no determined defense in Uk43.

Production

The production quality is very good. The map is a bit annoying because it's one full size map + a 1/4 sized strip that runs along the bottom. I wish they could have made it a single piece. Minor nuisance, though.

TCC uses the 5/8" counters, which I love, while Uk43 uses the standard 1/2" counters. Well, it does have more area to cover.

If you're interested in reading over the rules be sure to read the 2nd edition, which you can find at the GMT website:

http://www.gmtgames.com/t-GMTLivingRules.aspx

There is also a Vassal module, though it appears to be missing the rail heads in the historical setup.

I hope folks found this informative!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write up. I have played TCC Twice now (although one game lasted two turns) and have loved it so your comparison makes Ukraine 43 pretty tempting. I might have to grab a copy if it gets reprinted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
It's on the P500 list. Put your pre-order in today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have it (or frankly a friend have it but he could loan it to me). After i end my two TcC game i really want to try this one! Sadly this and Ardenne'44 are long far away from hit the P500 deadline for a reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbo Franz
United States
Warrenton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
One of my favorite games - ever; I've played it dozens of time ftf and dozens solitaire. I've also played it via ADC and cyberboard. I've also just purchased TCC but have not tried it yet. I have an extra copy of the game still in the wrapper from GMT circa 2000. I bought two game copies back then and put the second away. I was recently offered $200.00 for it! Imagine that. I doubt the P500 reprint will make it to production.cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbo888 wrote:
I was recently offered $200.00 for it! Imagine that. I doubt the P500 reprint will make it to production.cool

Take the money. You could buy 3 or 4 new games with that, and give someone else the opportunity to play it. No sense letting it collect dust.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.