Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attention Ottawa Games Group!!!

goo
-----------------------------------------------------------

Please thumb up thumbsupthis post to attract more gamers to our sessions.

This Week’s Session is on Wednesday February 10th.
We start around 6:30.
We usually go until 9:30 or 10:00pm.

The address is:
Canadian Legion Branch 480 - Westboro, 389 Richmond Road, upstairs
There is usually a dinner deal downstairs.
Please bring $2.00 for the Legion

MEMBERSHIP IS OPTIONAL

Membership provides discounts at local retailers through a membership card system.

There are two options:
1. $5.00 to Steve Larkin in Kanata. This entitles you to the cards
2. Prepay 3 weeks for the Legion (3 X $2.00 = $6.00). This entitles you to the cards and provides three weeks of dues to the Legion.

Recommendations are as follows:
If you are going to play at the Legion at least once, I would do the prepay.
However, if you are in the west end and do not plan to go to the Legion, I would just pay the $5.00 to Steve at the Glen.
Steve goes by srlarkin on BGG.

Just geekmail or ask at a session if you are interested in the membership discount cards.

UPCOMING EVENTS

1. Cangames Approaches!!
Be ready and catch up on your sleep for you will get none at the curling rink, er, I mean converted amphitheater of gaming!!

2. Toys on Fire (One of our sponsors) will be having a gaming session in Barrhaven.
Keep your eyes on the geek for updates.

Hope to see you all there!
goo
MrZoz

(and now on to the quiz)

St. Valentines Day Quiz

MrZoz
Poll
ALL of these events happened on February 14th.
Without using electronic searches of ANY kind, guess when these occurred.
If you are a real showoff, try to guess the year.
(Hint - only 3 happened in 1970)

Good Luck :goo:
16. Part I - ENTERTAINMENT

Meg Tilly was born?
Before 1970
After 1970
17. Enrico Colantoni, actor (“Just Shoot Me,” “Veronica Mars”, Flashpoint) is born
Before 1970
After 1970
18. Hugh Downs turned 50
Before 1970
After 1970
19. "Ben-Hur" first shown on T.V.
Before 1970
After 1970
20. The "French Lieutenant's Woman" by John Fowles becomes a New York Times Best Seller
Before 1970
After 1970
21. Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkein tops the best seller list
Before 1970
After 1970
22. First day they began running reruns of Peanuts cartoons.
Before 1970
After 1970
23. Ice-T (Law and Order SVU, Toys) is born
Before 1970
After 1970
24. Part II - HISTORY

First UFO sighting in Nome, Arkansas
Before 1970
After 1970
25. Ottawa Ontario - Ottawa announces $50 million project to extend CBC radio and television service to northern regions.
Before 1970
After 1970
26. 50th Anniversary of the Nationalized Bank of England
Before 1970
After 1970
27. Space probe Voyager 1 takes photograph of entire solar system
Before 1970
After 1970
28. Richard Nixon installs secret taping system in the white house
Before 1970
After 1970
29. Jimmy Hoffa's LAST birthday (that we know of)
Before 1970
After 1970
30. First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy takes television viewers on a tour of the White House.
Before 1970
After 1970
31. Last day of the 55th Quebec Winter Carnival
Before 1970
After 1970
32. Discovery of neon
Before 1970
After 1970
33. The last year in the 1900's that the Canadian Dollar was worth more than the US
Before 1970
After 1970
34. Salman Rushdie issued a Fatwah for publishing the book "Satanic Verses"
Before 1970
After 1970
35. The St. Valentine's Day Massacre
Before 1970
After 1970
36. Part III - Music

Aretha Franklin records "Respect"
Before 1970
After 1970
37. "A Star is Born" tops the Billboard charts
Before 1970
After 1970
38. "Crimson and Clover" Tops charts for the first time
Before 1970
After 1970
39. "Thank you" from Sly and the Family Stone tops charts
Before 1970
After 1970
40. Album "American Pie" by Don Maclean tops charts
Before 1970
After 1970
41. "One Bad Apple" by the Osmonds tops the charts
Before 1970
After 1970
42. Sex Pistols play their final gig (SF's Winterland Ballroom)
Before 1970
After 1970
43. Part IV - Sports

Oslo Norway - Canadian team attends opening of the sixth Olympic winter games.

Before 1970
After 1970
44. NASCAR celebrates 25 years
Before 1970
After 1970
45. Drew Bledsoe is Born
Before 1970
After 1970
46. Wilt Chamberlain breaks NBA career scoring record at 20,884 points
Before 1970
After 1970
47. Bobby Hull Makes Sports Illustrated Cover
Before 1970
After 1970
48. Part V - Saint Valentine's Day

Charlie Brown invents the legend that if you stand in front of a mailbox long enough you will receive a valentine.
Before 1970
After 1970
49. UPS celebrates delivering Valentine's day cards for 50 years
Before 1970
After 1970
50. First Mickey Mouse Valentine
Before 1970
After 1970
51. BONUS QUESTION - The First Valentine (Delivered to Jailer's Daughter before St. Valentine was beheaded)
Before 1970
After 1970
      3 answers
Poll created by MrZoz

Answers are as follows Just highlight the white section:

Entertainment

History

Music

Sports

Saint Valentine's Day

>>>>>> A LITTLE BIT OF BACKGROUND ON OUR GROUP

The Ottawa Games Group was founded more than ten years ago as a way for Axis and Allies players to play (and for those of us who did not know how to play at the time it was a opportunity to finally learn how to play it).

The original meeting place was at the Montana’s on Hunt Club and Bank.
However, in a twist of fate the initial turnout was so high that I ended up hosting Risk and Risk 2210 sessions alongside the Axis and Allies board. Eventually games like History of the World, Naval War, Lord of the Rings, and Settlers of Catan were brought out.

One of the notable regulars was TheRatKing (not real name, really) and his wife. They would drive about an hour all the way out to South Ottawa for two to three hours of gaming. The other notable regular was William Chappell, Owner of the now Hobby Centre on Roydon. Bill has over the years provided the group with Games like Queens Gambit and History of the World and Tannhauser.

Eventually the group became a victim of Montana’s success, so we looked for a second home and found it at Ralph’s near Heron Rd. Although great food, the location was dark and very inconvenient for many, we made a third move to Montana’s after two years and one of the worst experience-of-a-concert-while-playing-AttacK! ever.

Our third home was Broadways on Prince of Wales. This proved to be a good spot for a couple reasons; a separate section and a separate waitress. During this time we met notable local game designer / all around nice guy / bit of a nut – Martin. Martin custom designed a PitchCar race track from scratch with loop-dee-doos, split lanes, concrete barriers and criss-crosses that was about 25-30 feet long. The promise of this game was enough to bring out twenty-six people for a games night session. This is a record that still stands today. He also designed a Ticket to Ride WORLD board that was played at the CanGames con to good reviews. We also picked up Mark M. (one of something like 12 Marks who currently abound). Mark M. currently runs a guild for us Ottawa Gamers right here on BGG. You can follow his game summaries here...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/199

Also at this time TheRatKing started a group out Kanata way (Kravings). We coordinated the efforts to make sure there was a game night each week. We also used communiqués to try and cross promote the groups. This Kanata group would also hold a booth at CanGames. They also started a membership and annual tournament to raise money for a children’s gaming charity.

Eventually we had to make a move due to clashes. No details here, but there were problems on both sides.

This time things got tricky. We wanted to find a place where we could go that would not eventually drive us out if the location became a successful restaurant/bar. It took some brainstorming but eventually the General came forth with an idea to use a Legion. The original idea was to use the one at Walkley. One small problem, it had folded. So eventually we narrowed it down to the ones on Kent and the one at Westboro. Parking and driving concerns combined with the personability of the staff and the ability of us to be able to have a separate section brought us to the Legion on Westboro. But, there was still one more challenge. At the time the rule was that in order to become a member you had to have a direct relative who served. I didn’t have the background. So, after the National Department of Archives, some help from a client (thank you – you know who), and a month of waiting the General had us as guests at the Legion on Westboro.

With this location we added the membership cards and discounts from our supporters The Comic Book Shoppe, Fandom II, and Toys on Fire. The membership option still stands to this day.

At this time we picked up Dean. Another dedicated gamer who has helped with coordinating the bi-weekly event and teaching games to others. Also in that time we have had a shift in the Kanata group. The Kanata group now meets bi-weekly at the Glen and the hosting duties have been take over by Steve.

Here is a short (ahem) list of the games that have been played over the past years.
It goes like this: Axis and Allies, Risk, Risk-LOTR, Risk 2210, A&A D-Day, Lord of the Rings, Settlers of Catan, SoC-Rome, SoC-Germany, SoC-Cardgame, Starfarers of Catan, Puerto Rico, TTR, TTR-E, TTR-M, TTR-N, TTR-S, Acquire, Lord of the Rings Confrontation, Chess, Naval War, Attack!, Carassonne (and every bleepin’ expansion), City of Carcassonne, Castle Carcassonne, Carcassonne-H&G, Carcassonne Age of Discovery, Gulo Gulo, Beausack, Lunch Money, Beer Money, Family Business, Guillotine, Snowball Fight, Formula De, BattleCry, Memoir 44, BattleLore, Tide of Iron, Tannhauser, Vikings, Fire and Ice, Blood Bowl, Call of Cthulu, Arkham Horror, Betrayal at the house on the Hill, Saboteur, Risk-Queens Gambit, Chess, Checkers, Cribbage, Backgammon, Tichu, Tichu, Tichu, Tichu, Tichu, Rook, StoneAge, Keythedral, Race For the Galaxy, History of the World, Spank the Beaver, PitchCar, Shadows Over Camelot, New England, Goa, Princes of Florence, Twilight Imperium, Meuterer, Agricola, Le Havre, Railroad Tycoon, 1853, 18…a few others, Chicago Express, Rails of Europe, Entdecker, Metro, Tsuro, GIPF, Power Grid, Illuminati, Magic, On the Edge, Twilight Struggle, Dominion, Caylus, Tigris and Euphrates, Full House (custom), Brass, Princes of Florence, Battlestar Galactica, Shogun, Die Macher, UBI, RA, Imperial, Age of Empires III, Small World, Conflict of Heroes, Endeavour, Go, Pente, Wallenstein, Crokinole, Galaxy Trucker, Hammer of the Scots, Samurai, Taj Mahal, Space Alert, BattleLine, Modern Art, San Juan, Notre Dame, Age of Mythology, Ingenious, Cosmic Encounter, Blokus, Quelf, Quiddler, Mexica, Tikal, Java, Hive, Pillars of the Earth, TZARR, Citadels, Starcraft, Mr. Jack, Roborally, Reef Encounter, Cuba, ZERTZ, Through the Desert, Torres, Fury of Dracula, Werewolf, Fearsome Floors, Thurn and Taxis, Last Night on Earth, Vegas Showdown, For Sale, Modern Art, Glory to Rome, Lost Cities, Blue Moon Cities, Bang!, Louis the XIV, Bohnanza, Santiago, Medici, Tribune, Antike, Nexus Ops, Doom, Hare and Tortoise, Elfenland, Alahambra, Gardens of Alahambra, Roll through the Ages, China, Hacienda, Middle Earth Quest, Tide of Iron, MahJongg, Titan, Hey That’s My Fish, Dungeon Twister, Merchant of Amsterdam, Monopoly Deal, El Grande, King of the Elves, Sunken City, Munchkin (and other Munchkin add ons), Killer Bunnies, Cosmic Encounter, Samurai Swords, Doom, Wings of War, Stratego, Cribbage, Traders of Carthage ...

If you played a game that I did not put in this list, let me know.
I will update for next post.

-------------------------------------

If you have any questions please geekmail me or post 'em here.

Hope to see you at the next session.
goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Leveille
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ottawa Games Group -- Wednesday February 8th, 2010 - Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, Titan, Goa, Cuba, Race for the Galaxy, Tichu, Ticket to Ride, Tide of Iron (and Valentines Day Quiz).
Wednesday Feb 8???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ottawa Games Group -- Wednesday February 8th, 2010 - Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, Titan, Goa, Cuba, Race for the Galaxy, Tichu, Ticket to Ride, Tide of Iron (and Valentines Day Quiz).
I look forward to seeing you all there. I may bring a friend if I can find one...
Who all is going to CanGames? Do we have any official involvement with CanGames?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
does anyone have the details about CanGames this year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelonius wrote:
Wednesday Feb 8???

(Sorry, that was in St.Catherine's Time)
Date has been corrected.
goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Adamson
Canada
Barrhaven
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey everybody, I'm looking for some help here.

I recently picked-up both Twilight Struggle and Tigris and Euphrates. I've read through the rules for both, but I'm hoping someone out there might be familiar with either of those titles, and would be willing to teach me at the Legion this Wednesday.

Again, if there are any boardgame scholars here Let me know.

Emil? I know you're familiar with TS, would you be up for a game Wednesday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Leduc
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm a noob to boardgaming, but I'm keen to come out and join you all this Wednesday (aka tomorrow).

Is there anything I should bring besides myself? Anything I should know besides the address and start time (which I have)?

Cheers,
Al

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Don't wear a hat inside the Legion.
Don't bring in outside food or drink.
Bring $2 as Legion guest fees (MarkL or a member of his posse will collect toonies at some point in the early-ish evening).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Leduc
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Don't wear a hat inside the Legion.
Don't bring in outside food or drink.
Bring $2 as Legion guest fees (MarkL or a member of his posse will collect toonies at some point in the early-ish evening).

Good tips. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Peter,

I'm sorry I did not read your post in time... I would have loved to play TS yesterday (much more than getting my poor sailors eaten by sharks)

Next time?

Cheers,

Emil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.