Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Sauder
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any recommendations for other cards game of that caliber that are not a CCG?

I've tried Call of Cthulhu, and a Warhammer based card game as well (the name escapes me ATM) Anyone know of any others that might fit the bill?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy, while not really like Magic, has a high appeal to those who may have liked Magic. Make sure that you play AT LEAST THREE games before making ANY opinion on it however, the first game you may feel completely lost, the second game you may still feel lost but start to grasp it, and the third game seems to be when people typically "get" it and everything starts to click.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
It depends by what you loved in Magic. It is possible to play Magic with extremely limited budget, if you do not want to be competitive in tournaments.
If you miss Magic, play Magic!

A few games you may like to check (apart other CCGs or LCGs): Dominion (sort of LCG, still going on and expansions are already planned for the next years), Race for the Galaxy (supposedly concluded after two small expansions), Blue Moon (supposedly concluded after a few expansions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I am also a big MtG big fan. Although I really love Race for the Galaxy, I can tell you that it scratches a different itch. So far, I am more than satisfied with Thunderstone. Try it, it's awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Why do you dislike ccgs? The costs? There are lots of great ways to play them without addiction to constantly buying cards. You can check some of the highly thumbed great posts on the Magic forums for some great ideas in that department.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
It depends by what you loved in Magic. It is possible to play Magic with extremely limited budget, if you do not want to be competitive in tournaments.
If you miss Magic, play Magic!

Magic, and the CGG format, can be way too expensive if you really want to have a good deck. For example, if you go to a FLGS where they play it and you don't want to get your butt kicked, you need to buy the "good" cards. Moreover, some people won't even accept playing with you if you don't have type 2 decks. For me, the fun of playing magic relies in the deck building AND the fact that I can play against new decks and strangers.

Luke the Flaming wrote:
A few games you may like to check (apart other CCGs or LCGs): Dominion (sort of LCG, still going on and expansions are already planned for the next years), Race for the Galaxy (supposedly concluded after two small expansions), Blue Moon (supposedly concluded after a few expansions).

Personally, Dominion was a great disappointment. It does not have the theme and confrontation you get in MtG. And by the way, there is a new upcoming expansion for Race for the Galaxy, Race for the Galaxy: The Brink of War, and many others to come afterward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Josefsson
Sweden
Lund
Skane
flag msg tools
Badges? We don' need no stinkin' badges!
badge
Blue Moon is a pretty CCG:ish card game with a whole slew of decks and options for customization.
Catan Card Game (to be rereleased and revamped this year) has a ccg:ish feel to it. Especially when you add the expaions.
Fairy Tale is a quick filler based around the booster draft.
Dominion will of course be mentioned as the deck building game du jour.
Thunderstone is the first "child of Dominion", utilizing same core mechanic, but in a dungeon crawl setting.
Race for the Galaxy also has a certain ccg:ish feel to it. Please note however that the level of player interaction and confrontational play is not very high in either Thunderstone, Dominion or Race for the Galaxy.
War for Edaðh is supposedly a very good card based war game.
Battle Line is a very abstract two player game, but it very well captures the tension of the head to head duel.

If you miss MtG because you miss toying with a lot of cards with cool effects and such I'd recommend pretty much any of FFG:s bigger games - Middle Earth Quest, Arkham Horror, Descent, Runebound, Chaos in the Old World et al.

or

you can buy a playset of commons and uncommons of some fun block for cheap and use these for friendly draft.

Hope you find your substitute. And let us know.

BR

Andreas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you miss it? I still play MTG and I haven't bought a new card for it in years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Jarosz
Poland
Wrocław
lower silesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
try monopoly deal card game, don't be afraid cause its monopoly its cheap and have a lot of table control from M:TG, but still it won't be magic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
My avatar is from the chilren's game Monster Mash
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Blue Moon, Race For The Galaxy or Dominon (Thunderstone).

Also consider 1936: Guerra Civil.

And I'll suggest you check out this great geeklist or this other one.

I'll add to that none of these games actually look alike so it really depends what you liked about M:tG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Andreas' suggestions were good, as are the geeklists. also, here's an article I wrote on the subject: http://twinfu.com/Board/Articles/Board%20Game%20Rewind.aspx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a controlled MTG fan, I HIGHLY recommend Race for the Galaxy times a million. It's like MTG but better: more players, contained, strategic decision making and fast.

The joy of the game I feel is making risky decisions and getting the rewards as well as finding the puzzle pieces. You know how in Magic, once you get a few cards that work together you are pretty set? Well in Race, it's just like that. Certain cards might produce lots of resources. Other cards might take resources and convert it into points or more cards. When those click, it's really fun. And that's just the bottom of it... you can go with military, goods, aliens, developments... yea it's a real deep pile.

I bought Blue Moon and I didn't like it... It felt more akin to Poker or Big Two and winning a "trick" 3 times consecutively.

I also bought Fairy Tale. Although you do draft, that's all it is. Draft and result. There's no game to be had like in MTG where you then PLAY your drafted cards in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
Elemental Clash - similar feeling to MtG, couple of new and interesting mechanisms, but free to print and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Daigle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warhammer one you mentioned is : Warhammer: Invasion

Did you not like it? That is the one that immediately came to mind.

A few months ago I was "sucked" into the MtG world. I am really enjoying it, but I can see the possibility for it to get out of control. That being said, if you enjoy the game, (I know I do) there are ways to play cheap. Pauper, EDH, PreCons, etc. As long as you have some people that enjoy the game..and not the card race, then it is definitely a possibility to keep playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dicorato
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Makelith wrote:
Any recommendations for other cards game of that caliber that are not a CCG?

I've tried Call of Cthulhu, and a Warhammer based card game as well (the name escapes me ATM) Anyone know of any others that might fit the bill?

Thanks.

Warhammer: Invasion is what you're referring to.

This game, to me, is very very similar to Magic in so many aspects, but has it's fair share of differences so that the game doesn't feel like a complete copy of it. Here's my review on the game. Maybe that'll help you see if it's for you. If you've not played enough games, you may not have caught the similarities.

That aside, are you wanting to play Magic casually? It sounds that way to me. You can certainly play it in many different ways casually. I would recommend looking up Elder Dragon Highlander format (a new emerging casual format aimed at multiplayer games) as well as building a "cube". I have a cube built that has no rares in it, so it's pretty cheap, but even some uncommons can get expensive. You can omit those and make your own cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Jarosz
Poland
Wrocław
lower silesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indeed, elemental clash is very similar to MTG, especially with rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plysbjorn wrote:
Blue Moon is a pretty CCG:ish card game with a whole slew of decks and options for customization.

Played on computer. Gaaah. This is an insult to MtG and every CCG ever made. It's not Knizia's elegant take on CCG, it's Kniza reworking of War. robot
I was amused at first, deleted the program after one week. It's just not going anywhere, you either stay on the level of war or must move on the level of Go, which is just... demeaning.
plysbjorn wrote:

I have an European edition, which while nicer looking, suffers from a bad case of iconitis. Well, not so bad a RFTG, but while RFTS is a middle weight game and 2-3 days learning and memorising all the cards and icons actually pays off, at least it did for us, european version of Fairytale takes 30-40 minutes to explain while the game takes 15 minutes and beside draft has no meaningful interaction whatsoever.
Definetely pass this one.
plysbjorn wrote:

Some former MtG players swear by this. And while I played in several seal deck tournaments, this game (tried on BSW) is just counterintuitive to me, deck shuffling and deck engine building is not what I played MtG for (and I had several combo decks, mind you). It's just as dry as it gets.
So your mileage may vary. Do try the game on BSW.
plysbjorn wrote:
Race for the Galaxy also has a certain ccg:ish feel to it. Please note however that the level of player interaction and confrontational play is not very high in either Thunderstone, Dominion or Race for the Galaxy.

This somehow works for me as the best MtG replacement and this is mostly because in RFTG there are 80 different cards, half of them single a copy, half of them in 2 copies which makes the game about adapting to your draw and trying different tactics and combination of tactics. Yes it is MPS, but it works because for half an hour you are immersed in trying to figure out on which of the n plausible of N possible combinations of cards to focus your strategy upon.

Another recomendation (haven't played but my FLGS staff like it): Warhammer: Invasion

Also Jambo is basically a light non-agresive MtG (it actually has permanents, instants, interrupts). It's not nearly as immersive or complex, but as "girfriend/spouse" friendly game it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Andersson
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like MTG, then you should try out The Spoils

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars is a great game with some definate similarieties to MtG. Soon there will be new reinforcement expansions which will allow you some of the deck building elements you so enjoy as well. I highly recommend you check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
plysbjorn wrote:

Played on computer. Gaaah. This is an insult to MtG and every CCG ever made. It's not Knizia's elegant take on CCG, it's Kniza reworking of War. robot
I was amused at first, deleted the program after one week. It's just not going anywhere, you either stay on the level of war or must move on the level of Go, which is just... demeaning.
plysbjorn wrote:

I have an European edition, which while nicer looking, suffers from a bad case of iconitis. Well, not so bad a RFTG, but while RFTS is a middle weight game and 2-3 days learning and memorising all the cards and icons actually pays off, at least it did for us, european version of Fairytale takes 30-40 minutes to explain while the game takes 15 minutes and beside draft has no meaningful interaction whatsoever.
Definetely pass this one.
plysbjorn wrote:

Some former MtG players swear by this. And while I played in several seal deck tournaments, this game (tried on BSW) is just counterintuitive to me, deck shuffling and deck engine building is not what I played MtG for (and I had several combo decks, mind you). It's just as dry as it gets.
So your mileage may vary. Do try the game on BSW.
plysbjorn wrote:

This somehow works for me as the best MtG replacement and this is mostly because in RFTG there are 80 different cards, half of them single a copy, half of them in 2 copies which makes the game about adapting to your draw and trying different tactics and combination of tactics. Yes it is MPS, but it works because for half an hour you are immersed in trying to figure out on which of the n plausible of N possible combinations of cards to focus your strategy upon.

Another recomendation (haven't played but my FLGS staff like it): Warhammer: Invasion

Also Jambo is basically a light non-agresive MtG (it actually has permanents, instants, interrupts). It's not nearly as immersive or complex, but as "girfriend/spouse" friendly game it works.

yikes, where to start... War involves no decisions, whereas blue moon's wins and losses are entirely based on decisions. It is definitely a tricktaking game, and as such didn't grab my fancy either, but it has meaningful deckbuilding and in-game decisions.

I don't understand how Fairy Tale can take 30 minutes to explain- Agricola explains in less. and the "no interaction outside of the draft" is silly- the draft IS the game, and the interaction is interesting and meaningful there. That's like saying there's no interaction in Bohnanza outside the trading- the trading IS the game.

and then you jump on dominion for deck building and making an efficiency engine?

so you don't like one game because you make in-game decisions, you don't like the next because you don't like drafting, and you don't like the 3rd because you don't like deck building/efficient card choices? then you tout the most MPS one as the best M:TG replacement? dude, I don't think you liked M:TG to begin with

(for the record, i don't view MPS as necessarily a negative, but i also certainly don't view it as an M:TG trait)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
truekid wrote:
yikes, where to start... War involves no decisions, whereas blue moon's wins and losses are entirely based on decisions. It is definitely a tricktaking game, and as such didn't grab my fancy either, but it has meaningful deckbuilding and in-game decisions.
Somewhat, yes. Still, it war with a hand and stacking. I played against AI (still lost more than half games, mind you) which is probably the reason behind my criticism, so i can't comment on deck building. if felt samey, crude and the so-called deepness required more effort to reach than I was willing to put into. Plus around 30% of mathces were decided on the deck being depleted and here I felt the decks were not evenly matched. More or less it felt this deck will lose against that deck and so forth.

I do recommend anybody interested to try the computer version.

truekid wrote:
I don't understand how Fairy Tale can take 30 minutes to explain- Agricola explains in less. and the "no interaction outside of the draft" is silly- the draft IS the game, and the interaction is interesting and meaningful there.

a) I have european version which suffers from iconitis. It does take that much to explain as you must explain icons on every card. They're pretty but sometimes I have to look at the explanations. Eurpean version however does look nicer than Z-Man's to me, so... I don't know, let's go to the next point.
b) The game is basically about card combinations/ set collecting. It must be some cultural thing as passing the cards is not exactly what passes as interaction where I live (yawn) and doubleguessing would be fun if there you would actually care about set collecting. In MtG you developed your stategy for game during drafting. So draft was a part of the game, but the game was PvP battle.

truekid wrote:
That's like saying there's no interaction in Bohnanza outside the trading- the trading IS the game.
Must play it soon and then I can comment.
The thing is however in FT drafting is not the game, it's set collecting. This is a kind of rummy with draft. More combinations, but not really more complex. The problem if I get to the core of this is that I had high hopes for this but the basic slovenian card game (Tarock) which is a standard around here has 500% more interaction and doubleguessing. Actually the core gamers kinda liked it, but it's too fluffy, with nongamers this just bombed.

truekid wrote:
and then you jump on dominion for deck building and making an efficiency engine?
Yes?
is there a problem officer?

In Dominion you build deck to bulid deck. In MtG you build deck to support your strategy. I once made the finals in sealed deck tournament by having only 2 colour deck (almost everybody had a splash of third) though everybody said I had lousy cards - it was a fast aggressive (red black) deck. I diss Dominion mainly because it's counter-intuitive to me and I suggest to anybody interested to try it on BSW.

truekid wrote:
so you don't like one game because you make in-game decisions, you don't like the next because you don't like drafting, and you don't like the 3rd because you don't like deck building/efficient card choices? then you tout the most MPS one as the best M:TG replacement?

I don't like one game because there are no in-game decision I find worth making, I diss the second because in it I find no interesting in-game decisions and diss the third because I don't find any interesting in it and I like the forth one because I love the vast variety of in-game decisions I feel it offers me.
ymmv, of course.

truekid wrote:
dude, I don't think you liked M:TG to begin with (for the record, i don't view MPS as necessarily a negative, but i also certainly don't view it as an M:TG trait)
I mostly played limited format (mostly sealed deck, some draft) so I was not that type of MtG pl.ayer which calculates the odds of how many land, how much 2 mana critters, 3 mana critters etc. to put in a finely balanced deck. I like the vast variety of MtG and the possibility of cool card combinations (and here RFTG delivers for me). Another thing about limited formant - you build your deck from what you are given around certain idea of gameplay, strategy and gaming style you're going after. (aggro, defence, fast, control-ish,...). Dominion (also Fairy Tale, Blue Moon) feel to me like fine machines without any content. At least content I would care about. But of course this is my point of view. As former MtG player it depends on what part of the game you liked.

EDIT: To more "mainstream" MtG players I would again suggest to check Warhammer Invasion (Haven't played).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Hiwiller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of all the former MTG players I know, 100% enjoy Dominion, and only I can stomach RftG, so mileage may vary compared to what I'm hearing in the forum so far.

I would not recommend Dominion on BSW to try it out as they don't have all the cards, the interface stinks and it loses something when you aren't actually at the table.

RftG, I think plays more representative on the PC with the AI version on its game page. Player interaction is more minimal in RftG, limited to the game end condition and hoping that an opponent picks a role you want to leech off of / doesn't pick a role that forces you to lose goods when you don't want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauder
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I miss most about MTG was the deck building/tweaking, and the cards I used to own. I miss the game, but I'm glad to be done with the "greed" associated with the game (sold all my cards). I missed putting cards in a deck that worked well together (theme). I missed the competition as well, nothing like beating someone that thought they had an unbeatable deck. I loved that the timing in the game was explained in black and white, and the cards were mostly balanced. (the ones that weren't are worth more devil ) I guess I'm looking for a card game like MTG that I can experience ALL the cards without paying ALL the money.

Warhammer:Invasion I liked the use of the boards and putting cards in different areas for different effects. Also found there was a lot of good cards you could combine. I've only tried it once, and I liked it, but my friend owns it so I don't need to own it too (Ditto for Call of Cthulu).

Dominion, and RFTG I own, and enjoy, but they don't quite scratch the MTG itch.

Thank you all for the other suggestions, lots to research. Might be worth buying some MTG cards again, but I know all to well how addictive that can get.

.... hmm... (looks at his collection).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.