Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like an amazing game! Is there anyway to play this solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John

Washington
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your question, no, and yes. The game was not intended for solo play, but since the zombie mechanics are not human driven the game can be adapted for solo play. (And was played solo during the initial play testing, but no rules are included in the rule book). To play solo you can typically just play the leader of two or three of the territories on the map and follow the rules for a two or three player game. The difficulty comes in with the zombie mechanics. When playing solo their is usually complete cooperation between the territories where in a real game there is inevitably some competition depending on where players are trying to make a stand within their territory and where outbreaks are occurring. Thus the difficulty must sometimes be increased slightly to accommodate this "global cooperation effort". Rules for increasing and decreasing the difficulty of the game are included in the rule book. Our most important rule, as always, is to enjoy the game and have fun. Any way you choose to adapt the game is OK with us as long as the changes enhance your gaming experience. Have fun and keep us informed of how it goes!

Great question,
Your zombified staff at Zombie State Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished reading the rules last night and was surprised and even more interested before I started. I thought it was going to be a Risk variant with zombies but seems the game is all about controlling your area's zombie population and not fighting it out on the borders of the other players. Interesting game. Considering it appears zombie control is extremely difficult, I can imagine not having to worry about rival players killing my units too is nice. Though in some ways the game feels abit like multiplayer solitaire. Not that I'm against that, I don't mind games like that but not sure if there's much interaction between players. At least I didn't feel it from the manual reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Côté
Canada
montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After i have read the rule. I pre-order this game. Look like very cool.
I send message to compagnie because on the site it was righted 2-5 players and on the rulebook you can download it was righted 1-5 player.
In fact (like descibe above) it seem not complicated to do some solo play.
I dont know why compagnie dont right 1-5 players. In my opinion it a plus for the game and you can touche more public.
Just add in the rule someting like: For solo play just use two role...thats it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for such a detailed (and quick!) answer Timberwolf

I'm going to have a serious think about ordering this, because it does look amazing!

Thanks again,

Rich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've just reread the rules and given in and ordered the game ! laugh

I really can't wait to get this and start trying out the different technologies and game tactics !

One thing I'm already wondering is if, when playing solo, I should play as one region, or more? I may well end up trying both options, but I was wondering what the recommendation for this is?

Cheers!

[edit: just reread Timberwolf's original reply above which answers this question - doh!]

[additonal edit: I'll obviously have to wait and see how the game plays, but I'm thinking of something along the lines of play one region: get that cleared and your technologies developed... and then try and clear the other regions - which will have loads of zombies by that point... maybe a variant of the 'until the bitter end' epic game...]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wardle
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've pre-ordered too. Can't wait to get hold of this one. Might see if I can adapt the solo game to make it seem more like the "world war z" novel. If I get anywhere with that I'll post it up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.