7 Posts

Macao» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few Person/Building card questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Schlimgen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noble: For each 2 GC you give to the bank, take any 1 AC.

Should this be interpreted (a) "Every time you give 2 GC to the bank, for any reason, take 1 AC of any color" or (b) "As many times as you wish, you may pay 2 GC to the bank and take 1 AC of any color"?

Prospector: For each 3 of any AC you return to the general supply, take 1 GC.

Same question as the Noble (with the obvious replacements of terminology).

Count: You pay 4 GC instead of the required AC wherever you activate a card.

Is this really mandatory? Or should it be "You may pay..."? And obviously "whenever" instead of "wherever".

Artisan: You need not return the AC to activate one card, but you must have the necessary AC in your action cube supply.

Is this once per game ("one" is emphasized) or one card per turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe, these answers are based purely on common sense, not on any knowledge of the designer's or publisher's thinking, but this is how I play and I feel quite confident I'm playing correctly.

Noble: The correct answer is (b). You can pay two gold to the bank to take a cube of any color. The gold can't be used for any other purpose. You can do this as many times on your turn as you like.

Prospector: Same answer as for the Noble.

Count: I don't see how it can be mandatory, because you never have to activate a card. So I could always use cubes to buy whatever cards I wanted, then activate the Count and use gold to buy the rest. It's just simpler to say that the power isn't mandatory and to use whichever method you want for each card.

Artisan: All the card powers can be activated once per turn, so I don't see why this one should be any different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Schlimgen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Those interpretations are the way I'd play too. But I wanted to know if my sense was indeed common.

For the Noble and Prospector, I would think they would specifically mention "in addition" if they gave bonuses.

As far as the Count, he's very similar to the Herald, which is specifically optional and no other (non-end-game-scoring) card is mandatory.

The Artisan had me wondering because I thought it might be over powered if it was one card per turn (I haven't played yet). I figured it would probably say "once per game" if that were the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Hurzonfist,

For my own clarification, in your comments on the count and artisan cards, when you use the word "activate" or "activated" do you in fact mean "use" or "used"? In the rules, "activate" seems to the payment the player makes to make a card available to "use"?

I know it sounds pedantic, but help needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Fuerst-Brunner
Germany
Neuching
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry may have overlooked this thread, so for your clarification:

you guessed right, as yu activate each card only once, paying its action cube cost from your supply and then you can use each card once each turn!

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McElhaney
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game and I had the artisan. We played it that it could be used only once for the game after some discussion. I lost by just 1 point, but probably would have easily won if we interpreted the card as once per round. I would love to hear an official ruling on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the card only worked once during the entire game, it would have been stated upon the card AND in the rules.

The rules clearly state that each card may only be used once per turn unless it belongs to the few cards that may be used more than once.

And if you are able to use the card so effectively that it would be a game breaker, your fellow players should learn how to play interactively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.