Richard III: The Wars of the Roses» Forums » General

Subject: A few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Ludwig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi folks, I have a few questions you might be able to answer :-)

1. Mulligan: say one player announces that he's got a Mulligan and he wants to reshuffle his hand to get new cards. His opponent also wants to reshuffle his hand - does that count as his one change of card hand per campiagn or could he announce a Mulligan himself now, which would mean he could change his hand twice?

2. When a player brings reserves to a battle are the reserve blocks revealed when they cross the border to a battle area? Or are they only revealed when they actually start fighting? The latter option seems to make more sense because it allows to keep the fog of war aspect, but we are not sure if that's actually what the designer had in mind for the blocks in a battle zone. One could also argue that Reserves are in a closer area, so information about enemy troops is available to the opponent.

3. Specific Shields: Lancaster has three specific shields on the map. Only one of these shields are marked with a white border. How can the other specific shields be recognized or has the white border nothing to do with the specific shield function?

Thanks,

Andreas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one has answered these yet. I'll give them a try, although I've only played the game once, so I'm certainly no expert.

Andreas Ludwig wrote:

1. Mulligan: say one player announces that he's got a Mulligan and he wants to reshuffle his hand to get new cards. His opponent also wants to reshuffle his hand - does that count as his one change of card hand per campiagn or could he announce a Mulligan himself now, which would mean he could change his hand twice?

I read 5.1 "The opponent may choose to keep his own cards or not." as he can have a "free" redraw for his hand when the other player calls for a Mulligan. So, he could receive a bad redraw and then call for his own Mulligan right after his opponent (at which point in time the first Mulligan caller could receive a free redraw).

Andreas Ludwig wrote:

2. When a player brings reserves to a battle are the reserve blocks revealed when they cross the border to a battle area? Or are they only revealed when they actually start fighting? The latter option seems to make more sense because it allows to keep the fog of war aspect, but we are not sure if that's actually what the designer had in mind for the blocks in a battle zone. One could also argue that Reserves are in a closer area, so information about enemy troops is available to the opponent.

In 6.1, I read "Reveal blocks in that battle by tipping them forward..." to mean that ALL blocks in the battle are revealed. I don't see any mention of revealing the reserve blocks in Round 2, so I think all blocks are immediately revealed. But I could see how others might rule differently...

Andreas Ludwig wrote:

3. Specific Shields: Lancaster has three specific shields on the map. Only one of these shields are marked with a white border. How can the other specific shields be recognized or has the white border nothing to do with the specific shield function?

The Lancaster shield with the white border (in Dorset) is specific to the 4th Heir - Somerset. See the fourth paragraph of 2.2 in the rules. There are actually Five Lancaster shields on the map, three of them are for specific Armies.

Hope that helps,
Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chee wrote:

In 6.1, I read "Reveal blocks in that battle by tipping them forward..." to mean that ALL blocks in the battle are revealed. I don't see any mention of revealing the reserve blocks in Round 2, so I think all blocks are immediately revealed. But I could see how others might rule differently...

One of the unfortunate issues with Columbia Games is that their rules writers generally assume that players have played other block games in the CG line, and so the rulebooks don't necessarily spell out everything in full detail - as they should.

In all other Columbia block games, reserve blocks aren't revealed until they actually enter battle (round 2), so it's a safe bet that Richard III follows the same pattern.

[Edit: This has been confirmed in another thread.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.