Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had my first game yesterday & several questions:-

1 - I had real trouble getting enough units as the Invader on the board as we thought Minor/Major dispatch allowed you to move 5/7 units in total. However, having just looked at some threads, it seems to be that you can move 5 or 7 units PER rampart, forecourt & the camp?

2 - is the Barbican considered a rampart for the purpose Marksmen Blessing? We played not as it seemed far-fetched to think that marksmen on the furthest side of the stronghold would be able to aim & fire that far! Plus, we were unsure since Barbican is in the middle of the board.

3 - Altar; does this cost 1 troll/2 orcs or 1 orc/2 goblin? The card & rulebook differ on this.

4 - battering ram; depending on how many manned sections of the ram there is at the Barbican seciton of the assault, you move the gate toughness down that many spaces (I assume with an hourglass token to mark progress) ???

5 - at the end of the turn, it says all tiles which expire are removed. Which ones are removed exactly? I can see Rituals come off accoridng to the rules, but nothing else is mentioned.

6 - is there any way for the Invader to remove traps and/or cauldrons? Or do they come off each turn?

7 - Glorious Deeds; can they be awarded to the Invader in each turn, as long as the conditions are met? Or do they only get awarded a maximum of once per game?

8 - we had a question about a particular path; in the corner of board near the Workshop, there is a path apparently connected to another path. If a ballista or another ranged weapon is placed here can it aim at the wall section connected by these two paths? All other paths from ramparts connect directly to wall sections, so we're unsure about this one.

Thanks,

Matt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Simon
United States
Ashley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
Had my first game yesterday & several questions:-

1 - I had real trouble getting enough units as the Invader on the board as we thought Minor/Major dispatch allowed you to move 5/7 units in total. However, having just looked at some threads, it seems to be that you can move 5 or 7 units PER rampart, forecourt & the camp?

2 - is the Barbican considered a rampart for the purpose Marksmen Blessing? We played not as it seemed far-fetched to think that marksmen on the furthest side of the stronghold would be able to aim & fire that far! Plus, we were unsure since Barbican is in the middle of the board.

3 - Altar; does this cost 1 troll/2 orcs or 1 orc/2 goblin? The card & rulebook differ on this.

4 - battering ram; depending on how many manned sections of the ram there is at the Barbican seciton of the assault, you move the gate toughness down that many spaces (I assume with an hourglass token to mark progress) ???

5 - at the end of the turn, it says all tiles which expire are removed. Which ones are removed exactly? I can see Rituals come off accoridng to the rules, but nothing else is mentioned.

6 - is there any way for the Invader to remove traps and/or cauldrons? Or do they come off each turn?

7 - Glorious Deeds; can they be awarded to the Invader in each turn, as long as the conditions are met? Or do they only get awarded a maximum of once per game?

8 - we had a question about a particular path; in the corner of board near the Workshop, there is a path apparently connected to another path. If a ballista or another ranged weapon is placed here can it aim at the wall section connected by these two paths? All other paths from ramparts connect directly to wall sections, so we're unsure about this one.

Thanks,

Matt...

1. You can move 7 or 5 from each Rampart and from each Foreground. You can also move in 7 of 5 units into each foreground and the barbican from your camp. Also, another thing to consider is that you can take both Dispatch orders on a Turn.

For example, at Phase 6 as the Invader lets say that I have 16 units. I haven't spent any of my units and I've flipped my Phase 1 card to get more units in lieu of wood. So at Phase 6, I have 16 units. I decide to take a Major Dispatch first. I can move 7 units into the East Foreground from my Camp and 7 units to the West Foreground from my Camp. This leaves me with 2 units back in my camp. However, I then decide to take a second dispatch action and perform the Minor Dispatch action. I can move 5 units out of each Foreground. On the East Foreground, I move 3 units to the nearest Rampart and move 2 units to the Rampart next to it (moving 5 units out total). This leaves 2 units remaining on the East Foreground. On the West Foreground, I move 2 units to nearest Rampart, 1 unit to the next nearest Rampart and 2 units to the other Rampart (moving a total of 5 units from that foreground). This leaves 2 units back in the West Foreground as well. I can then move the 2 units left back in my Camp to either Foreground or split them and put one in each. I decide to put both units left in my camp after the first dispatch into my East Foreground (so now there are 4 units there).

2. No, it can only fire at a Rampart. Besides, it's hard enough to score any points as is with the battering ram. No need to make it even more difficult.

3. The card is correct. 1 orc and 2 goblins.

4. That is correct. You can mark it with an hourglass or a wooden cube or whatever you wish. Martin Wallace's last couple of games came with extra bit, so I stole one of those for the marker. And take note that damage carries over to the next gate. So if Gate #1 has 2 strength left and the Invader does 4 damage, the extra 2 damage carried over and is inflicted on Gate #2. But don't let that distract you and make you think that the battering rams are a good means of victory.

5. Rituals, Altar markers for which wall section has the bonus that round, Unearthly Glare, Marksman's Blessing and Orders are the only ones that expire that I can think of off hand.

6. Traps are permanent. Bridges cannot be built over an existing trap, but needs to be placed preemptively before one is laid. Cauldrons are not removed after each use. However, a cauldron can be destroyed. If a wall section has had all of its wall components destroyed (either by Orc Detonation, catapult or trebuchet), then if a catapult or trebuchet is fired at that section again and hits, they can destroy a cauldron at that wall section or destroy a pole or cannon on a tower adjacent to that wall section.

7. Just once per deed.

8. No, the Rampart that you are talking about only can hit one wall section. The other path connects to the other Rampart. That also means it takes longer to move to those wall sections nearest the Workshop and Cathedral as well: 1 move to the Foreground, 1 move to the Rampart, 1 move to the NEXT Rampart, then 1 move to the wall sections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thinwhiteduke wrote:
tonksey wrote:

1. You can move 7 or 5 from each Rampart and from each Foreground. You can also move in 7 of 5 units into each foreground and the barbican from your camp. Also, another thing to consider is that you can take both Dispatch orders on a Turn.

For example, at Phase 6 as the Invader lets say that I have 16 units. I haven't spent any of my units and I've flipped my Phase 1 card to get more units in lieu of wood. So at Phase 6, I have 16 units. I decide to take a Major Dispatch first. I can move 7 units into the East Foreground from my Camp and 7 units to the West Foreground from my Camp. This leaves me with 2 units back in my camp. However, I then decide to take a second dispatch action and perform the Minor Dispatch action. I can move 5 units out of each Foreground. On the East Foreground, I move 3 units to the nearest Rampart and move 2 units to the Rampart next to it (moving 5 units out total). This leaves 2 units remaining on the East Foreground. On the West Foreground, I move 2 units to nearest Rampart, 1 unit to the next nearest Rampart and 2 units to the other Rampart (moving a total of 5 units from that foreground). This leaves 2 units back in the West Foreground as well. I can then move the 2 units left back in my Camp to either Foreground or split them and put one in each. I decide to put both units left in my camp after the first dispatch into my East Foreground (so now there are 4 units there).

Hi Charles,

Thanks for those answers helps a lot. I have a question about your example for Dispatches though. I was under the impression from the rules & FAQ that you first move units in this order:-

1 - Ramparts to Wall sections
2 - Foregrounds to Ramparts
3 - Camp to Foregrounds

However, you seem to be stating it in the opposite order? I'd appreciate some pointing to the official order.

Thanks,

Matt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Simon
United States
Ashley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the order of movement is Ramparts to Wall, Foregrounds to Ramparts and then Camp to Foregrounds (however, the example in the rulebook does show them in the opposite order).

My example was as if there were no other units on the board from the time of the first dispatch. So on the first dispatch (the Major Dispatch / 7 units), had no units out and moved 7 to each Foreground. I complete the entire dispatch in order, THEN move onto the second dispatch. So at the time of the second dispatch (the Minor Dispatch / 5 units), I start from the Ramparts, but have no units there. Then I move units from my Foregrounds out to the Ramparts, then I move my remaining units in my camp into my Foregrounds.

So you are correct about the order, but when taking 2 Dispatch Actions you finish on action fully, then move to the next.

So if I take the Major Dispatch, then the Minor Dispatch it looks like this:

Major Dispatch:
1. Move up to 7 units from each Rampart to the Wall Sections
2. Move up to 7 units from each Foreground to the Ramparts
3. Move up to 7 units from Camp into each Foreground and/or Barbican.

Once all of those are resolve, I take my Minor Dispatch order and it looks like this:

Minor Dispatch:
1. Move up to 5 units from each Rampart to the Wall Sections
2. Move up to 5 units from each Foreground to the Ramparts
3. Move up to 5 units from Camp into each Foreground and/or Barbican.

At the end of this, I have given the Defender 5 Hourglasses for the Major Dispatch and 3 Hourglasses for the Minor Dispatch, giving him a total of 8 Hourglasses.

Hope that helps. The Dispatch is one of the less clearly described rules in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Bronkowski
Poland
Krakow
Malopolska
flag msg tools
mb
tonksey wrote:
thinwhiteduke wrote:
tonksey wrote:

Hi Charles,

Thanks for those answers helps a lot. I have a question about your example for Dispatches though. I was under the impression from the rules & FAQ that you first move units in this order:-

1 - Ramparts to Wall sections
2 - Foregrounds to Ramparts
3 - Camp to Foregrounds

However, you seem to be stating it in the opposite order? I'd appreciate some pointing to the official order.

Thanks,

Matt...

The order you posted is correct... so is the example :-)
Read it carefully. Before first dispath there are only 16 units in camp that is why he move units from camp. Then uses a secound dispath and moves units from foregorunds, and then units from camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes... I see now. I misread the example given by Charles.

No wonder I had such a hard time as the Invader in my first game; we thought it was only 5 or 7 unit in TOTAL for a Minor or Major dispatch, not per rampart/forecourt blush !!!

Thanks for the answers, much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.