Popular Tags: [View All]
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received some email from Barbara, c/o w. nostheide verlag gmbh, who produced the German Spielbox magazine, and she says they have decided to produce an English version of their magazine for sure, beginning with issue no. 1/2010 in February. She also wrote back to say that "Of course the magazine will be translated by a native speaker!" And that the yearly subscription will cost 56.00 Euros for 7 issues sent to an overseas address.

She also says to note that the English version will be available about two weeks after each German edition. You'll find the full subscription ordering details here for the English version of this great gaming magazine.

One thing she did not mention was whether the game expansions that typically come with the magazine will be produced in English too, but I'm sure that information will be forthcoming soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be of use to some too...

Barbara Nostheide wrote:
Subscribers who already get the German version of course can change to the English version. In this case please just write me an email (barbara@nostheide.de).

Subscribers overseas who already payed 60.85 Euro for there subscription will get one issue more because the price for the English spielbox is only 56.00 Euro now. Shipping costs depend on the weight and quantity, so we can sale the subscription cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I guess my e-mail will be inbound shortly. I wonder if they will allow a subscription conversion from German to English editions.

Edit - And Diane posts the answer as I post the question. Umm..shipping costs are cheaper? Does that mean no expansions to save on weight? Or perhaps a thinner issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Does that mean no expansions to save on weight?

I have no idea why it's cheaper, but Barbara just wrote back about expansions. I asked her if this meant that Spielbox would include their game expansions in English now too, and she said:

Barbara Nostheide wrote:
We are just talking with the publishers and tell/told them to do it. I'm sure they agree :-)

So that sounds like nothing is being left out, or at least they're working on producing it from that angle, with everything included but in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Excellent news if that is the case. I suspect I will subscribe to both for now, and drop the German version once the English version gets off the ground and is firmly established.

Edit - And just got my copy of the note, so it appears they are contacting everyone who voted yes. I won't be surprised to see them reach out to US subscribers in a few days also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Dementen
Belgium
Sombreffe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! I was contacted too!! That's a great great news right at the end of a day's work on a report (I hate this kind of sundays...) so at least, I can say I had a good sunday afterall... (and I just subscribed!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Google is telling me that 56 Euros is currently about $76 for the 7 issues. So just over $10 per issue which includes shipping. I have little to no experience with this magazine. Those of you who do...Would you consider this a decent value, considering nothing appears to be left out from the German version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link, Diane, and Nils thanks for the info. 70 pages, huh? Babel Fish did not help at all on the editorial I tried to translate to see how it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was excited to see this announced, but I think the price point is a bit too high for me. If money were less of an issue for me, it'd be different. The main appeal to me is the promo items, and for $10/issue, I can track down the issues and promo items I really care about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Pask
Belgium
Deurne
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
I was excited to see this announced, but I think the price point is a bit too high for me. If money were less of an issue for me, it'd be different. The main appeal to me is the promo items, and for $10/issue, I can track down the issues and promo items I really care about.

I also received te mail, and mailed back to Barbara, asking if we could have the English magazine in a trail subscription, just like the German one, also (around 10Euro, excl. of shipping)
Might help us decide !
B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Tutterrow
United States
Clackamas
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to pay for a trial issue. For that price, I doubt I would subscribe without see an issue first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Gallagher
United States
Fort Lee
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Btutterrow wrote:
I would love to pay for a trial issue. For that price, I doubt I would subscribe without see an issue first.

I plan on waiting for the February english issue to come out and be offered as a single issue purchase in the web store. Sure, I'll pay more for just the single issue, but it will help me make a decision towards a subscription.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is wonderful news and definitely worth the price. I've bought German versions of the magazine and been very happy with them, despite not reading German. Getting the expansions in English too would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Pask
Belgium
Deurne
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernie_be wrote:
Mr_Nuts wrote:

I also received te mail, and mailed back to Barbara, asking if we could have the English magazine in a trail subscription, just like the German one, also (around 10Euro, excl. of shipping)
Might help us decide !
B

No luck ! I received a mail, stating that trial issues in English are not available. it was recomended to buy a single issue instead.

B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
#WYGAME
badge
#NBS#
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was subscrining to the German version and getting enough out of it with a very basic grasp of German. Whether it's worth $10/issue to you is hard to say. I like the reviews/previews, but the best part were the freebies. Now that they may be in English, it's even better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Fleeson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I've been subscribing in German for a few years now. I love reading it in German despite the slow-going. The magazine is beautiful and the reviewers/editors are thoughtful and serious gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! I did a trial of this before due to it having an expansion I wanted, but I don't read a word of German. I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Zehnal
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Raising money to end cancer because those with cancer have better things to do.
badge
I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body.
mbmbmb
I was waiting for my children to become old enough, take German in school, and translate my issues of Spielbox. I am happy with the news.

The quality of the magazine is first rate and current. It is hard to compete with the immediacy of the on-line community, but Spielbox is as good as it gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
subscribed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know what the Freebie is in the first issue? And is it in English?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
Anyone know what the Freebie is in the first issue? And is it in English?

The issue hasn't been printed yet, so we have no way of knowing.
And the first issue may not even have any freebie - although would would expect that they would try to find something to put into the premiere issue.

The freebies are dependent upon what the publishers wants to give away - except for times where the freebie is simply a centerspread game commisioned by spielbox itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the spielbox website:
Quote:
As an add on you will find a discard- and drawcard-tableau to Dominion. Date of release will be March 15th (maybe earlier).

A 'discard and draw card tableau'?
Guess one doesn't want the premiere issue for the freebie alone...
And why just a single tableu? Seems to me you would need want one per player - if you really want them at all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed.

Though it's a rather weak add-on if it's the only one. And they're harsh with their cancellation policy. Don't most US periodicals allow mid-subscription pro-rated refunds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.