BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I Want Candy (a game). Please, Recommend a Flavor. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Caldwell
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I hope my title doesn't confuse people and keep them from posting game recommendations. I just don't really care for bland titles.

I'm looking to add games to my collection which first and foremost are addictive and fun. I realize that is arbitrary, but that is why I will receive more than one opinion, which is what I am looking for. The amount of time it takes to play the game doesn't matter much, as long as there is little downtime. The amount of luck isn't a factor, as my family likes playing cards as well as Torres and Puerto Rico. Those two games do suffer from downtime problems with us, however. The games rules need to be fairly intuitive. I find Puerto Rico intuitive. There doesn't need to be a great theme, unless it helps non-gamers to grasp the mechanics. On the point of theme, it would be better to avoid games drenched in a Sci-Fi or fantasy theme. Nothing matters more than the fact that the game makes everyone want to play it again.

I haven't found a style of game that I don't like. I've trolled Board Game Geek for two years now, so no game is too obscure. Everyone I will be playing with will be at least 17 or older. I have enough negotiation games. Although they are great for getting table talk and banter going, which we need, I wouldn't be able to pull out another negotiation game. Dicefests are welcome, as well as no-luck Euros. If anything needs to be explained better, just post a question and I'll post the answer.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations, and have a good day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Caldwell
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Games I enjoy and consider candy, by the way, are Dominion and Risk. My grandma would consider Ticket to Ride really addictive. Games people consider tense would work really well for what I am after, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Goose
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric

I think that Thurn and Taxis might scratch that itch. Some luck, reasonably intuitive rules and enough opportunity to mess up your opponants plans. There's a theme as well, although I'm sure another theme would work just as well.

I prefer the original game to the two later versions, but that's just a personal choice.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the 22 games listed in your profile your complete collection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Caldwell
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
The twenty-two in my collection are they ones I actually own. My family spends most of its time playing card games, because my dad really enjoys cards and understands their strategy. The family collection is a little larger and includes things like Rummikub and Yahtzee. Outise of cards, the games in my collection are generally what my family plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Caldwell
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Tim, I have seen Thurn and Taxis, my apologies for not knowing how to link a game or quote someone, but never looked too much into it. I've always feared it played too much like Ticket to Ride. Am I wrong on this? I'm a poor college student , and can't afford too many similar games.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at what you have and what you like, I think my strongest recommendations would be for:

Vasco da Gama

It's the closest thing I've found the simple-yet-fun style of Puerto Rico. It plays quickly, and the mechanics are intuitive and easy to grasp after a single round.

Another something that you might enjoy (although very different) is:

Blokus

Its an abstract that it accessible enough to be great with non-gamers, but deep enough to be as challenging as chess with an experienced group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
"Fun and addictive" are subjective of course. Here are the games that I have said immediately afterward, "let's play again."

Dominion
Pandemic
Magic: The Gathering
Lord of the Rings
Race for the Galaxy
Saint Petersburg
Thurn and Taxis: Power and Glory expansion

Since you seem to like Dominion a lot, also consider getting one or more expansions. They breath new life into the game after you get tired of the base set cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.