Hide
8 Posts

Agricola: Farmers of the Moor» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 4 player FOTM lvl 3 report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Hoffmann
msg tools
I thought I would take the time to report a very close 4er FOTM lvl 3 we played online.

Players
hrdkor, ken, agrigal, NaZ

7 e occs, 7 fotm minors taken as draft.

Rnd 1 MiMI

Hrdkor: occ -fisherman
Ken: rsf
NaZ: Cut peat 3 fuel
Agrigal: Fell trees 2w
Hrdkor: 3w (3w)
Ken: Hiring Fair
NaZ: 2c (2c)
Agrigal: Starting Player + surveyors map
Ken: Major: Peat charcoal Kiln
NaZ: occ -hut builder
Agrigal: DL (2f)

Round one opens up with an occ I wished I had kept given the minors that went around the board. Ken thrifts, I gather fuel. Agri fells a handfull of sticks. Hrdkor take the large wood. Ken takes the free food, I swoop the clay, and Agrigal gets the map down, good for a free field, moor, and forest tile. I drop the hut builder, glad to have less resource pressure, and Agrigal grabs some extra food.

Round 2: Fences

Agrigal: 2w (4w)
Hrdkor: 1r (2r)
Ken: Horse
NaZ: Clandestine work: fireplace 2
Agrigal: Slash and Burn
Hrdkor: Starting Player + Peat Barge
Ken: RSf
NaZ: Fishing (2f)
Agrigal: occ -woodcutter
Ken: MiMI moor fire
NaZ: occ2 -storyteller

Stacked wood and reed leave the board in a hurry. Ken grabs a horse and I drop an early fireplace, perhaps a premature move. Agrigal slashes a field, and Hrdkor takes the button with the Peat Barge. Definitely regretting passing the fisherman! Ken thrifts again, I block fishing. Agrigal occs herself easier wood, and Ken plays teh moor fire. I drop the storyteller, working towards getting early veg going.

Round 3: Sow and Bake

Hrdkor: 3w (6w)
Ken: Cut Peat (5 fuel)
NaZ: Traveling Players (3f -1f +1veg)
Agrigal: Black Market: Malthouse
Hrdkor: Start Player + Drafthorses
Ken: Rsf
NaZ: Horse
Agrigal: Take Grain (1g)
NaZ: 1w (3w)

6 Wood is always a tasty choice, and hrdkor takes it. Ken refuels, I pick up some food and a veg. Agrigal drops the malthouse, and hrdkor takes the button again to drop drafthorses. Ken hits the 5 and dime again, I take a free horse. Agri takes grain preparing to malt for 4f when she cuts peat, and I take some stacked lumber.

Round 4: Sheep

Hrdkor: Fishing (2f x2 +2fuel)
Ken: 1c (4c)
NaZ: 1r (2r)
Agrigal: Cut Peat (3 fuel, malthouse 1g-4f)
Hrdkor: 2w (4w)
Ken: occ -carpenter
NaZ: Fell Trees (2w)
Agrigal: Hiring Fair (1f)
NaZ: Starting Player + Peat Pellets (2 fuel)
Agrigal: -2f Horse
Agrigal: Take Grain (1g)
Agrigal: Sow Bake (1gf)

Hrdkor works his fisherman and peat barge. Ken clears stacked clay, I clear stacked reed. Agrigal cuts peat, malting that grain she picked up. Hrdkor takes stacked wood. Ken learns carpentry, I fell trees. Agrigal hits up the open hiring fair. I jump on the button using the peat pellets for some extra food. And agrigal is left to roam the board, first taking a horse, then taking and sowing a grain. Everyone home, fed and heated. Its time for the midgame

Round 5: Family Growth

NaZ: Build room (1 room)
Agrigal: 3w (6w)
Hrdkor: Cut Peat (3fuel)
Ken: Starting Player + taps
NaZ: Fell trees (2w)
Agrigal: RSf
Hrdkor: 2c (4c)
Ken: occ -renovator
NaZ: Hiring Fair
Hrdkor: Traveling Players (3f)
NaZ: Family Growth + x

Very happy to see family growth pop up, I gladly pass the 6 wood to get my room built. Agrigal swoops up the wood and Hrdkor gathers fuel. Ken grabs the button with taps. I clear another forest, Agrigal hits the 5 and time. Hrdkor gathers stacked clay, and Ken occs himself cheap renovations. I hit the hiring fair for a free food, Hrdkor swoops on the TP for 3 food. I grow but can't get a minor down.

Round 6: 1 Stone

Ken: Clandestine work -Museum of the Moors
NaZ: Slash and Burn
Agrigal: -2f Cut Peat (malt 1g-4f)
Hrdkor: Build Room + 2 stables
NaZ: Take Sheep (3sh - 6f)
Agrigal: 1r (2r)
Hrdkor: Family Growth + Tool Shed
Ken: 2w (4w)
NaZ: Fell Trees (2w)
Agrigal: -2f Black Market: Cattle Stall (1h,1ca,1b,1sh)
NaZ: Traveling Players (1f -1f +1v)
Agrigal: Starting Player + Peat Moss
NaZ: 3w (3w)

3 special actions are taken right off the bat. Ken uses clandestine work to drop the museum, I slash a field preparing to sow vegs, and agrigal pays to cut peat and malt grain. Hrdkor builds a room and 2 stables, either to breed horses or swipe my sheep. Ken hits the RSf for the 4th time this game. As a safety play I hit up the sheep for 6 food. Agrigal grabs stacked reed. Hrdkor adds a worker and plays the tool shed, increasing the efficiency of the slash burn/cut peat card. Ken picks up stacked wood, I fell trees. Agrigal pays to visit the black market. I hit up the TP square for a veg. Agrigal takes the button and Peat Moss, greatly reducing the cost of her rooms. I hit the 3w to stop a 6w next turn.

Round 7: Renovate + MiMI

Agrigal: Build 2 rooms + 1 stable
Hrdkor: Fish (2fx2 +2 fuel)
Ken: Clandestine work: Joinery
NaZ: 6 Fences
Agrigal: RSf
Hrdkor: 1w (4w)
Ken: Occ - Pastor
Hrdkor: 2c (4c)
NaZ: Traveling Players (2f -1f +1 veg)
Ken: Renovate to Clay + Furniture Stall
NaZ: -2f Cut Peat
NaZ: SP + X

Agrigal gets rooms built, hrdkor works his fisherman for food and fuel. Ken uses Clandestine again to grab the Joinery. I lay down 6 fences, preparing to breed horses. Agrigal grabs assorted goods, and Hrdkor gets stacked wood. Ken drops the pastor and cashes in, I pick up a free horse. Hrdkor gets stacked clay, and Ken Cuts peat. I had planned to and having to pay stopped me from sowing my veg fields. I take food and another veg. Ken renovates and grabs the furniture stall. I pay to cut peat, and grab the button, sadly w/o minor.

Everyone home and fed, and we're on to the midgame

NaZ: stone (3s)
Agrigal 3w (6w)
Hrdkor: Cut Peat & Slash Burn
Ken: Build room & 1 stable
Agrigal: Family Growth + X
Hrdkor: RSf
Ken: Starting Player + Hardware Store
NaZ: 1c (4c)
Hrdkor: occ -Land Agent (+1 veg)
Ken: Black Market - Tinker
NaZ: Sow 2 veg fields
Hrdkor: 1veg (1v+1g)

Was a hard choice, but I go for the stacked stone. Agrigal happily takes the 6 wood. Hrdkor uses his toolshed, cutting peat and slashing a field simultaneously. Ken gets a clay room and a stable built. I grab a free horse. Agrigal grows w/o minor. Hrdkor hits the 5 and dime, and I grab stacked Clay. Hrdkor occs the Land agent. Ken visits the black market for a minor that gains him assorted resources. I put my veggies in the ground, and Hrdkor breaks even on his occ.

Round 9: Boar

Ken: Family Growth + X
NaZ: Sheep (3sh - 6f)
Agrigal: 2w (6w)
Hrdkor: RSf
Ken: MiMI: Basket Makers Workshop (-1r)
NaZ: 1r (3r)
Agrigal: Cut Peat (3 fuel Malt 1g-4f)
Hrdkor: Renovate to Clay + Clay Oven (Bake 1g-5f)
Ken: Taps: Hiring Fair (1f)
NaZ: 3w (3w)
Agrigal: Fell Trees
Hrdkor: 1veg (1v+1g)
Agrigal: Fence 14
Agrigal: Occ - Basketmaker

Ken grows while he can. I grab the Sheep for another 6 food. Agrigal picks up stacked lumber, and Hrdkor goes to the corner store. Ken buys the BMW at discount, I pick up stacked reed. Agrigal cuts peat and malts grain. Hrdkor renovates and grabs the clay oven, baking some bread. Ken uses his taps for a free visit to the hiring fair. I pick up small wood, Agrigal cuts down some on her farm. Hrdkor works the land agent again. Agrigal is the last to go and has 2 peeps left due to heavy special action use. 14 fences and a basketmaker. Everyone feeds and heats without problem.

Round 10: Take Stone

Ken: Slash and Burn
NaZ: Fish (3f)
Agrigal: 2c (4c)
Hrdkor: Traveling Players (4f)
NaZ: 2 boar (4f)
Agrigal: Horse
Hrdkor: SP + plowhorse market
Ken: Occ - Greengrocer
NaZ: Clandestine work: Basket Stall
Agrigal: 1c (2c)
Hrdkor: 1 veg (1v + 1g)
Ken: 1 grain (1g + 1v)
NaZ: Renovate to Clay + Well (use 1r as 1s)
Agrigal: 3w (3w)

Ken slashes a field. I block Hrdkor from the fish. Agrigal grabs stacked clay. Hrdkor in return blocks TP. Ken visits the corner store, and I eat the boar. Agrigal picks up a 2nd horse. Hrdkor grabs the button and the plowhorse market. Ken occs the greengrocer. I do some clandestine work, grabbing the basket stall. Agrigal clears the other clay pile. Hrdkor and Ken flex their occs, picking up a veg and grain each. I renovate to clay, using the stall to convert excess reed into stone to buy the well. Agrigal grabs small wood.

Round 11: Take Cattle

(Agrigal gets field from surveyors map)
Hrdkor: Cut Peat & Slash Burn (tool shed)
Ken: Starting Player + Chamber of commerce
NaZ: Take Hut then Family Growth + Fish Smokehouse
Agrigal: Renovate to Clay + Cooking Hearth
Hrdkor: 1s (3s)
Ken: 1r (2r)
NaZ: Hiring Fair (1f)
Agrigal: Cattle (1ca)
Hrdkor: Veg. (1v+1g)
Ken: -2f Slash Burn
NaZ: 1w (4w)
Hrdkor: Sow and Bake (2gf 1g-5f)
Ken: Grain (1g+1v)
Agrigal: Rsf

Hrdkor utilizes his tool shed to gather fuel and slash a field. Ken hops on the button and a minor worth a few points. I grab my hut builder's work and immediately grow, playing the Fish smokehouse using my last reed as an extra clay with the stall. Agrigal renovates and grabs cookery. Hrdkor clears stacked stone, Ken stacked reed. I visit the hiring fair for a free food. Agrigal grabs a cattle giving her a breeding pair with the other one from her market. Hrdkor works the land agent again, Ken pays to slash. I grab stacked wood, Agrigal grabs another point, I mean horse. Hrdkor gets some grain in the ground and bread in the oven. Ken works the green grocer, and Agrigal hits the corner store.

Everyone fed and warm, and we're on to the endgame

Round 12: Family Growth W/O room.

(Agrigal gets moor tile from surveyors map)
Ken: Family Growth w/o Room
NaZ: Starting Player + Quarry
Agrigal: Take Boar (2 boar)
Hrdkor: 3w (6w)
Ken: 2w (6w)
NaZ: Take Sheep (3sh - 6f)
Agrigal: Grain (1g)
Hrdkor: Plow (1 field)
Ken: Slash Burn
NaZ: -2f Cut Peat
Agrigal: Hiring Fair
Hrdkor: Fell Trees (2w)
Ken: 1s (3s)
NaZ: Occ - Head Of the Family
Agrigal: Family Growth + River Clay
Hrdkor: Fences (15 fences)
Ken: (Taps) Clandestine Work: Pottery
NaZ: Family Growth w/o Room

Ken is very happy to see fg, and promptly takes it. I hop on the button and play a minor I had every intention of using, but completely forgot about. Agrigal rounds up the boar. Hrdkor and Ken take all the wood. I make another stop at the sheep pen, keeping 1 as a pet. Agrigal picks up some seeds, hrdkor plows. Ken slashes a field, making me pay 2f to cut peat. Again that lost efficiency! Agrigal visits the fair for a food, Hrdkor chops down some wood. Ken picks up stacked stone. And I play an occ that I thought I'd need turns ago, things just worked out such that I didn't need it until now. Agrigal adds a worker and plays River clay, a minor she doesn't use. Hrdkor plays max fences. Ken uses taps to do some clandestine work, and I break even on the HoF with a worker addition.

Round 13: Plow & Sow

(Agrigal gets forest tile from surveyors map)
NaZ: Plow + Sow (1 field, 3 veg fields sown)
Agrigal: Cut Peat (3 fuel, malt 1g-4f)
Hrdkor: Take Cattle (2 cattle)
Ken: 2c (6c)
NaZ: Fish (3f -1fuel +3 food)
Agrigal: 3w (3w)
Hrdkor: Family Growth + x
Ken: 1s (2s)
NaZ: Clandestine work: Upgrade FP to cookhouse
Agrigal: Occ - Stockman
Hrdkor: Fell Trees (2w)
Ken: Renovate To Stone + Stone Oven (Bake 1g-4f)
NaZ: RSf
Agrigal: 3 Stables (+1 sh, +1 bo, +1 ca)
Hrdkor: Sow and Bake (1gf & 1g-5f)
NaZ: MiMI: Furnace (1r as 1s, +2 fuel)
Agrigal: 1r (2r)
Ken: 2w (2w)
NaZ: Plow Field

A busy round 13 for sure. I start with Plow and sow, filling 3 veg fields. Agrigal works her malthouse again, "baking" grain while gathering fuel. Hrdkor takes a pair of cattle, Ken gathers stacked clay. I break even on the fish smokehouse and block Hrdkor from that spot. Agrigal grabs low wood. Hrdkor adds a worker. Ken grabs more stone, I upgrade my cookery with some clandestine work. Agrigal gets out the stockman. Hrdkor cuts down more trees on his property. Ken renovates to stone and grabs the other oven, baking 1 of his grain. I hit up the corner store again. Agrigal works the stockman, playing 3 stables and gaining animals. Hrdkor sows and bakes more bread. Ken cuts his last moor down. I use the basket stall again, turning a reed into a clay to play the furnace and solve my heating issues this turn. Agrigal takes stacked reed, Ken a low wood. I plow a field for 2 more pts

Everyone feeds, breeds, and harvests. Its time for the final turn.

Round 14: Renovate + Fences

NaZ: Plow & Sow (1 field, sow 2 veg fields)
Agrigal: Family Growth w/o Room
Hrdkor: Boar (2 bo)
Ken: Slash and Burn
NaZ: RSf
Hrdkor: Plow Field
Ken: 3w (3w)
NaZ: Clandestine Work: Ceramics stall (1r-1c w/ basket stall)
Agrigal: 1s (2s)
Hrdkor: Sow and Bake (1gf bake 1g-5f)
Ken: 1w (3w)
NaZ: 2c (4c)
Agrigal: Renovate to Stone + 1 fence
Hrdkor: MiMI: Village Church
Ken: Fence 10
NaZ: Build 2 stables (turn 4c into 4w with ceramics stall)
Agrigal: Occ - Hobbyfarmer (sow 1 veg field)
Ken: Cattle (1 ca)
NaZ: 2w (2w)

The last turn of the game! I open up with another plow and sow, insuring max pts for veg and lots of food. Agrigal hires on her last worker. Hrdkor takes a breeding pair of boar. Ken slashes a field. I grab the RSf spot again. Agrigal grabs a free horse. Hrdkor plows another field. Ken rounds up more wood. I put the basket stall to use for another clay and do some clandestine work for the Ceramics Stall.
Agrigal grabs stacked stone. Hrdkor puts more grain in the ground and bakes. Ken picks up more wood, I snag clay to turn into wood. Agrigal renovates, Hrdkor buys the village Church. Ken fences while he can, I have to settle for building 2 stables instead. Agrigal occs a small sow action and a free veg, Ken eliminates a negative. I'm forced to grab 2w to heat my house.

everyone home, well fed, houses warm, and thats the game!

Final Scores (f)(p)(g)(v)(sh)(bo)(ca)(h)(un)(fst)(cl r)(st r)(fa)(ca)(bonus)

NaZ: 48 (4)(1)(-1)(4)(1)(-1)(-1)(9)(-2)(1)(4)(0)(15)(14)(0)
Agrigal: 47 (1)(4)(-1)(2)(1)(2)(2)(7)(-1)(4)(0)(8)(15)(3)(0)
Hrdkor: 46 (3)(3)(4)(4)(-1)(1)(2)(2)(-1)(2)(3)(0)(12)(9)(3)
Ken: 46 (4)(1)(1)(2)(-1)(-1)(1)(1)(-1)(1)(0)(6)(12)(17)(3)

well this has to be one of the closest games of FOTM I have played to date. and it illustrated the various ways to acquire points. I have not run the FEATS system through this. Game was played online.

In retrospect, passing the fisherman was dead dumb. drafting only FOTM minors there are a lot of fishing cards. I think my use of the ceramics stall let me use rsf as csf, enabling me to easily grab 2 more majors. That and heavy use of clandestine work.

I hope you've enjoyed reading, it was a blast to play.

NaZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was Fisherman your first pick? What else was in the first set?

Fisherman is great, but my own report shows that Fisherman loses a lot of value if 1) the original Fisherman Minors are in play (you almost _have_ to wait for the third Fish to come up to be worth it) and 2) if your opponents also get good Fishing Minors - _all_ the fishing minors in FotM are quite good.

Fp2 when the Sheep didn't show until R4 was definitely premature. Although, you couldn't build the Forester's Lodge at the time and the PCK was taken already. You may have been able to safely FT then take CW later that round, not sure and FTing just before taking the Lodge doesn't seem ideal either. Taking 2C was your R1 action looked like a gambit that didn't pay off too much

Also, where did the 2C Clay go between rounds 2-4? I see that it was taken in Round 3 (4C was available on the space in R5) but I don't see who took it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. I love games that end in such a dead heat. I notice that you used expansion Minors exclusively; do you feel this made a difference in play, as opposed to a 4/3 new/old split?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Hoffmann
msg tools
Fisherman was passed in order to take Head of Family. An occ I really didn't need until round 12, but I couldn't risk passing either.

I agree that FP2 was premature, but also a block to make sure I controlled the sheep. That dominance lasted well into the midgame, and I was able to take 3 sheep round 6, 3 sheep round 9, 3 sheep round 12 keeping 1. 16 food and an erased negative is still worth it IMO

I do regret clear-cutting my forests and not buying the lodge. I was trying to play through a game without acquiring either major for a change. interestingly enough, nobody ever grabbed the lodge!

Geoff I do think the game is better with moors only minors. more cards that effect special actions etc. we usually play level 2 with just eM and F decks, but setting it for level 3 adds in the E occs w/o selecting the E deck.

NaZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice report. Sounds like you're all very evenly matched.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
nazdr3g wrote:
...Geoff I do think the game is better with moors only minors. more cards that effect special actions etc. we usually play level 2 with just eM and F decks, but setting it for level 3 adds in the E occs w/o selecting the E deck.

NaZ

I'll have to try to get my crew to give FotM/L3 a whirl with expansion Minors only. Is there any reason you restrict yourselves to E-deck Ocks only? Or is that just a temporary choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think letting you control all of the sheep from R4-11 (which is 8 sheep!) was a mistake too. I think someone could have built the CH4 and challenged you to it...

Also, during your last round, were you deficit heating by 1 or 2? If it's only 1, you could have taken another FG w/o Room and get your new baby sick (Sounds awful, doesn't it). This gives you an extra point you wouldn't have had with the 2W play, although you would have had to scrounge up an extra food as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Osborne
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report NaZ. This was a really fun game. For everyone's info. the banuch site doesnt allow a good mix of fotm and reg. minors, so we usually just play with fotm minors b/c the mix of eik would otherwise washout the frequency of fotm minors.

Agrigal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.