Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
So my group got together this weekend to continue our Sea of Blood campaign, so here is our second session report. Just as a reminder of who is playing the heroes are as follows:

Runemaster Thorn (played by Zach): Mage Cloak skill

Nara the Fang (also played by Zach): Tiger Tattoo Skill, Defender Skill

Kirga (played by Zeb): Precision Skill, Eagle Eye Skill

Lord Hawthorne (also played by Zeb): 1 bonus melee trait, Weapon Mastery Skill

I am playing the overlord with the Count avatar and the Bloodsuckers upgrade. My eldritch monsters have also been upgraded to Silver.

When we ended our last session, the heroes had made a rather lengthy, yet uneventful trek down to Garnott to attempt to stop the Siren from destroying it. However attempting to fight a LT with no ship upgrades and 2 of their heroes below 1\2 health proved to be a bit rough, and only Lord Hawthorne managed to escape preventing a TPK. So the next week started with a full 4 siege tokens against Garnott and the Siren and Heroes both present there.

Week 10:

I collected my weekly conquest and bought an Event treachery, while the Siren rolled to destroy the city, but failed. The heroes then debated a little bit, but decided the Siren was too tough and they needed more experience, and upgrades for their ship before fighting her again. Thus they wrote the city off as a loss, and headed northward over land to try to explore further dungeons and head for the Secret Training area. They choose not to explore the first dungeon they came across
however, as it was close to the Siren and would've been Reinforced with Hordes of the Things (and they were not fans of the Silver Skeletons!).

Week 11:

Again I collected my conquest, but this time the siege was successful! The Siren destroyed the city, and then began swimming toward Orris (if nothing else I figured by besieging it I could lure the heroes toward it and earn a CP devil. I also purchased a 2nd Event treachery. The heroes moved northward and entered the dungeon in the Sunset Hills, and thus began our first dungeon of the evening.

Level One: The Opera of the Forsaken

This level was basically a romp for the heroes. Though it had a silver eldritch boss with undying, good use of Kirga by the heroes really slowed my spawning and soon I was just playing a delaying action. I did however save up enough threat to get Evil Genius in play, deciding to get that out instead of going for some early kills. The heroes went through this whole level and didn't die once, though Nara was wounded a bit. My only substantial gain was Evil Genius being in play.

Heroes: 6 CP (Glyph, Leader, Chest) & 1300 Gold
Overlord: 0 CP, Evil Genius power card played

Level Two: Mirabelle's Fall

Here I got my first kill, on a cursed Nara the Fang. This level has pits that draw every figure toward them, and deal 2 damage if you fall in them rather than 1. Nara was wounded from the last level, and the heroes entered the main room (either turn 1 or two) with most having guard and all being clumped together to take advantage of Nara's Defender skill. Zach put Nara two spaces away from the pit to avoid being drawn in. But when he moved toward it at the start of my turn, I dropped a Crushing Block on him (not sure if that counted as "entering a space" but it seemed to me that it did and Zach didn't object), he took all 4 damage and then I placed him in the pit for 2 more killing him. I think we played that right, but can anyone tell me for sure? I don't believe pits count as "obstacles" for the purposes of Crushing Block, but I suppose I could be wrong, if anyone knows for sure they can let me know.

Nara then later died a 2nd time on this level when she made a death or glory charge to the boss. Back to back pit traps really put a damper on her day though she still managed to inflict major pain to the boss. The boss then attacked her, and then either the boss or a random monster finished her off. At this point Zach decided to rid her of her cursed weapon, the cost in Conquest outweighing the value. No one else died on this level though I did better than the last one, the heroes did some shopping in town and preceded to the final level of the dungeon.

Heroes: 5 CP (Glyph & Leader) & 1150 Gold
Overlord: 10 CP (Cursed Nara the Fang 2x)

Level Three: Jacob's Lament

The heroes had progressed very well on level 1, pretty darn good on level 2, but were then absolutely slaughtered on level 3. This level proved to be an absolute witch for the heroes for several reasons. The master beastman boss probably wouldn't have been too much trouble, but I choose the setup that included a Golem, and blocked the hallway leading to the boss. A silver level Golem doesn't deal insane amounts of damage, but man is it hard to kill. Spawning a pair of silver Dark priests also ruined the heroes day, I believe both my treachery cards also came out on this level. Crushing Blow took away the Ring of Quickness from Runemaster Thorn, and Enrage made for a dark priest who could come out behind the golem, attack twice, and then return back safely. Charge, Aim and Rage also all came into play on this level, all combined with the boss Beastman's Command ability. I had been grooming my hand for the final level and it paid off.

The first to die was the now un-cursed Nara. After the heroes claimed a glyph, both Lord Hawthorne and the Runemaster fell. Nara took down the level leader, but Kirga died shortly thereafter to the ever deadly master Dark Priest. I then cycled my deck through just barely before they got out, and managed to take down Lord Hawthorne a 2nd time in the final turns. Divine Favor kicked in at that point and saved them 1 CP. A very rough level for the heroes, but they did complete it and earned their 2nd treasure map piece.

Heroes: 8 CP (Glyph, Chest (Barrel), & Final Dungeon Leader) & 1750 Gold

Overlord: 19 CP (a TPK, plus Deck Cycling, Divinely Favored Lord Hawthorne)

The heroes managed to hack their way through the dungeon and choose to stay in the Sunset Hills. The dungeon definitely got harder for them as it went on, and though the final count of 29 CP (DF saved the heroes 1 CP)for me and only 19 CP for them was a bit rough, it really wasn't too bad because they did get a treasure map piece, plus 3850 gold. And so ended our action for the week. We realized after this whole session was over that we had forgotten about Nara's Tiger Tattoo making her immune to damage from pits. She died twice due in part to the damage they caused her and things would've gone better for the heroes had we remembered that. I also forgot to put the barrel on the last level. We decided it was too late to go back and correct things, but I did let the heroes roll for the barrel as if they'd gotten it (to try to make up for Nara's deaths), and it turned into a chest !

Week 12:

I collected my conquest for the week, for the first time getting 2 thanks to a razed Garnott. The Siren moved a trail closer to Orris, and I purchased my 3rd Event treachery. The heroes decided to just walk closer to the secret training, discovering the Bog of Vipers, but choose not to explore it, they wanted to do the Secret Training first.

Week 13:

Again I got 2 CP, and the Siren actually entered Orris. I choose not to spend any XP this week, I want to have lots saved up for when the campaign switches to silver so I can have gold monsters right away (also want to play the plot card that raises Dallak as soon as Silver level campaign starts). The heroes entered Gray's Vale and the week ended.

Week 14:

Another week, another 2 conquest as the Siren placed her first siege token against the city of Orris. The heroes took a training action and all purchased their Copper level upgrades. Nara and Hawthorne bought 4 extra wounds, Runemaster and Kirga got 1 extra fatigue. Runemaster Thorn also trained in the skill Swashbuckler (pay 2 fatigue when declaring a battle to get half your movement rounded up, and gain a dodge order at the end of your turn). Though the rules state that when
training in town you can only get 2 trait dice upgrades OR a skill card I couldn't find any such restriction with the Health\Fatigue upgrades. It made it sound like you could buy them in addition to Skill\Dice upgrades as part of 1 training action. Anyone know anything that would contradict this?

Week 15:

2 more conquest and the Siren places her 2nd siege token on the city of Orris. The heroes move back out to the Bog of Vipers and choose to enter the dungeon this time.

Level One: Sea Dragon's Lair

The first level of the map location "Bog of Vipers" starts on a level with 2 Naga bossess, how appropriate! This level is HUGE! It basically splits off in two directions, the right leading toward both bosses, a glyph, a chest, and the exit of the level. The left leads toward a dragon's corpse which though immobile, allows the OL to spawn razorwings next to it for free if there are less than two on the map. The left also has a 2nd glyph, a 2nd chest, and a treasure pile. So the heroes can either ignore the extra treasure\conquest and go straight to the exit killing the bosses on their way, or try to clear the whole level. Zach and Zeb choose to try to clear the whole level, and headed left.

At first things went very much their way, they cleared out a lot of monsters and didn't have too much trouble (in part due to me having a terrible string of luck on the dice with lots of misses). The heroes had plenty of misses on their own though, and it slowed them down. Still they managed to loot the chest, activate the glyph, and grab the treasure without any of them dying. Kirga had a web weapon with which he repeatedly webbed my razorwings and then the heroes would deliberately not kill them so I couldn't spawn more. Still they were a bit of a hassle to the heroes. Once they'd collected things, they turned toward the other end of the level and that's when things started to get a bit messy.

Runemaster Thorn was the first to die, the boss' command helping a medusa & some skeletons finish him off. Divine Favor was in effect, but he had a curse on him from killing the dark priest in the last dungeon meaning he was still worth 2 CP. Hawthorne managed to land the killing blow on the first Naga leader, but the 2nd leader finished off Nara the Fang. Kirga then killed the 2nd Naga and the door to the next level was opened. Before the heroes could flee the level however, a
beastman war party spawn nearly killed the Runemaster, with 4 wounds left he was fleeing for the door and appeared to be safe. An Enrage treachery card though meant a normal beastman caught up to him and finished him off before he could exit.

Heroes: 11 CP (2x Glyphs, 2x Leaders, Chest) & 1300 Gold Overlord: 6 CP (Cursed Runemaster, Runemaster, Nara)

Level Two: The Inquisition

The first level had taken a LONG time. Even though I hadn't played any power cards (I failed to draw any I wanted), I had gone though about 1\2 my deck and delayed them a good long while. The heroes went through most of the dungeon, claiming treasure, chests, and a glyph but decided not to face the boss once it came to the part about turning the statues (he was locked in a cage unless they faced the statues certain directions). I was already too far through the deck, we were not very
far from entering the silver level of the campaign, and they wanted to get back and fight the Siren before the campaign advanced to silver. So they fled the dungeon after looting the level.

Heroes: 4 CP (Glyph & Chest) & 1250 Gold
Overlord: 5 CP (Kirga & Nara [again partly from pits, we need to learn to read shake])

Divine Favor saved the heroes a total of 5 conquest in this dungeon which they managed to get part way through, giving them at least some money to play with.

Week 16:

I gained my XP and placed a 3rd siege token on Orris. The heroes decided to train, mainly to upgrade their ship. They bought the Reaper Figurehead, a Hawkeye Cannon, Repaired the Ship (it was damaged from the Count's special ability), and got Kirga a 4th ranged trait dice (to use with the cannon). They also bought 5 cheap potions for the fight. They figured that they would have just enough time to reach the Siren before she could roll to destroy the city.

Week 17:

Silver level draws ever closer with another 2 CP, and the Siren puts the 4th Siege on Orris. The heroes moved south to the Cerridor Sea, but rolled an encounter. We drew the encounter and it was "Becalmed"......which sends the heroes back where they came from, Gafford. This is where we choose to end. Though the heroes can go shopping for more cheap potions since they got sent back, this also means that the Siren will have 1 turn in which she can try to destroy the city before they get there. It would be disappointing if that was the case all because of a Becalmed encounter card, but such is fate .

And so ended this session. We played for about 8 1\2 hours over Friday night and part of Saturday. That does not count breaks for eating\sleeping, but does include setup time. The conquest totals now stand at OL 102, heroes 66, which puts us just 32 away from Silver. Also, if the heroes fall much further behind, double Divine Favor will kick in (it has made a difference of 6 conquest so far). I have no idea if the heroes will be able to stop the Siren, with their new upgrades they stand a chance but I think much of it depends on the location for the encounter. So until next time, happy gaming .

On a side note, let me know if there is anything further you think I should include in these session reports. I plan to keep doing them if we keep playing, though it may be awhile before our next game. We're all looking forward to it though, hopefully we won't botch something as major as Nara's Tiger Tattoo, she died 3 times where pits were at least somewhat involved!

P.S. This is a silly question, but does anyone know how to make the smiley's look cool on these posts on not just be symbols? I'm probably just missing something obvious. *Edit* Nevermind, figured out I need to un-check the box at the bottom label "Disable Emoticons"......man I'm an idiot sometimes....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kartigan wrote:
P.S. This is a silly question, but does anyone know how to make the smiley's look cool on these posts on not just be symbols? I'm probably just missing something obvious.

What? Like this? devil cool

Using the Emoticon palette at the top of the edit post page is the easiest. Just make sure you have at least one space between emoticons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I was doing that, but now after your post I went back and tried again. I discovered that un-checking the box in the bottom labeled "Disable Emoticons" is helpful .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kartigan wrote:
Zach put Nara two spaces away from the pit to avoid being drawn in. But when he moved toward it at the start of my turn, I dropped a Crushing Block on him (not sure if that counted as "entering a space" but it seemed to me that it did and Zach didn't object), he took all 4 damage and then I placed him in the pit for 2 more killing him. I think we played that right, but can anyone tell me for sure? I don't believe pits count as "obstacles" for the purposes of Crushing Block, but I suppose I could be wrong, if anyone knows for sure they can let me know.

Yes, you can play trap cards on heroes if they move and it is not the hero's turn. For example, if a monster has knockback, he can attack a hero and knock him back 3 spaces. Then, the OL can play a trap because the triggering condition has been met (Hero moved to an empty space.)

Secondly, playing a crushing block next to a pit is legal (see the latest FAQ). This also allows trap chaining. (i.e. Pit trap first. Hero climbs out of pit and is hit with Crushing Block and pushed back into pit.)

Kartigan wrote:
Though the rules state that when training in town you can only get 2 trait dice upgrades OR a skill card I couldn't find any such restriction with the Health\Fatigue upgrades. It made it sound like you could buy them in addition to Skill\Dice upgrades as part of 1 training action. Anyone know anything that would contradict this?

When training at the Secret Training locations a hero may purchase only one upgrade each week. A Health or Fatigue upgrade would be considered that one upgrade so the hero may not also get a Skill or Dice upgrade in the same week. If the party stays a second week, the hero may purchase a second upgrade (but only one health or fatigue upgrade per campaign level).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.