Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad V
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few newer fan made expansions have been getting their own Geek entries lately. Here are a few examples:

Seattle (fan expansion for Ticket to Ride)
Random Map Expansion (fan expansion for Small World)
Community's Compendium I (fan expansion for Small World)

Poll
Do you think TtR fan maps should get their own entry?
Yes
No
      86 answers
Poll created by LostDice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't care
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Mabie
United States
Oxford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've changed my initial answer (which, admittedly, was No), upon reflection....

If there is a chance that the "addition" might fall under copyright infringement, or some other similar intellectual property issue, then maybe it should still be considered a part of the original game as a "variant" of some sort (rule or map).

If, however, the "addition" is public domain, or is granted permission to exist by whatever forces are able to grant it such power, then I think it should be eligible to have its own entry, especially if there is a legitimate change to it.

Two reasons:
1) I think it would fall under a similar situation to the Monopoly rule.

2) I got to thinking about Diplomacy. Many variants - both map & rule - were published in magazines in the hey-day (and are even still being produced such as Joe Janbu's popular South America versions). I'd consider some of the fan-made ones to be distinctly separate from the original, enough that they could be considered relatives akin to PnP. The main question being if they might fall under IP or not.

But ultimately, it's up to the database managers, and not us; if they want to add them, then more power to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad V
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like for fan maps to get their own entry. It would be nice to get individual ratings and comments on each map. It would definitely help in deciding which ones to print out and put together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm completely baffled by this movement to create individual pages for the tiniest additions to games (promo domininon cards, the gorilla expanansion for Zooloretto, etc.). Wouldn't everybody, especially people new to the hobby, be better served by fewer pages and more consolidation of information?

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bwridge wrote:
I'm completely baffled by this movement to create individual pages for the tiniest additions to games (promo domininon cards, the gorilla expanansion for Zooloretto, etc.). Wouldn't everybody, especially people new to the hobby, be better served by fewer pages and more consolidation of information?

Brian

+1

There's a "Variants" subforum for every board game on this site. Why make it obsolete?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Official juice only please. Else, post in Variants/Files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwridge wrote:

Brian

I think for part of it is it's easier to note what you have that is available to purchase/trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christophe cilier
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think this will add confusion between official and fan extensions.

fan extensions are not enought clearly identified.

Everybody will make a little expension for have his name on the website.

I have made saveral expensions and I think this is no good.

Add a system to identify extension, is probably beter, a new section.
But some fan do it already with some games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Riley
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Christophe - I wouldn't mind them having their own entry if 1) it was very clearly identified as fan-made variant, and 2) if it was clearly linked to under the game it was a variant for. Otherwise, it just adds to confusion.

To Gary's comment about purchase/trade, in no way should BGG be encouraging the sale or barter of these fan expansions, nor should you as fans of the original game be considering doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barneyg wrote:
bwridge wrote:

Brian

+1

There's a "Variants" subforum for every board game on this site. Why make it obsolete?

what they said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally and for the time being, I don't care. I still care more about and think Dominion: Intrigue should have been allowed to stay on the the top 20 or whatever since everyone's always saying a game that can be played out of the box without having to rely on other game purchases is considered a stand-alone game. Even that's not saying much as I've gotten all "meh" about it a long time ago.

If these add-ons/expansions have their own entries, I agree they need to be clearly marked as fan-made. In practice, I don't know if enough people comment on games to make it worth it. If they get lumped underneath their parent game entries, they need to be made aware that such fanmade add-ons/expansions are available. Either way, someone's gonna be confused.

At minimum, I would like to see such add-ons that get their own game entries to be either official (by the designer or with permission from the designer). Otherwise, having your own entry will become open season.

jedimusic wrote:
No. Official juice only please. Else, post in Variants/Files.
Variants include material that are non-physical in nature, such as rule changes, or using existing components in different ways that do NOT involve any PnP or extra stuff to be added. I believe some people would like a way to separate that from some of these PnP and equivalent materials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.