Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Wizard Kings 1st edition when it came out - tried to play it and found it confusing and a bit flawed. So it got put away in its box and tonight has just come out again.

I have 1st edition but we are playing with 2nd edition rules.

Many rules are still as confusing as they were first edition, but after reading through the rules and trying to setup, we had many questions.

1. The first big question is the thing that stopped us playing it last time.
Sea transport can only be used from 1 friendly port to another friendly port within 4 hexes. So, lets say the 2 sides are seperated by water (eg: Map 2 is in use as the northernmost map, and on turn 1, the south player captures Urbaka. How can the game actually progress from this point, since sea movement is only possible from 1 friendly city to another friendly city?
The way I read it is that only flying or aquatic units can actually cross the water, and there isnt enough of them to take another city so that other units can then be ferried across.

1a. On a similar note, the city of Juslana on Map 4 - How can an enemy ever take this unless you leave it unoccupied?

2. Castles. Can castles be built anywhere, or just where the gold is produced (i.e next to a city)

3. Damage. Is damage applied one hit at a time? So, if I have 2 units with 4 strength and I get hit for 3 (non-targeted damage), do I have to apply 1 hit to each to reduce them to 3 strength, followed by one more hit to one of my choice.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Working from memory here, and I don't remember the maps, so...
PaulGrogan wrote:
But not 2nd edition blocks, which will be important later!
Quote:
Sea transport can only be used from 1 friendly port to another friendly port within 4 hexes. So, lets say the 2 sides are seperated by water (eg: Map 2 is in use as the northernmost map, and on turn 1, the south player captures Urbaka. How can the game actually progress from this point, since sea movement is only possible from 1 friendly city to another friendly city?
You're shafted. In 2nd edition, there are more naval units you can sticker up as part of any army (they're in the 'chaos' colours).

EDIT: You're British, you ought to realise how important a navy is!
Quote:
1a. On a similar note, the city of Juslana on Map 4 - How can an enemy ever take this unless you leave it unoccupied?
I'm guessing that's an island city - same answer.
Quote:
2. Castles. Can castles be built anywhere, or just where the gold is produced (i.e next to a city)
In 1st edition, only where the cash is produced. In 2nd edition, there are treasure blocks that can be built as units and can move around the board then be used as cash wherever needed..
Quote:

3. Damage. Is damage applied one hit at a time?
Yes. Apply each hit to the currently highest block (owner's choice for equally high blocks).

Basically, 1st edition blocks are compatible, but incomplete, for 2nd edition rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Working from memory here, and I don't remember the maps, so...
PaulGrogan wrote:
But not 2nd edition blocks, which will be important later!
Quote:
You're shafted. In 2nd edition, there are more naval units you can sticker up as part of any army (they're in the 'chaos' colours).

EDIT: You're British, you ought to realise how important a navy is!
Quote:
I'm guessing that's an island city - same answer.
Quote:
In 1st edition, only where the cash is produced. In 2nd edition, there are treasure blocks that can be built as units and can move around the board then be used as cash wherever needed..
Quote:

3. Damage. Is damage applied one hit at a time?
Yes. Apply each hit to the currently highest block (owner's choice for equally high blocks).

Basically, 1st edition blocks are compatible, but incomplete, for 2nd edition rules...

A few of the units were also changed in 2d edition, but none in a way that would make any 1st edition units you may have unusable.

The 2d edition has a large number of scenarios available and I think you'll find your sea movement problem will be rare.

Like all block games. it's an important part of strategic play to avoid enemy strength. The fact you can't easily attack Juslana without aquatic units or flyers (which you shouldn't have a shortage ofanyway) just means you go in a different direction. The enemy can't cover every location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies. However, after a couple of hours of trying to understand badly written rules, and what we classed as some fundamental flaws in the game (You say the sea thing is rare, but it happened in our first game leading to a stalemate).
We played 5 turns last night, which were little skirmishes - all the time spending gold to build up more units. Nothing really happened.

Due to attacker being at a big disadvantage, there wasnt really any incentive to attack. Sorry, but this game just doesnt really work. Back in the box - for sale to a good home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That stalemate thing does happen. It becomes less of a problem as players start maneuvering to try to remedy the 'trench warfare mentality'. It is not obvious and is a problem with this type of game.

Think Napoleon, not Blücher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua O'Connor
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
That stalemate thing does happen. It becomes less of a problem as players start maneuvering to try to remedy the 'trench warfare mentality'. It is not obvious and is a problem with this type of game.

Think Napoleon, not Blücher.

Lock n Load was called Spot n Shake by my group until we realized you have to MOVE AGGRESSIVELYto get the game going, which incidentally models fire and movement doctrine. MYbe this is similar. I’m still trying to get my head around what Seth is on about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.