Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say the Sauron player wants to play "Morgul-blade" ("Play at the start of a combat involving a minion - Deal the hero 5 damage for each Corruption card on him OR Deal the hero 3 damage and give him 1 Corruption Card") on a combat involving the Mouth. Both the Shadow Card and the Mouth's Special ability (at start of combat with him a hero gets 1 Corruption card) happen 'at start of combat'.

So which one happens first? If the Sauron player wanted to use the 1st option on the Shadow card it would cause 5 more damage when the Mouth's Special ability triggers first.

How would you play this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play it where the Sauron player chooses the order. I can see circumstances where Sauron may want to do either of the two, and I don't think Sauron should be penalized for being able to really strongly punish the hero.

The way I see it, Shadow Cards are "interrupts", interrupting whatever sequence they are meant to interrupt. Therefore, Sauron can choose to play Morgul Blade after the special ability is applied for the MoS, which is akin to after the corruption card, or Sauron can choose to play Morgul Blade before the special ability is applied for the MoS, in which case the player doesn't have the extra corruption card yet. So, rather than be really nitpicky about forcing Sauron to play at precisely the right time, I would just say let Sauron choose the order of resolution.

(In your situation, I can see where it could be beneficial to resolve the cards in either order, depending on circumstance, so there is no one universally better choice. It is either +1 corruption card then 5 damage per corruption card, or 3 damage +2 corruption cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I agree with Sam. Until the players reveal their cards, it's "start of combat" (because combat proper hasn't begun).

So Sauron plays a Start of Combat card and resolves it. At the end of the card's resolution, it's still "start of combat" because the play of combat cards hasn't begun.

I'd say Sauron can play as many of these abilities as he has. As Sam mentions, to do otherwise is to punish him for setting up a fairly tricky combo, which he paid for by investing in card draws and monster summoning instead of doing something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played that Sauron can order anything that states "at the start of Combat" at the start of combat, then the hero decides how to split his agility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.