Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Crackshot in a Pit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Albert Luna
United States
California
flag msg tools
Can a hero use crackshot to shoot out of a pit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thought. I don't see why not, as long as there's an adjacent empty space that's outside the pit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Luna
United States
California
flag msg tools
What seems like might change is that you aren't able to attack out of a pit, even though you can be attacked while in a pit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would personally houserule that you can't, simply because I think it's a bit against the theme. Crackshot represents good aim/fast hands/ducking in and out of cover. Very hard to do that while in a spiked pit. Also means that one of the big benefits of pit traps for the OL is canceled (dropping someone advancing into one at the end of their move in order to waste their ranged attack).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Artemir wrote:
What seems like might change is that you aren't able to attack out of a pit, even though you can be attacked while in a pit.
Not sure what you mean, but there's nothing stopping you from attack from a pit. You have line of sight to all spaces adjacent to the pit. (and of course all spaces in the pit if it's more than one square)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nessmk2 wrote:
I would personally houserule that you can't, simply because I think it's a bit against the theme. Crackshot represents good aim/fast hands/ducking in and out of cover. Very hard to do that while in a spiked pit. Also means that one of the big benefits of pit traps for the OL is canceled (dropping someone advancing into one at the end of their move in order to waste their ranged attack).

Wasting someone's ranged attack by dropping them in a pit hardly ever works anyway, since heroes often have movement and/or fatigue left when they're making an attack, and if this one, specific, highly situational tactic is rendered ineffective against a maximum of one hero that has one specific skill (that isn't particularly good to begin with), I'm not shedding any tears. There are skills (plural) that give you better protection against pit traps as an afterthought, in addition to the skill's main function.

Your thematic reasoning is arbitrary. Pits don't make any thematic sense in the first place (other figures can see you without you seeing them, and you still block line of sight of figures you can't see), and it's not remotely clear what Crack Shot is supposed to thematically represent (other than "being a good shot"), but it's entirely plausible there are skillful things you could do while inside a pit in order to better shoot things outside of it, including: indirect fire, shooting while hanging off a ledge, or simply utilizing a small/short window of fire to make a shot that others would consider impossible.

Frankly, the fact that you think it would be "very hard" to do doesn't even warrant consideration--heroes do "very hard" stuff for breakfast, and in a fantasy game they even do stuff that is actually impossible as a matter of course. This is a special ability that only a small minority of heroes can use, and it uses up valuable character resources to be able to do it. Any skill that doesn't let a hero do something that would be "very hard" doesn't deserve to be a skill in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I consider Crackshot absolutely rubbish, and believe it overlaps far too much with Precision - You can avoid the need for it by simply moving 1 more space with your hero, and any obstacle you can ignore using Crackshot you could ignore with Precision anyway(with the exception of walls). If you draw both skills it's just an utter waste. I'm seriously considering removing Crackshot from the Skill deck because of this (especially for games with first time players).

Assuming you're leaving Crackshot in the deck, any interpretation which makes it stronger seems like a good idea to me - especially if it differentiates it from Precision (which notably cannot be used to ignore a pit if the hero is standing in it).

So I'm not sure about the RAW for Crackshot, but I can't see anything to disallow it, and even if there were some Rules As Written that disallow it I would be inclined to ignore them. Crackshot needs all the help it can get in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clarke
United Kingdom
St Albans
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree with Doug: I consider Crack Shot the worst skill in the game, bar none. I *have* removed it from the skill deck.
I don't think the answer to the original post is in any doubt at all- of course Crack Shot lets you shoot out of a pit: that's pretty much exactly what it was designed to do. It's still terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asdrubael Vect
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you can also burn the entire game to ashes..you have the option but you're ruining the game...and crackshot is not that bad.learn to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your insightful response. I'm sure we're all very grateful for your advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.