Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I myself have not playtested any other maps yet. Has anyone tried the base maps from steam with steam barons? If so what sort of starting shares does each company start with. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I've heard 6 shares for each company. I imagine the French board would be easier than the Northeast USA board. I picture the NE USA board to be absolutely brutal in Steam Barons myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiderjakk wrote:
I've heard 6 shares for each company. I imagine the French board would be easier than the Northeast USA board. I picture the NE USA board to be absolutely brutal in Steam Barons myself.

Interesting. I have only played the england map so far. Will give the eastern U.S Map on the steam barons board. I know I read that the bigger the board you will adjust shares. So in theory the base maps from steam may require 6-8 shares per company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Eastern US board via PBEM has been wide open, even with 6 companies and 8 shares. Entering final turn on things. Granted, this is a first play for many of us on this board. I prefer the England board much more because it is tighter and the build rules are consistent, but the eastern US does feel more thematic starting from port cities and expanding more with each turn.

I will have to try the Northeast USA. My suspicion is that cubes would run out and companies would be beating the tar out of each other like cats hanging from their tails on a fence post. And that ain't pretty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiderjakk wrote:
Eastern US board via PBEM has been wide open, even with 6 companies and 8 shares. Entering final turn on things. Granted, this is a first play for many of us on this board. I prefer the England board much more because it is tighter and the build rules are consistent, but the eastern US does feel more thematic starting from port cities and expanding more with each turn.

I will have to try the Northeast USA. My suspicion is that cubes would run out and companies would be beating the tar out of each other like cats hanging from their tails on a fence post. And that ain't pretty.

laugh clearly.

If I try different maps I will write a session report for sure. I will also link it onto this posting.

Please do the same if you try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I will do so - I wish I could get it out on the table more, but my nearest gaming group (when I get out to see them) is about 25 miles away.

The PBEM route might be interesting on the regular Steam board though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiderjakk wrote:
I will do so - I wish I could get it out on the table more, but my nearest gaming group (when I get out to see them) is about 25 miles away.

The PBEM route might be interesting on the regular Steam board though.

Sacreligous question I'm sure. What's PBEM?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
No such thing as a sacrilegious question - on this thread at least.

It's an abbreviation for "play by email." Downside is, really long games. Upside is, well, you get to play a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I still have not tried it with other maps yet. I ran into the problem in regards to black cities on the base maps. Since there is not any, or any gray cities for that matter. I would not know how to properly set up for a game. Anybody, find a way, to play on different maps, besides the steam baron maps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Richmond
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tikiguy wrote:
Well I still have not tried it with other maps yet. I ran into the problem in regards to black cities on the base maps. Since there is not any, or any gray cities for that matter. I would not know how to properly set up for a game. Anybody, find a way, to play on different maps, besides the steam baron maps?

Hey, I just tried this on the map of Germany that comes with Steam. I did not make any adjustments (no black cities/cubes). With just five rounds, it was not feasible to reach some of the towns, and some cubes (in this case, blue) never really got connected to the right cities for delivery.

The US map that comes with Steam Barons is about the same size (~200 hexes) and has about the same number of towns (14 or 15), but there are 4 to 6 cities of each color instead of just 3, plus there are the black cities, making it a lot easier to get goods to their appropriate destination in just five rounds. Even the smaller map (Northern England) has 4 cities for most colors, 3 black cities, and more towns (21), despite having ~20 fewer hexes.

As a first stab at adapting the Germany map from Steam to Steam Baron rules, I'd say you'll want to add all of the new city tiles to the board, including gray ones, which serve the same function as black cities on Steam Barons' boards. Add black cubes to the bag, but remove them instead of gray cubes when added to the board.

Unfortunately, this approach diminishes the theme, since these new cities do not necessarily represent real urban locations. If you wanted to avoid this, put the city tiles on current towns and then use some other tokens to mark eight new towns on the board. I might try this myself, and I'll let folks know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Richmond
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, here's what I did to use the Ruhr map from Steam. It provided a much better experience than simply using the standard set-up.

Placement of New Cities and Towns

Shuffle all the new city tiles and draw one at a time for placement on the board during set-up. For each tile, roll a six-sided die and place that tile on the town indicated below.

A. 1st and 2nd Tile Drawn
1 - Maastricht
2 - Venlo
3 - Krefeld
4 - Neuss
5 - Duren
6 - reroll

B. 3rd and 4th Tile Drawn
1 - Wesel
2 - Mulheim
3 - Recklinghausen
4 - Bochum
5 - Hagan
6 - reroll

C. 5th and 6th Tile Drawn
1 - Wuppertal
2 - Solingen
3 - Remscheid
4 - Siegburg
5 - Siegen
6 - reroll

D. 7th and 8th Tile Drawn
1-2 - reroll on Table A.
3-4 - reroll on Table B.
5-6 - reroll on Table C.

Then, get out 8 City Growth tiles, which will serve as markers for new towns. You will roll an 8-sided and a 12-sided die---aka a d8 and a d12--to discover the coordinates of each new town. For the first four new towns, look at the result on the d8 and count that many columns of hexes over from the left, then look at the d12 and count that many hexes down from the top of the map. For example, a result of 1 on the d8 and 5 on the d12 would indicate Eindhoven. For the 5th through 8th new towns, use the d8 result to count columns from the right. Of course, if you come up with a location already occupied by a city or town, reroll.

Once done, you should have 8 new cities and 8 new towns on the board.

Quick Method - Leave towns as is and use the d8 and d12 to place new cities on empty tiles. This approach is faster but less historical, since you are placing cities in areas that are not necessarily urbanized.

Goods Placement

Add black cubes to the goods bag. Draw cubes as instructed by the rules for Steam Barons, but discard black cubes instead of gray.

Other than these additional steps during set-up, play the game normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.