Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got BOH. tried to set up a scenario that stated the American leaders had "eureka" units. I am stumped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had similar problems. Ignore most of that text and just make sure you match the numerical value of the counters. Unfortunately, the designer assumes you know certain historical details of military units that aren't actually discussed in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the encouragement. I will try to work through it.
Hopefully, it will all make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...that might not be the best choice of scenarios for your first game because of the night rules. I can recommend the demo scenario Assault on Vierville. Very low unit count, and nothing really complicated in terms of events.

As for the Eureka units, they were some sort of light the Pathfinders were supposed to set up in the different drop zones. You can use any marker to denote them for the game purposes.

Road to Foucarville is another pretty easy one you might take a look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah,

It's a good system once you get to know it. Find a scenario with only foot units and a small amount of counters and just work your way through it. After you get a few rounds in, it all clicks and you can see the simplicity of the system. It gets somewhat more complicated with vehicles, but not too bad.

My advice is to treat the intro paragraphs as flavour text and nothing else. There are no instructions there, and whatever you read in the setup and gameplay instructions is all you need to know to play the scenario.

(I say this because in my first effort to play the system, I decided to solo a scenario that talked about two soldiers in the intro paragraph and then the setup only specified one. That and the frequent references to specific groups of soldiers (95th airborne, etc) that I couldn't actually find any reference to made me worried I was doing something wrong or missing something fundamental in the box... likes sheets of counters or something).

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advise and recommendations. I will try Vierville

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest that you go through their flash demo of an example of play. Go to: http://www.locknloadgame.com/Section_Cat_Content_Detail.asp?...

Click on "Load Walkthrough Of Basic Infantry Combat"

That won't help you understand the specifics of your scenario, but it will show you how play is handled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the link. I wonder why I missed that. time to sit down again and try to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radsailor wrote:
thanks for the link. I wonder why I missed that. time to sit down again and try to play.

It is easy to miss. The LNL site is hard to navigate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Barker
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you still need help, let me know. We can set up a vassal game to help instruct you. Good Luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am slowly getting it. I had an easier time getting the general concepts of Fields of Fire.
I think it something about the way the rulebook is written that is discordant with my brain's learning mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not alone. It took me several playings with rulebook in hand to wrap my brain around all the nuances. Well worth it, as it is a light but fun game.

One huge difference between us is that I had to walk away from Fields of Fire. There may be a game in there somewhere, but to me it is just a pile of components at this point. LnL I understand and enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally played through a scenario and I am starting to get it.
Re Fields of Fire. You should really give a try. It takes lots of perseverance, but is an incredible game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.