Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Marking "Cursed" Investigator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Chan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Starting my first game of AH. Used the long setup process to get into the mood of the game

Started playing and ran into my first hiccup. My investigator was "cursed", but I cannot figure out how to mark him as "cursed" so I remember that only "6's" are success.

Also, I believe he remains cursed until he is blessed sometime later in the game?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
When an investigator is cursed, (s)he takes the Cursed -card. It explains how it is discarded, which is either by being blessed or rolling [a certain number] on upkeep (not on the following upkeep on acquiring the card).
You may have missed the card, since all Curse cards have a Blessing on the flip side. Check your small cards again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Northburns wrote:
When an investigator is cursed, (s)he takes the Cursed -card. It explains how it is discarded, which is either by being blessed or rolling [a certain number] on upkeep (not on the following upkeep on acquiring the card).
You may have missed the card, since all Curse cards have a Blessing on the flip side. Check your small cards again

Thanks for the quick reply. It was during Phase III "Encounters", "No Gate". My investigator pulled the following location card for "Silver Twilight Lodge":
Brushing up against a strange object...Pass a Luck (-1) check or you are Cursed.

Well, my guy only had a luck of 1, so the card dropped his luck to 0, which according to the rule book is automatic "cursed".

So, I guess he is cursed and I should keep the location card with him to remind myself he is cursed? I also assuming he will remain cursed until he is blessed?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
bssybeep wrote:
So, I guess he is cursed and I should keep the location card with him to remind myself he is cursed? I also assuming he will remain cursed until he is blessed?

No, wait. Here:

These are the Blessing and Curse cards. They will instruct you on when your investigator no longer suffers the effects of the cards.
[A really late edit, but I won't double post on principle]
When you gain a card like that, you don't roll for removal on the following upkeep. Can't remember where it is stated in the rulebook(s), but its somewhere.
[/ edit]

bssybeep wrote:
Brushing up against a strange object...Pass a Luck (-1) check or you are Cursed.

Well, my guy only had a luck of 1, so the card dropped his luck to 0, which according to the rule book is automatic "cursed".

You could always use clue tokens.
EDIT--
Check page 13 of the rulebook, paragraph "Spending Clue Tokens of Skill Checks" for more detail. Just saying that it's not an automatic failure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Northburns wrote:
bssybeep wrote:

No, wait. Here:

These are the Blessing and Curse cards. They will instruct you on when your investigator no longer suffers the effects of the cards.
bssybeep wrote:

You could always use clue tokens.
EDIT--
Check page 13 of the rulebook, paragraph "Spending Clue Tokens of Skill Checks" for more detail. Just saying that it's not an automatic failure

Thanks for the replies. I forgot about the Blessed/Cursed cards stacked with the hundreds of other card stacks on my table . Makes sense now. thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
btw, if one of my investigators is Cursed and i go to the church to be blessed, do I get blesses or simply discard the curse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
AsGSnak wrote:
btw, if one of my investigators is Cursed and i go to the church to be blessed, do I get blesses or simply discard the curse?

You only discard the curse. I'm pretty sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I think that too. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When setting up the game, I put the Blessing/Curse cards on the board next to South Church, Retainer by the Newspaper, Loan by the Bank & Deputy cards by the Police Station. That way they don't get lost among all the other cards.

I also place the Arkham Loacation Encounter cards on the board near the appropriate neighborhood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ackerman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to confirm. A blessing on a cursed investigator merely removes the curse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bwayjace wrote:
Just wanted to confirm. A blessing on a cursed investigator merely removes the curse.

Yes, that is why they are double-sided and only 8 of them (for 8 players). You can only ever have 1 in play. If you are cursed and then get blessed, simple remove teh curse. it will take a seconf blessing to add the blessed card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.