Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your thoughts and it has lead to about and I am wondering if I am doing something terribly wrong. Obama's specials just seem far superior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be pointed out that McCain's media special ("Don't roll for your negative cards.") is better than Obama's ("Both players roll twice for negative cards.") In so much as McCain's card definitely helps him (assuming your draft isn't random) whereas Obama's card may not affect McCain at all (since he may decide to not draft negative).

It's a bit of "He knows I know..." but McCain's card only relies on his own choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is true, McCain's special media is better.

HOWEVER, I find that for both candidates, the standard media control cards are better than the specials. So for McCain, I would still take the standard media card over this in most cases.

The media cards tend to get killed quick anyway, its just the last one that ends up sticking around.

If my McCain opponent lead out with his special media control card, I would just let it sit there forever, if I thought he had other media cards in his deck, unless he showed to have many attack cards as well.

Additionally, while you might think that McCain's better 3rd media card gives him a media advantag,e I find that this isnt the case. Obama's Audacity of Hope lets him cycle faster to get his media cards more to maintain control. Also Obama removes McCains fundraiser with No More Politics, and this also helps him get his media cards faster.

So Obama wins ties if both candidates have equal #s of media cards. If its 3-2 McCain is actually close to even! Obama with 2 Media cards in his deck can pretty much dominate the media, and if his opponent doesnt have media cards he pitches the extra one.

On Media cards in general, it seems good to either have one more than your opponent, or to have 0 if they have a lot. Of course, if your McCain then having o to their 3 means Obama pitches the extra to Audacity, so youre still screwed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just wanted to make sure everyone saw the posted ruling in this thread, since we have several going on somewhat related topics.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/492378/mccains-retrieve-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Obama's specials are better than McCain's.

"The Audacity of Hope" is a nice way to filter out bad cards, especially late in the game. If you have a demographic-heavy deck and have exhausted most of the relevant states, the "dead weight" in your hand can now be culled easily.

"No More Politics as Usual" not only allows you to knock out one of McCain's cards but it also reduces your own deck size, which makes it easier to cycle through. McCain can counter with "The Game Changer," but even then McCain is only back to where he used to be. Obama has still gained deck efficiency and has robbed McCain of a strong card for at least a little while.

Just the threat of "No More Politics" can make McCain have to load his hand with inefficient cards. When I play as McCain, I tend to draft two media cards so that Obama doesn't knock out my only one and have a monopoly. Then I like to carry "The Game Changer" as well. That's 20% of my deck I'm using essentially as defense. Not good.

The McCain special media card is probably better than Obama's, but as Alexfrog says the standard media cards are better anyway.

Does anyone see McCain's specials as superior? If so, why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.