Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iain Jarvis
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Just to fill you in, me and my girlfriend are new to gaming and could use some help selecting some games that we will enjoy.

Neither me nor my girlfriend ever really considered board games as something that we would be interested in but a few months ago I found a copy of Lord of the Rings in a charity shop. It was only £1.50 and I like lotr so I parted wit my cash, thinking that I could give it a go some time with my friends.

None of my friends were interested so some how I managed to persuade my girlfriend to have a game with me. To our surprise we really enjoyed it, especially the co-op aspect of the game. Neither of us had ever experienced such a thing in a board game before. We have now played it to death and have ordered the expansions to add a new aspect to it.

A friend suggested that we try Risk and leant us his version of Star Wars Clone Wars Risk. We enjoyed the piece placement and world domination aspect of the game but my girlfriend didn’t like the dice mechanics saying it was too much luck and not enough about judgment or skill (she did loose the game so that might have something to do with her statement) and I kind of felt the same.

so to conclude were looking for:

2 player games would be best, the theme does not really bother us, co-op’s would be cool but so would a war game with less dice rolling (if there is such a thing). I would say that our daily game-play limit is 2-3 hours but I am judging this on our game of Risk, a different game may hold our attention for longer.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions,

i.j.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Pandemic - it's a coop game that plays well with 2 people, and you're saving the world. It plays in about an hour (unless you die first... one time we lost on the first turn!) and there are no dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For playing with a boyfriend or girlfriend, I would recommend a few different games to handle almost any kind of mood:

Pandemic
Small World
Lost Cities
Blue Moon City
Mr. Jack

Also, check out the various 2P Geeklists. You'll find a ton of good suggestions.

Good luck!

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a war game with no dice then you want to get your hands on Small World.

Another popular area control game that I really enjoy is Mission: Red Planet. That game is mainly for 3 or more players though.

War on Terror works well with two...but plays best with more. It has dice for several things, but the excellent cards are the main focus of the game. Funny satirical game that is actually fun to play as well.

Cosmic Encounter is my absolute favorite game and I highly recommend it. You technically need at least 3 people, but it's totally worth it. There are some decent two player variants though. The variable alien powers make this one of the most unique and highly replayable games on the market.

Good Luck!

~ Bones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up Witch of Salem and thats a really intense co-op game. The girlfriend really loves it. It has beautiful components and its very easy to play...very hard to beat though.

Also look into Ghost Stories. Thats a superb co-op. Very thematic and extremely intense to win. It's a very pretty game as well. Another favorite of the girlfriend.

~ Bones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Spikes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second the Pandemic and Small World recommendations.

Pandemic fits with the cooperative theme, and I find it to be really enjoyable and thematic.

Small World would fit the bill for an area control game (like Risk), and it doesn't use dice as its main combat mechanic. My SO likes it because you know what you can do at the start of your turn--you don't have to wait for the dice to tell you what you can achieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
mjacobsca wrote:
Also, check out the various 2P Geeklists. You'll find a ton of good suggestions.

here you go
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/4488/item/69698#item69...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Hastwell
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Pandemic. There's a lot to be had from the base game, but when you're eventually done with that, add the expansion for a whole new set of challenges!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a variation on the diceless wargame idea, you might look into:

Twilight Struggle, and
1960: The Making of the President.

They are both reasonable-length, 2-player only, and a lot of fun. The games are similar enough that you probably only want one, so choose the theme that works for you.

I also agree that Pandemic is a solid choice for a two-player cooperative game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rugstar wrote:

2 player games would be best, the theme does not really bother us, co-op’s would be cool but so would a war game with less dice rolling (if there is such a thing).

you might like LOTR: the confrontation, which takes maybe 10 minutes per play but is smart, no dice and fun.

other two player games we play a lot, or wish we played more (without dice):
hera and zeus
jambo
blue moon
blue moon city
through the desert
samurai
tigris and euphrates
mr. jack
citadels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Pandemic
Dominion
Saint Petersburg
San Juan
Tobago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Frazier
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic great game and can play 2-5 players

Galaxy Trucker 2-4? players, not really co-op but fun nonetheless

Fury of Dracula (second edition) can be played 2-5 players. One player is Dracula and there are 4 hunters than try to track him down using logic! More fun with 4 human hunters as Dracula gets to hear their strategy. Dice rolling is for combat and movement

Small World 2-5p Risk like game but with a little bit different type of strategy. Die roll only comes in to effect if you're attempting to take over a piece of land that you don't have enough troops. There are different maps to play on depending on the # of players

My wife likes to play:
Guillotine
Phase 10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Hickman Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I have really enjoyed various 2-player games over the years. Most recenlty we almost always play Magic:the Gathering (which isn't a board game), however some previous favorites that stand out are:

Agricola
Settlers of Catan card game
Jambo
Race for the Galaxy
Dominion (and expansions)
Memoir 44
Roll Through the Ages

Good luck finding something you enjoy, gaming is a wonderful hobby to share
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai is a really good game to consider. Scales well for any number of players due to the board fitting like a puzzle piece. Works well for two players.

Welcome to the geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
It plays in about an hour (unless you die first...)

I want this printed on the front cover of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. DJ FancyLove
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you mentioned dice games aren't really what you're looking for but I would really look into Arkham Horror and Memoir '44.

I'm currently in your situation with the girlfriend as well. We haven't had the chance to play Arkham Horror yet but that is our next on our list. I have it and to be honest it's one of my favorite games, and I don't care for dice rolling too much either. That and it's also a really fun co-op game.

Memoir '44 can be considered a Risk "lite" I guess. Again it's a dice rolling game, but there is enough strategy there to keep even the not so dice happy people really entertained.

Anyways, those are my top two at the moment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd add ticket to ride in consideration. you can even try the game online free a couple of times. it plays 2 player and even accomodates 5 as you mentioned in your post about wanting to game with others as well so i think it'd scale well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Jarvis
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thx for all your help guys, we are looking at getting Pandemic, Small world and maybe Space Trucker (looks loads of fun but a bit on the pricey side is it worth it?)

thx again for all your suggestions.

i.j.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivia Poulsen
Denmark
Tilst
Select State or Province
flag msg tools
Rugstar wrote:
thx for all your help guys, we are looking at getting Pandemic, Small world and maybe Space Trucker (looks loads of fun but a bit on the pricey side is it worth it?)

thx again for all your suggestions.

i.j.

I'm guessing that you mean Galaxy Trucker and not Space Trucker? ;) Anyway, just wanted to say that it is most definitely worth it even with the pricy price tag. It is a hilarious game, but I have to warn you - you are going to want to buy the expansion! I did so myself only a week after the purchase of the base game. It is the most expensive game we have in our collection!

But you should definitely also check out Pandemic as everyone else has mentioned - it's great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several have mentioned Memoir '44. Another series of games by the same designer are Command & Colors, Ancients. I have noticed many posts where husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend teams enjoy C&C very much. You should give it a try.

Another series of games, which are card driven, are the Combat Commander games.

You can see the rules for both of these series of games, and other information, by going to GMTgames.com (or just GMT.com, don't remember which because it is set up as a favorite on my browser).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Jarvis
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes I did mean Galaxy Trucker my apologies (that's what you get for eating your dinner and posting at the same time) so would you say the expansion is a must? together it will cost £100 ish that seems like a lot. for a game we have never tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott aka SuperRadScott aka
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw my in here too.

My wife and I just started to branch out from Monopoly and Scrabble. This is what we've been playing and loving:

Hive: A great two-player, and more enjoyable than Lost Cities, which is also very good in its own right.

Small World: Better and quicker than Risk- replacing luck of the dice for pure strategy. Great for two, but equally good for five.

Pandemic: One that I didn't think my wife would enjoy, but the cooperative puzzle-solving element really made it fun... as long as both cooperate and no one dominates. Also a great double-date game.

Ticket to Ride: Such a simple game, and yet so much casual fun. This is our go-to "game night with non-gamers" game. Once they get used to it, we'll introduce Small World or Pandemic to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few not mentioned that the Lady and I enjoy:

Tikal
Railways of the World
Taluva
Mesopotamia
Arkadia
Chicago Express
Kingsburg
Entdecker: Exploring New Horizons
Domaine
Elasund: The First City
Chang Cheng

Welcome to the magnificent world of board gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two extensive rollups of this question into geeklists that i think will cover the question better than polling a small part of the community:

1578 wives and girlfriends speak out...

The Quintessential Wife, Girlfriend and Spouse Recommendation GeekList
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.