Popular Tags: [View All]
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got whupped by Donna in the commando school scenario, her Germans won because they had the initiative card at a 0-point tie. Both of us are exhausted from the tension but considered it a great game. First time I've ever seen the same units (hers) exit the board twice on the long axis.

At one point the pioneers with satchel charge played move + assault fire. Then moved adjacent to my Russkie commandos. I played OP Fire as an action and started calculating my firepower. She wanted to assault fire with the Satchel charge before I got to Op fire. We realized that the moving Germans were already activated, so maybe they would get priority, but the Op fire happens as movement points are expended before the Germans get to range 1, so the Russians would get priority. I'm pretty sure the Op Fire happens first, but couldn't find it in the rule book.

Please assist.

Thanks in advance, Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In O21.6 Timing Movement it states that "After each MP expenditure, the inacive player must play all Actions that he wishes before the active player may play his first one".

So since she had moved, you had priority in firing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Beautiful simple answer.

I reckon that the text in the rulebook was written at Hogwarts.

Most times I have a rules query, it is clearly answered in the rule book. On the odd occasion I can't find the answer, someone on the Geek points out the exact, clearly indicated, rule that I had missed despite reading the book over and over. It's magic ink I tell you; appears on demand!

Regards,

Fentum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cindy, thanks for the perfect rulebook reference,

BUT in our case the Assault Fire action had ALREADY been 'PLAYED' before the first new hex was entered.

Perhaps, we should NOT HAVE allowed the Assault fire to be played until the player intended to execute it. Hmmm, that makes a lot of sense. Play and complete the execution of an action before anything else takes place.

What do you think ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Cindy, thanks for the perfect rulebook reference,

BUT in our case the Assault Fire action had ALREADY been 'PLAYED' before the first new hex was entered.

Therefore, might it be more clear if the rulebook said "After each MP expenditure, the inacive player must play all Actions that he wishes before the active player may play EXECUTE his first one" ??

What do you think, Chad ??

There are realy no rules for wating to execute a played action. Basically, when playing it, you execute it immediately. So if you do not want to fire before you enter that hex, you play the card after you have entered that hex, after your opponenet have had her opportunity to fire any opfire triggered by you entering that hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Perhaps, we should NOT HAVE allowed the Assault fire to be played until the player intended to execute it.

That's correct as Harald points out. Since you can play Assault Fire without moving units, only activating them, the moment it is played is when the assault fire will occur.

Since your wife wanted to use it with a satchel charge which only has a range of one, unless her unit was already adjacent to the target hex she wanted to use it in then she would have to wait on using the action until after that unit had moved into range. Upon spending the MP to get into range is when your OP Fire would kick in, before her Assault Fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Jackson
United States
Belfair
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be wrong, but I dont think you can use a satchel charge with an assault fire action because it is considered ordanance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use a satchel charge during Assault Fire. The restriction is that the firing unit/weapon must have boxed firepower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that if you use a boxed-FP ordnance weapon for Assault fire, that is the ONLY attack you can make with the action.

Assault fire used by a unit with a flamethrower is particularly fearful !!

Not even a saved "advance backwards" order will protect you from range 1 Assault fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DT Dyer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Note that if you use a boxed-FP ordnance weapon for Assault fire, that is the ONLY attack you can make with the action.

This is because ordnance can't be part of a fire group and Assault Fire "allows a single Fire Attack."
Although you could play a second Assault Fire and follow up the satchel charge with some smg fire. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is correct,by my lights.

Once in a Stalingrad scenario I found a move order and and two assault fire actions in my opening hand. The Russians started with a two radius leader not far from my German Flamethrower-armed squad. Neither that excellent leader nor the squad with him survived the first German turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nasty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.